Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > baby powerbook - picture

baby powerbook - picture
jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 01:08 AM

-- james
( Last edited by jamesa; Jun 17, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2003, 02:40 AM

Its a photoshopped 12". Look at how thick this thing is.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 02:49 AM

I think it's supposed to have a sort of docking station thing -- the bottom part has the optical drive, while the top is just the computer. So it wouldn't actually be that thick when you carry it around. And yes I'm sure it's fake, but I would *love* one...

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 02:52 AM

( Last edited by jamesa; Jun 17, 2003 at 10:13 AM. )

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 02:58 AM

looks cool
nice photoshop trick (is it?)

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2003, 09:53 AM

The idea of this being real is...yeah, I'm not going to speculate. As far as the Photoshopping, however...

Whoever did it did a damn good job with lighting, angles, etc. I'm very impressed that they took a pic in an actual environment, rather than in front of a backdrop, where lighting, blending, etc isn't such a problem.

They even added a mid-keyboard track button...very impressive.

Where did the pic come from? Are there others?
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2003, 09:58 AM

Talk about widescreen... LOL.

If it came without built in optical making it very slim and if Apple made a nice docking station to go with it (optical drive, VGA, DVI, Ethernet, FW, USB, charger for additional battery) I'd buy it at once.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 10:00 AM

For a photoshopped imaga, this is probably the best one I have ever seen. But it might be real.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 10:54 AM

I can't see the image anymore. But somebody posted a great mockup of a widescreen sub-PowerBook based on the 12-inch in the SpyMac Gallery a few days ago.

I've come to terms with the fact that I will probably buy a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook in a couple of months (or maybe next week after the WWDC keynote ). But I would still much rather have a PowerBook that is even more portable.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by escher:
I can't see the image anymore. But somebody posted a great mockup of a widescreen sub-PowerBook based on the 12-inch in the SpyMac Gallery a few days ago.

I've come to terms with the fact that I will probably buy a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook in a couple of months (or maybe next week after the WWDC keynote ). But I would still much rather have a PowerBook that is even more portable.

Escher
I didn't get this from SpyMac, but it may indeed be the same machine.

-- james

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 11:16 AM

I have a 15" TiBook, but if that one existed and was relatively inexpensive, I be tempted for my next laptop(s) to get BOTH a 17" 970 AluBook AND that baby PB (in 2005).

If that baby PB doesn't exist, I'd get another 15" for sure.

As for the authenticity of the pic... isn't the pic too small to judge? It's not an obvious fake, but it's tough to see much detail.

P.S. escher, Happy Birthday!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2003, 11:17 AM

photoshop is a great app.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2003, 11:22 AM

It's not necessarily too small to judge. Often, you can tell just by looking at the thing, and getting a 'something's not right' feeling, which you can then try and pinpoint. Things like the curves on the corners, lighting on the overall image, and shadows cast by the subject are just as tell-tale as pixelation.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by killer_735:
It's not necessarily too small to judge. Often, you can tell just by looking at the thing, and getting a 'something's not right' feeling, which you can then try and pinpoint. Things like the curves on the corners, lighting on the overall image, and shadows cast by the subject are just as tell-tale as pixelation.
In other words you're saying that if it's a bad fake, it's easy to tell. What I was saying is that it's my undereducated thinking that a good fake would be harder to prove as fake with a small picture.

With such a wondrous scoop, why don't we have at least a 640x480 picture?

P.S. Maybe I wouldn't get one after all if it existed. I hate those eraser thingies. Hmm...

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
In other words you're saying that if it's a bad fake, it's easy to tell. What I was saying is that it's my undereducated thinking that a good fake would be harder to prove as fake with a small picture.

With such a wondrous scoop, why don't we have at least a 640x480 picture?
sorry Eug. Next time I'll present it in 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 for your perusal. </sarcasm>

If you remember the first cube leaks, they were approx the same size.

-- james

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
sorry Eug. Next time I'll present it in 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 for your perusal. </sarcasm>

If you remember the first cube leaks, they were approx the same size.

-- james
If you have them, then post them.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not saying it's 100% fake. Just that we don't have conclusive proof that it's real either, and it'd be nice if we had a bigger picture.

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 12:00 PM

If you have them, then post them.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not saying it's 100% fake. Just that we don't have conclusive proof that it's real either, and it'd be nice if we had a bigger picture.
It would have been nice, but I don't or I would have posted it.

I'm just the messenger here.

