Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Spontaneous startups

Spontaneous startups
wnymark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2002, 01:37 AM

Has anyone experienced spontaneous startups? I have a 7300 with a Newer G3 card, running OS9.1. Lately the only way I can shut down my mac is to pull the power plug! When I select shut down from the special menu it restarts as soon as the shut down process is completed. Also, when I disconnect the computer and reconnect it , it starts up on its own!

What I have done:
(1) turned of all third party extensions
(2) rebuilt the desktop
(3) zapped the pram
(4) checked inside to see if problem with on/off button

Any suggestions appreciated...

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 01:39 AM

This happens with my imac 400. It's been dying slowly for the past 6 months, this is one of the first weird things it started doing. Of course it's a web and file server so it's always up, but on the rare occasion that I have shut it down, it just restarts. I have to pull the power plug.

SOrry I couldnt offer any advice, just sharing my experience.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2002, 01:50 AM

Several situations;

Check your Shutdown and Start up folders in your system folder and clean em' out unless you know exactly what the file/files (being that there is any) do. Also, check under your Energy Saver Control Panel to check if the "Restart after power failure" selection is selected and unselect it. (lol)

This last one is most suspect.

vasu
Senior User
Sep 15, 2002, 08:32 AM

Those older macs still had a power button in the back. When they were pushed in a twisted, it'd set it such that it couldn't be shut down.

Check to see if that button is pushed in, sometimes it happens by accident. Like the machine gets pushed up against a wall and the button gets depresed and twisted slightly.

-vasu

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2002, 09:49 AM

I'd check the internal battery ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2002, 01:34 PM

On the 7300 it could be a faulty logic board but my bet is the PSU is on the way out. The iMac will be the "Video Analogue Board" it has a faulty power board and thats on the VA board.

For the 7300 it may be cheaper to look for an old one on ebay and swap the PSU its easy to do.

Hope this helps.

catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2002, 10:47 PM

Have you tried a different keyboard?

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 02:52 AM

Under Energy Saver control panel/pref pane turn off Restart after power failure.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by oscar:
Under Energy Saver control panel/pref pane turn off Restart after power failure.
Hmmm... that gives me an idea.

I have a flourescent light plugged into the same power strip as my mac. Even though the computer and peripherals are on their own UPS, turning off the light wakes the G4 from sleep. Turning on the light has no effect. Its so perfectly 100.00% consistant that it almost seems intentional. I've considered running an extension cord into the next room so that wireless laptop users could turn off the light in order to wake the software basestation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules