Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Aluminum Powerbooks: Scratches & Scuffs Easily?

Aluminum Powerbooks: Scratches & Scuffs Easily?
iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 03:07 AM

So, a friend of ours just got the new 17-inch Powerbook and he's mighty unhappy with it. Seems that it scratches VERY easily. Those of you with the aluminum Powerbooks, can you shed some light on this? He says that he does NOT like the aluminum "brushed metal" finish and that he's not pleased with how it wears. Furthermore, being aluminum and not painted, it can't be repainted. He says it shows fingerprints and scuffs easily also, especially on the bottom.

Interesting to hear what everyone will have to say about this -- objectively -- especially those who actually OWN the aluminum Powerbooks.

After hearing how unhappy he is I'm not so sure I even want to upgrade to aluminum to be honest. My 1Ghz dual-booting Superdrive machine is still looking like the best bet...at least for now.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 03:18 AM

Well I've had almost every model of Titanium G4 including the last 1GHz. I have a 17" now and the aluminum is MUCH more resistant to scratches that the paint on the Titanium was. I'm sure you can scratch the aluminum but I haven't yet. If you're friend is upset about the finish on the 17", I can't believe he would feel any better with an earlier machine.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2003, 03:23 AM

No scratches or scuffs so far on my 12" and I've used it quite a lot, and not only at a desk. It does show fingerprints and sometimes gets a little dirty, but that can be easily cleaned off. I did have a few things that looked like scratches, but it turned out that they were just minor scuffs that easily came off with a little rubbing. I wonder if your friend's machine might not come clean in the same way. Anyway, they seem pretty darn sturdy to me.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 03:44 AM

I agree... I have a 17inch powerbook... there's only one scratch on it, and that's cause I accidentally hit it with my watch the other night.

it's REALLY resiliant to scratches. I've had so many scuffs and marks on it, and they just wipe off!

If the titaniums were a... 5 on a scale of one to 10 in terms of easily scrached.. I would say the 12 and 17inch powerbooks are easily a 7.5 or 8.

urrl5201
Jul 8, 2003, 05:05 AM

This is hands down the absolute best and most practical, durable finish I have seen on ANY laptop. Your friend is simply careless and as to fingerprints I have to wonder what he is talking about. Did he even buy a laptop sleeve? Any fingerprints and smudges come of easily if you had concern enough to wipe them off with mildly soapy water. SORRY, the laptop is not self cleaning like an oven. Nor does it make waffles or pancakes. Who in their right mind would want to repaint a laptop anyway? Sorry, I have had too much experience touching up the paint in vain on my former Ti laptops. The paint would chip back off. Hey, tell him to sell it on eBay and buy a twice as heavy PC laptop with the same features if he can find one. Then see how happy he is after 6 months.

I would easily give the 17" finish a 9 out of 10 rating without any reservation whatsoever. This is the 4th month owning mine and it still looks brand new,
( Last edited by urrl5201; Jul 8, 2003 at 05:13 AM. )

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 06:17 AM

The lid of my 17" has been getting a lot of scuffs all over it, and due to the sharp edge of the alumiunium at the border of the screen some scratching had appeared around the main surface as well.

No amount of wiping, damp or not, made any difference.

Then I figured - my TiBook might be painted but my AlBook is not, so let's try some Windex (might be for glass but seems to be a great, yet delicate, spotless cleaner). That was only a couple of nights ago - it not only removed all the scuffs but the scratches, what I thought were scraches and would not come off, came straight off. She's as siny and perfect as new.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 06:53 AM

The finish on my 12" PB was very, very durable. Waayyy more so than the Tibook I once owned, which scratched seemingly on sight...

My PB went with me everywhere, and the only thing you would notice was that it would get a little grubby now and again which is to be expected...

As long as you don't drag it behind your car, and have a decent sleeve you will be fine.

Either way, the finish is a much better proposition than a Ti.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 07:45 AM

Good posts.

Are any of you unhappy with anything else?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 08:14 AM

The 17" is a perfect beast, only thing I'd like is a 2GHz 970 inside

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 08:48 AM

what are you guys cleaning yours with?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Good posts.

Are any of you unhappy with anything else?
Yeah, I want a 15" with an aluminum case! My poor TiBook looks like Schwarzenegger about 3/4 through The Terminator.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
So, a friend of ours just got the new 17-inch Powerbook and he's mighty unhappy with it. Seems that it scratches VERY easily. Those of you with the aluminum Powerbooks, can you shed some light on this? He says that he does NOT like the aluminum "brushed metal" finish and that he's not pleased with how it wears. Furthermore, being aluminum and not painted, it can't be repainted. He says it shows fingerprints and scuffs easily also, especially on the bottom.