-- james

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

Just let me go on record that if this is real I will eat my hat (and then I will immediately place my order & go look for the Pepto Bismol... )
( Last edited by icruise; Jun 17, 2003 at 12:42 PM. )

jamesa  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Just let me go on record that if this is real I will eat my hat (and then I will immediately place my order go look for the Pepto Bismol... )
we better get pics of the eating hat business if it is real

-- james

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 12:44 PM

I've told you guys about my hat made of fruit roll-ups right?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2003, 01:07 PM

yes, but that hat with the fruit-rollups...another photoshop trick??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

graphics84
Senior User
Jun 17, 2003, 01:19 PM

why would that thing be useful to anybody?

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 01:38 PM

does anyone have a pic of the other picture, cause I wanted to print it out and take it to the apple store I work at

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2003, 01:40 PM

portability.
i carried my 2400c (10.4" pre-g3 powerbook) around a lot more than i carry my pismo.

great for writing, simple stuff. maybe not the pb to edit a movie on, but for some of us, portability is a great thing...

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 03:12 PM

I hate the "eraser-things" too, but boy would I learn to love them real quickly for this baby (no pun intended).

The only visual problem my inexperienced eye can see is the shadow right behind what would be the top left were it closed.

Just speculation, but could these be the "pallets" that Apple Stores are supposedly recieving marked unopenable until after the 23rd? Man, I would love this thing to be real...

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2003, 04:27 PM

If this is real, it is pretty cool, the form factor reminds me of a Toshiba Libretto (Toshiba Libretto fanpage with pic running OS 8). I would probably sell my 12" for a Libretto sized Powerbook with what looks like a superdrive underneath it. However, I doubt that it is real because upon examination of the picture, the base part would extend past the closed screen, looking quite strange and un-ives-like resulting in a stepped back. If it does turn out to be real, you will probably see my yao-book on ebay like the other thousands of fraud powerbooks!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 04:44 PM

P.S. escher, Happy Birthday!
Thanks, Eug. Ah, good old Morits Cornelis Escher. He was from the Dutch branch of the family. I was born on the date Apple introduced the first Macintosh, January 24, different year though. It also looks like Steve's WWDC keynote on Monday might be my new birthday.

Escher

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 04:49 PM

Just let me go on record that if this is real I will eat my hat (and then I will immediately place my order & go look for the Pepto Bismol... )
Count me in for the hat-eating. For obvious reasons (see my sig). I'd even eat a real hat for a sub-PowerBook lighter than 3 lbs this Monday, complete with pictures.

Escher

graphics84
Senior User
Jun 17, 2003, 05:03 PM

is this the same image that they are talking about on Mac Rumors?

http://www.macrumors.com

it got pulled so I never saw it but I think they are talking about a desktop...

As for this little guy, it's not too impressive by it's self...

If it has decent video out and can be used as a portable workstation (just add monitor) then it could be of some use to me...

ok, I use my Powerbook as a graphics station... so I couldn't use anything smaller than a 14" to get by (tried the 12 but just too small).

so I guess if you write a lot this would be great...

but not for me (17" is to big too)

except I hate that nipple thing...

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 05:27 PM

I actually downloaded the picture, but what I thougth was mor interesting was the guys story, something about it feel out of the box and he put it in his pants ansue he was checked.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
does anyone have a pic of the other picture, cause I wanted to print it out and take it to the apple store I work at
This would be an insanely bad idea. People have been fired from the retail stores for far less than that. Remember your talking as a representative of Apple now, I went through the same training as you. So if I were you, I wouldn't.
Am I still here?

playby
Jun 17, 2003, 10:00 PM

Here's the giveaway:
There's a latch on the top of the LCD and a button to open it. But there's no mechanism that allows these two to work together. Plus the closed screen having nothing to support it but the keys is a little silly.

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 10:26 PM

I would consider it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
I doubt that it is real because upon examination of the picture, the base part would extend past the closed screen, looking quite strange and un-ives-like resulting in a stepped back.
Good point, but it would have to be that big. Remember that the optical drive is longer than the fore-aft depth of the keyboard. (See 2nd pic.)

The length of the UJ-815 SuperDrive for instance is 13 cm, or a little longer than 5 inches. Thus, a dock thing would have to be around 6-ish inches deep, which would make sense for the picture. So if this is fake (and some in this thread seem to think it may not be), then it means not only is the person a good Photoshopper, but also that the person has put a lot of thought into design too.

