Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4: Good deal?

G4: Good deal?
Thread Tools
newyear=newmac?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2003, 07:36 PM
 
Greetings, I am on the cusp of getting a new G4. What do you think of this deal, as far as quality and price. I use a lot of Photoshop, some web design, and online surfing/work.

Thanks again,

John

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=131033

Power Mac Dual 1.25GHz 256MB RAM Combo FREE Extra 512MB RAM

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA Drive, Combo, 56K
Modem, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, NIC,4 USB, 2 FW 400 1 FW 800, AP Extreme Ready,

Mac OS X *RAM Requires $39.99 instal fee. $2,033.99
     
Rodster
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2003, 08:56 PM
 
Originally posted by newyear=newmac?:
Greetings, I am on the cusp of getting a new G4. What do you think of this deal, as far as quality and price. I use a lot of Photoshop, some web design, and online surfing/work.

Thanks again,

John

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=131033

Power Mac Dual 1.25GHz 256MB RAM Combo FREE Extra 512MB RAM

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA Drive, Combo, 56K
Modem, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, NIC,4 USB, 2 FW 400 1 FW 800, AP Extreme Ready,

Mac OS X *RAM Requires $39.99 instal fee. $2,033.99
You can buy the same machine from Apple, drop the modem (probably don't need it). All for $1,970.00 Apple also includes free shipping. I don't know what kind of brand they are using for memory. But my experience has been to go with Corsair, Crucial or Mushkin. The most stable brands of memory you can buy. The deal is a wash really. I would prefer to deal straight with Apple. I've heard both good and bad about MacMall.com

Peace!
     
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2003, 09:58 PM
 
Originally posted by Rodster:
You can buy the same machine from Apple, drop the modem (probably don't need it). All for $1,970.00 Apple also includes free shipping. I don't know what kind of brand they are using for memory. But my experience has been to go with Corsair, Crucial or Mushkin. The most stable brands of memory you can buy. The deal is a wash really. I would prefer to deal straight with Apple. I've heard both good and bad about MacMall.com

Peace!

But Apple will bring the price up to $2,300 or so after taxes.

Try MacZone for cheap shipping, MacConnection is not bad either and usually have deals going (both of them).

I just really don't like MacMall much anymore after being a loyal customer for over 10 years.
     
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2003, 10:01 PM
 
http://www.macconnection.com/scripts...duct_id=330419

This has the free 512 MB RAM but no installation fee, so the total is just $1,994.00.
     
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2003, 11:54 PM
 
yeah i think that installation fee is a joke, i mean common it takes them what 2 min to pop it in.

i know they are coveing their asses for the free ram but still it just looks sneaking, like a used car sales man charging for the under coating

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!
     
Rodster
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2003, 01:07 AM
 
Originally posted by CheesePuff:
But Apple will bring the price up to $2,300 or so after taxes.

Try MacZone for cheap shipping, MacConnection is not bad either and usually have deals going (both of them).

I just really don't like MacMall much anymore after being a loyal customer for over 10 years.
You're right I forgot about that. I live in Oregon so we don't pay sales tax.
     
Camelot
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 1999
Location: San Jose, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
 
Reality Check:

Choose your favorite vendor, call them, tell them that vendor x is offering the product for $yy and ask them to price match.

You get the price you want from the vendor you prefer.

If the rep you get isn't having a good day and doesn't want to play ball, hang up and call back - another rep might be doing better.

Just don't go telling them that the competitor's price is too low - they may check it and you lose face (although, how much face you lose on the phone is debatable )

Also, if you find a rep you like, ask for their extension and/or direct line and tell them you'll call them for all your needs. I have a very good relationship with my MacConnection rep and always get much better pricing than their catalog or web site offer.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.
     
catzilla1228
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 16, 2003, 12:11 AM
 
Consider open box returns. I just bought that machine for $1760 at Macmall.
It looks new,the protective film was still on.
     
rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: seattle
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2003, 04:04 PM
 
@APPLE
Refurbished Power Macs
Power Mac G4 867MHz DUAL/256MB/60GB/DVD-ROM/CDRW/GigE/56K - Refurbished Add $1,299.00
Power Mac G4 1GHz DUAL/256MB/80GB/DVD-R/CDRW/GigE/56K - Refurbished Add $1,699.00
Power Mac G4 1.25GHz DUAL/512MB/120GB/DVD-R/CDRW/GigE/56K - Refurbished Add $2,199.00

<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.1.1.0?67,29>
     
Hemi425
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2003, 08:49 PM
 
what ever you go with you'kk be good, althogh that dual 1.25 gig looks impressive. I got a dual 1 gig a couple of months ago and love it.
If you listen to a UNIX shell do you
hear the C?

WARNING: The above post was not
checked for spelling or grammical
errors.
     
cgc
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Down by the river
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2003, 12:11 PM
 
When I bought my G4 from MacZone I asked told them that I would install my own memory and saved their "installation fee." MacZone was good to me in every regard.

BTW, if you are in military or are in DEERS, you can buy from Apple through the AAFES web site and should get free shipping and no taxes.
     
purplenerple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2003, 01:33 PM
 
I've got a great rep at Mac connection (Babbette x4403) she always hooks me up with anything I need and a cut throat rate. She finds the best deals she can get me. I've never had a problem.
You can't make a silk purse out
of sow's ear.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,