Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iSpy...

iSpy...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 01:49 PM

anyone else in downtown nyc?

i spend (too) much of my time at a coffeebar called "des moines", on ave A, often with my (now ancient) pismo.

today, there were 5 people on laptops:

one clamshell ibook, one new ibook, a 15" tibook, a wallstreet (i think), and a 12" alubook.

no a wintel laptop to be found...

while by no means a big event, was still a great thing to see

(okay, it's hot, and a slow day)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tinycat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 03:54 PM

i live practically around the corner from that cafe. i have noticed the powebook/ibook dominance myself.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by tinycat:
i live practically around the corner from that cafe. i have noticed the powebook/ibook dominance myself.
I live in Manhattan and occasionally work downtown.

In addition, I've occasionally noticed a predominance of PowerBooks at the Starbucks Cafe in Union Square, next to the 14th Street subway station.

One time back in March or so of this year, I went there at night, and there were two LittleAl's and one TiBook, and not a single Wintel laptop in sight.

You should try talking to some of those PowerBook/iBook users. One time, I talked to a LittleAl user at the Starbucks, who advised me to visit TekServe. This proved a valuable experience, because that store is a very user-friendly Apple service center in Manhattan.

On another occasion, I talked with another LittleAl user at that same store, who gave me some useful advice on getting professional Mac software from a nearby computer store at discount prices.

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Karim
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 09:54 PM

This is partial proof of Apple addiction... I am a longtime sufferer.

spaced
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 08:35 AM

Carrie Bradshaw lives in Manhattan and uses a Lombard! Whee!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by spaced:
Carrie Bradshaw lives in Manhattan and uses a Lombard! Whee!
Look closer- it's a pismo

And, in one episode, she took it to TekServe.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

spaced
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Look closer- it's a pismo
Oh I could have sworn it had the old school rainbow logo on the bezel.

And, in one episode, she took it to TekServe.
Yup, I remember that episode now...

Why doesn't she buy an AlBook? Remember the episode where she tried to use and hated that indigo iBook?

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 11:51 AM

I spent last summer in NYC and was flabbergasted at how many people were carrying around iPods. Only now is L.A. catching up. I guess they call NYC the Big Apple for a reason.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 12:28 PM

Miranda uses a Ti book!

Also, the number of iPods in NYC is staggering. It seems like 9/10 people who are wearing headphones are using an iPod! I was in queens and saw an older chinese grandmother type with the signature white headphones on! I can't believe how many people are still suffering with those stock apple earbuds
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by ericwass:
I spent last summer in NYC and was flabbergasted at how many people were carrying around iPods. Only now is L.A. catching up. I guess they call NYC the Big Apple for a reason.
No kidding! I went to the announcement event for the new iPod at the Apple Store in SoHo on May 2.

A very long line of people had already appeared by the time I had arrived, which was about 7:30 PM, an hour and a half after the event started (because I had been delayed by work). The line extended all the way around the corner, halfway down the block! It took about forty minutes just to reach the entrance!

Along the way, I even met an old classmate from college (she wasn't in the line, though).

Unfortunately, when I reached the entrance, a security guard asked me to step aside, and wouldn't let me in. I was forced to wait just outside the entrance for twenty minutes while everybody else was allowed in.

Eventually, the guard (who didn't work for Apple, but had been hired by the store) let me in. I immediately complained to the store manager. He investigated, and reported that a store employee had mistaken me for somebody else whom he hadn't wanted allowed into the store! The manager profusely apologized, and said that he would tell his staff to be more careful in the future.

DekuDekuplex
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Jul 9, 2003 at 03:39 PM. )
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

nighttraitor
Jul 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

I meet up with a bunch of IT guys around the Portland,OR area for Starbucks on Thursday mornings and I feel sooo alone! They all have winblows machines. One important note though, I just picked up the 1ghz PB and their jaws dropped. I heard a few talk about submitting quotes to their bosses so they could get one. They claimed they liked having Unix at the core, but I know the looks didn't hurt much either. ;-)

All that to say, slowly but surely the Northwest is coming around.

B

MrK
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 07:40 PM

I see way more iBooks than Pbooks in NYC, but at least people are using Macs...

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 08:14 PM

MAN! it's cool to hear that so many people in NYC are using Apple. Here in holland it almost rare to see someone with a apple computer. And there all like "look @ him, he has a apple. apple sucks" and yet the can't seem to find a good reason to dislike apple when i ask them why they don't like apple computers.

The most common PC-fanboy anwser is "apple has a mouse with only one button" DUMB ASS if you like more buttons just go and buy a logitech mouse.