Interesting to hear what everyone will have to say about this -- objectively -- especially those who actually OWN the aluminum Powerbooks.

After hearing how unhappy he is I'm not so sure I even want to upgrade to aluminum to be honest. My 1Ghz dual-booting Superdrive machine is still looking like the best bet...at least for now.
I've had my 17" PowerBook since March and I don't have a single scratch on my case. Maybe your friend needs to be more careful with his PowerBook.
( Last edited by rcarlosnyc; Jul 8, 2003 at 09:14 AM. )

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
The lid of my 17" has been getting a lot of scuffs all over it, and due to the sharp edge of the alumiunium at the border of the screen some scratching had appeared around the main surface as well.

No amount of wiping, damp or not, made any difference.

Then I figured - my TiBook might be painted but my AlBook is not, so let's try some Windex (might be for glass but seems to be a great, yet delicate, spotless cleaner). That was only a couple of nights ago - it not only removed all the scuffs but the scratches, what I thought were scraches and would not come off, came straight off. She's as siny and perfect as new.
I bought a radtech screen protector and sleeve for my PowerBook. The screen protector stops the sharp edge of the screen from cutting into the base of the PBook. Works great.

http://radtech.us/powersleevz.html
http://radtech.us/screensavrz-laptop.html

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 10:12 AM

I have to second the view that the use of Al was a great change by Apple.

My PB17 still looks brand new afte 3 months; my 1 year old TiPB looks like it's been in a war with all the paint chips removed. And that's AFTER it's been in to Apple for paint repair issues.

My wife's nearly 3 year old Pismo's case also looks almost new. The use of Al has just returned us to the functionality Apple provided in the Pismo/Lombard form factor.

PeterKG
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 10:26 AM

Mine looks as new as the day I bought it. Not one scratch anywhere. It's a great finish. Unlike the iBook it replaced that scratched so easily.

NY152
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 11:27 AM

I have some scratches on the lid of my 17" PowerBook. Anyone have any ideas what can be done to try and remove them? If not besides directly from Apple any location where I could price out a replacement lid as it really bothers me.

Thanks
<over-large signature edited by management>

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 11:31 AM

Not a single scratch here. Much more resilient than my iBook.
If your friend is unhappy about the PB he must be doing something seriously wrong.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 12:13 PM

Perhaps your friend should stop cleaning it with steel wool and storing it between two slabs of rough-set concrete.

jaxxe
Jul 8, 2003, 12:49 PM

Had me 12" PB for a few months now, and though I was skeptical about the finish, I still went ahead and made the purchase. And... just like everyone else whose posted replies... this baby is very resilient and I cannot complain.

I've seen some very beat up and scratched Sony Vaios, ThinkPads, and the like. My baby still looks great. Though, I am very sorry to hear about your friend's machine, but perhaps the scratches are superficial? If not, then that sucks big time.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 03:50 PM

A guy I work with just dropped his 12" PB, so I took it out to the shop and pounded it back proper with some body hammers. No scratches at all and you can't tell it had been droped and bent. Only the hinge stick a little.

vdaddy2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 04:36 PM

I got my 17"PB at the beginning of May, and not a scratch or ding to report. I think that some people are a little hard on thier machines, and that's why they wear out so quickly.

I use mine as a laptop ocassionally, and take it into work, etc..., but all the while, I remember how much I paid for it, and that helps me respect my equipment and treat it well.

The case is very sturdy, and cleans very easily. Durability should be of little concern to you if interested in a PB12 or PB17. A collegue of mine, who is a might bit rougher with his TiBook than I am even reports that his revision machine is sturdy and has not given him any of the problems with fit, finish, etc... taht past powerbooks gave him.

Just a thought.
"Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind..."

Ronald Reagan

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
I bought a radtech screen protector and sleeve for my PowerBook. The screen protector stops the sharp edge of the screen from cutting into the base of the PBook. Works great.

http://radtech.us/powersleevz.html
http://radtech.us/screensavrz-laptop.html
You can also try some transparent silicone display cushions, also by RadTech:

http://www.radtech.us/wildeepz.html

In addition, I used the above-mentioned RadTech PowerSleevz to wipe off some moist dust that had accumulated on top of my BigAl. It worked great, because PowerSleevz was soft and durable, and then I was able to wipe the dust off the PowerSleevz using a sheet of tissue paper.

