Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > backlit keyboard on 12inch AlBook?

backlit keyboard on 12inch AlBook?
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 12:00 AM

Hey all, soo....how hard would it be to retrofit one of these? i know you are supposed to be able to control what it does (i.e. dim screen, etc) through system prefs right? but if you retrofit onto a 12" can it just be on all the time? i wouldn't mind that

DVD Plaza
Senior User
May 12, 2003, 05:09 AM

if you retrofit onto a 12" can it just be on all the time? i wouldn't mind that [/B]
You would mind actually - the lit keys make the characters appear grey, perfect in the dark but if you are in a lit room then grey characters on grey keys means you can't read the keyboard.

The 17" keyboard lights up too dim 90% of the time, similar problem. I've been trying to force it to stay 100%, best I've achieve thus far is to make it permanently stay on ALL THE TIME at 100% - thus I know that it is unreadable like that because I had to undo it to make the keyboard readable again

wanderlust
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 05:50 AM

Hmm. Haven't had any trouble reading my keys in any kind of ambiant light, bright, dim, none outdoors or in. I think that was the idea. Works great for me...

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 08:53 AM

i didn't they were too dim....well a co-worker of mine played around with his new 17 on friday....maybe i should try it again today :-) i just think it would be cool to see if it is possible. especially since it seems like they are the same keyboard. etched keys and all

Ti X
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 09:57 AM

I am sure someone is working on it. The problem is that there probably isn't enough room physically within the 12" case to fit the fiber optics and sensors. Also, ALS is part of the OS code in the 17", but I am sure someone will figure out a patch.

I am interested in how I can change the color of the backlighting on my 17". I am just waiting for someone to tell me how.

Forum Links
Forum Rules