Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can I retrieve/reset my Airport Extreme password without losing my network settings?

Can I retrieve/reset my Airport Extreme password without losing my network settings?
gemigene
Apr 8, 2009, 06:50 PM

Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station on which I have to do a firmware update (7.3.2 to 7.4.1) but being that I forgot my base station password, I can't proceed.

Is there a way to retrieve the password or do I need to reset the router? And if the latter, do I have to reconfigure everything from scratch or simply enter a new password for the base station? I don't need to reset my network password because I remember it.

The password was not saved in the keychain but in an encrypted file which I lost when my main iMac's HD crashed last week.

Thanks,
Gene

(Leopard 10.5.6)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2009, 07:13 PM

I don't know of any way to do that. You may have to reset it. However, as a precaution, this time around you could export your Airport's settings so you have a copy of them. If you ever forget your password again, you can reset the Airport and import the settings you saved.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2009, 07:46 PM

Since I don't have an AirPort device I do not have any experience with this, but wouldn't there be a Keychain entry for the Extreme?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gemigene  (op)
Apr 8, 2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Since I don't have an AirPort device I do not have any experience with this, but wouldn't there be a Keychain entry for the Extreme?
Unfortunately, all my keychain info died with my main IMac's HD...

Thanks,
Gene

gemigene  (op)
Apr 8, 2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I don't know of any way to do that. You may have to reset it. However, as a precaution, this time around you could export your Airport's settings so you have a copy of them. If you ever forget your password again, you can reset the Airport and import the settings you saved.
Thanks for the info.

I read in the online manual that pushing the base station's button for one second resets the password for 5 minutes to "public" which can be changed via Manual Setup from the Base Station's utility menu.

Cheers,
Gene
( Last edited by gemigene; Apr 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typos)

roders
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 08:46 AM

This sounds like a great tip but my Airport Extreme does not accept the "public" password on being soft reset, anyone have any ideas why?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 07:38 PM

How to perform a soft reset

Press and hold the base station reset button for one full second. The base station remains in reset mode for five minutes. If you do not make your changes within five minutes of pressing the reset button, the base station will revert to the previous configuration.
Note: Holding the reset button for 5 seconds or longer will do a hard reset. AirPort will indicate if it's in hard reset mode by blinking faster.

roders
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2009, 02:39 PM

Followed those instructions from Apple, they don 't actually mention the "public" password reset. I had two basestations only one of which I wanted to rest, and was connected to the basestation I wanted to reset via ethernet as well. I had to make sure I was only connected via Airport for this to work as described.

Forum Links
Forum Rules