Anyways, here are the Miniminibook and the Yao-book next to each other:

Now where are the audio inputs, etc? On the right side I guess.
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 17, 2003 at 10:35 PM. )

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 12:06 AM

i definitely don't disagree that the optical drive and other components would require a large base, but why would the upper half need to be shorter than the base? This would create two bands which seems to create more issues design-wise than just having an extra inch at the bottom of the keyboard or at the top for speakers? Regardless, this is a pretty well-done photoshop job if indeed it is fake. As much as everyone thinks that something like this would be impractical, I think there is a pretty viable market, but not one that would replace the current 12" market. A full featured sub-note is still quite a rarity. sub-note is the closest thing that I have seen.Fujitsu Loox-T is the closest thing I have seen so far, Centrino 900 mhz Pentium-M, 60 GB, 2X superdrive and a 10.6" widescreen in a 3.4 lb package. Admittedly, this is a small market, but when something is as full-featured as this, more and more users would be willing to have a more portable portable than what we have been used to. Making all those bathroom browsers (see other thread) even happier!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by n_lim:
i definitely don't disagree that the optical drive and other components would require a large base, but why would the upper half need to be shorter than the base?
To make the actual portable part as small and light as possible.

If I were in the market for one of these, I definitely would prefer as small a laptop as possible (preferably still with a full-size keyboard), regardless of how big the dock has to be.

Now my main question is Where is the mouse button?

Or would you have to tap the ?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2003, 12:39 AM

I think it's cute.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2003, 01:56 AM

That's ugly and huge compared to this.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 02:14 AM

where is the trackpad is a good question. Touchscreen?? I am starting to hope this is not fake...

wait, hold on, is that a pointing stick I see in the middle of the keyboard?!?!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 02:16 AM

Haven't been paying attention to the thread very closely?

Several people have mentioned the little eraser pointer, but the lack of a mouse button makes this much more likely to be a fake. Also the point about the screen latch not having anywhere to latch onto is a telling one.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2003, 03:44 AM

When this image has gotten so much right, it seems a little hard to totally blow it off because of some possibly hard-to-see latch. Or maybe I'm just a sucker.

As for the lack of a mouse button, usually the eraser head is also the button. Those things are just insanely sensitive and take a lot of getting used to. The eraser head pointer is one time when having standard one-button mice is working FOR Apple.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 04:01 AM

I've never seen an eraser function as a button before. For one thing, up until now they only are installed on PC laptops, and they will have at least two buttons, so I don't see how it would even be possible.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 05:15 AM

Where is the mouse button?
Thats' a good point, but they could use a pen, directly on the screen

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 05:22 AM

Yeah, but then there's no need for the erase-head pointing device.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2003, 07:33 AM

OK, I'll go on record to say it's a fake. I just can't buy the eraserhead as a button thing. I've NEVER seen that, and it would be irritating anyway unless it was a large button. I also can't buy that it's a touchscreen. A touchscreen laptop with a full keyboard but without a mousepad button would an exercise in frustration.

By the way, what are the resolutions of laptop widescreens these days? Judging by the blurred pic, one would expect the horizontal resolution to be at least 1024. Are there 1024x512 screens available? Or was the Photoshopper trying to emulate 1024x600? I seem to recall that these screens existed, but I'm not entirely sure.
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 18, 2003 at 07:39 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 08:10 AM

My 2 year old PC laptop has a 1024 X 512 screen, so yes that's possible. But looking at the size of the menubar I thought the vertical resolution looked higher than that.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 08:16 AM

My 2 year old PC laptop has a 1024 X 512 screen, so yes that's possible. But looking at the size of the menubar I thought the vertical resolution looked higher than that.
That's teh second time you see these details... good job !

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2003, 08:36 AM

Yeah, that's why I was saying at least 1024 for the horizontal. Kinda hard to see there, but one might think it's a higher resolution, like taken from a screen of a TiBook or something (esp. with the thin bezel around the screen).

Also, I was wondering about the dock. On the right there looks like what possibly may be a dock. The button size seems OK (if s/he reduced the size), but the location is wrong (unless those are just icons, and the dock has been hidden).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 08:45 AM

Well, you can have the dock in the right bottom corner if you use Tinkertool, so I don't necessarily think there is a problem there. And in fact, it makes sense to have it at the side with such a wide screen.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2003, 08:48 AM

Well, you can have the dock in the right bottom corner if you use Tinkertool, so I don't necessarily think there is a problem there. And in fact, it makes sense to have it at the side with such a wide screen.
I didn't know Tinkertool did that. Nonetheless, like you, I still think it's fake.

Forum Links
Forum Rules