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 07:22 PM

My previous Ti had only one mior scratch on the bottom, but that is because I babied it all the time because of how many complaints I had read on various forums. When I got the 12" I haven't babied it at all from the beginning. I thought it had gotten a lot of scratches and scuffs on it, but with one wipe of a damp cloth all the marks came off and it is clean as a whistle again! The Al seems to pick up dirt and fingerprints easier, but the upside is that everything cleans off very easily, unlike the Ti.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

JasonBourne
Jul 8, 2003, 08:01 PM

I got my PB12 since Feb. I dont have any scratches yet. I almost bring my PB everywhere even at work that don't require to use a laptop and I'm not into computer profession. I use my computer mostly for iLife. I work in the OR and work as a circulating Nurse sometimes I edit my movies/pictures during long operation and Surgeon don't even know. I just feel complete if I bring my PB with me together with my iSight. One time my ring touches my PB12 and can heard the friction it made and I thought I scratch my PB but when checked I haven't found any and I said WOW.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 11:57 PM

I look after my Alu 17 very well and have a couple of scuffs, though the whole thing is still very impressive and durable.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2003, 02:03 AM

I work in the OR and work as a circulating Nurse sometimes I edit my movies/pictures during long operation and Surgeon don't even know.
Now that's reassuring. And the gub'ment wants to limit malpractice awards!?

"That's right, Your Honor. I forgot to hook up the suction. I was busy editing my vacation photos."
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2003, 01:32 PM

No scratches or scuffs here either, and I've taken my PB apart 5 times. It looks like it did the day I unboxed it. Very durable finish on these puppies.

This is by far my favorite computer I've ever owned. Of course, that may change when my dually G5 arrives. But probably not.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

djjava
Senior User
Jul 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

no scratches... i treat my PB17 like it were a divine being. I would never let anything that would scratch my PB17 happen.... anyone who did... would be in serious pain.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

MrK
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 07:36 PM

Cleaning -

The iKlean kit sold at Apple stores cleans everything, including keyboard, screen, etc.

Try also iKlear [?] that is supposed to remove scratches.

I agree with other posts - these are the most durable Apple portables I have ever used, easily the equal of the Pismo with far more speed.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by MrK:
Cleaning -

The iKlean kit sold at Apple stores cleans everything, including keyboard, screen, etc.

Try also iKlear [?] that is supposed to remove scratches.

I agree with other posts - these are the most durable Apple portables I have ever used, easily the equal of the Pismo with far more speed.
I remember doing a search for it before, but not being able to find anything. Do you know where it is available?

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 12:18 AM

Good thing he does not have an iPod or an iBook... Talk about scratches, and visible at that! They just SHINE on my iPod, I just quit caring about it and now look at them as a "badge of honor".

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2003, 09:39 PM

My Ti looks like a perfect jewel compared to the messed up AluBooks at the Apple store.... they look like they've been thru a war. The Ti's there look fine too. Maybe the Apple store needs to hear about the cleaning procedure too. The girl I sold my two and a half year old Ti400 to still has it looking perfectly brand new too. I never understood the complaints about the finish on the Ti's. I've never seen one that looks a bit worn or scratched.... except for pictures on the internet.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

JasonBourne
Jul 11, 2003, 12:08 AM

I don't know if know much about OR life most of the stuff is so boring esp. elective cases. Once the operation got started and everything is in place, circulating nurse do the charting which is also done on very slow pentium III windows 98 machine and you can finish your charting within 10min if windows won't froze. Well you have to get up if they need somethings maybe saline or sponges. Most of the time you don't do much for couple of hours. Things started to get busy when they started to closed since you have to count instruments and sponges. Some of the case are quick and sometimes cases depends on whose doing it. Hysterectomy can be done 45min-90min and some surgeons can do it 4-6 hours. Can you imagine sitting there doing nothing for 4hours or maybe you could open your PB and be productive.javascript:smilie('') At least I'm awake all the time so that I can go and wake up the anesthesiologist if the IV fluid is empty.
Don't worry if your on the table I won't open my PB. javascript:smilie('')

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Now that's reassuring. And the gub'ment wants to limit malpractice awards!?

"That's right, Your Honor. I forgot to hook up the suction. I was busy editing my vacation photos."

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
My Ti looks like a perfect jewel compared to the messed up AluBooks at the Apple store.... they look like they've been thru a war. The Ti's there look fine too. Maybe the Apple store needs to hear about the cleaning procedure too. The girl I sold my two and a half year old Ti400 to still has it looking perfectly brand new too. I never understood the complaints about the finish on the Ti's. I've never seen one that looks a bit worn or scratched.... except for pictures on the internet.
They're freakin' display models. Of course the AluBooks look awful. Think of the 100s of grubby hands that touch and flip and drag the poor thing all over the table. Last time I was at the Soho Apple store, people were in line to see the AluBooks, totally ignoring the TiBooks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules