Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about Apple education discount usage

Question about Apple education discount usage
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2003, 08:20 PM

I'm about to buy a new powerbook. If I find someone in education to order one for me, can I still pay for it on my credit card, and can I register it in my name??

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 09:45 PM

I dont think so...

Edu has to be bought directly through Apple (or an edu store on a campus or something). I would imagine that the CC would have to match the person that was deemed eligible for the discount. Registering might not be that much of a problem, but purchasing might.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 11:23 PM

Are you close to an Apple Store? All you need to do is bring in some one who qualifies, and you can make the purchase right there.

Also, I don't think they care about the card or who registers the machine. I know people who have bought machines for other people, and there wasn't a problem.

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 11:39 PM

Just keep in mind that you're limited to one machine per year with the discount. So if your friend decided they wanted to buy one later on they'd be out of luck until next July.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2003, 01:21 AM

Thought there was a clause somewhere that says you cannot sell/transfer the computer you purchased through edu discounts for a year?

Sorry for the snag. I'd say look at some of the mail order retailers, some of them are offering pretty good package deals and you don't have to pay sales tax.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 09:30 PM

If I'm not mistaken, can't you just waltz into a campus store near you and buy a machine at a discount? My parents bought an iMac from my campus store and I don't remember there being any sort of eliigiblity check or anything.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
If I'm not mistaken, can't you just waltz into a campus store near you and buy a machine at a discount? My parents bought an iMac from my campus store and I don't remember there being any sort of eliigiblity check or anything.
that might be possible at some schools, but some (like mine and also UH) will ask for a school ID

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 09:46 PM

I have bought two iMac on edu discounts and for family. All have been registered under different names. Thus I do not believe you will experience any difficulty in registering your edu bought Mac when you were not the person who paid for it.

Regarding buying edu discount macs at stores, my local Apple Store does not do it. Doubt CompUsa does it but I supposed an university IT store would be a safe bet.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2003, 10:40 PM

Up till a few months ago I worked at a campus computer store. Only current students could buy Apples at the education discount. That person's name had to be on the receipt. However, anyone could pay for the product and there is no way for Apple to control who registers the computer.

Long story short, if you can find a post-secondary student to order an Apple, let you pay for it, and then give it to you, there's nothing Apple can do about that.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2003, 11:56 PM

trust me when I say you can bring a student to the apple store and you can pay with your credit card.

Just go to the Galleria and they have an apple store there,

Also k-12 are elidgible for the discount so bring in a little kid and its no problem

Force

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 12:07 AM

Actually according to apple's new page k-12 students/parents of students are NOT.

but I doubt the store knows that.

Just get a friend, have them buy it say you're paying for it and then magically they gave it to you as a gift.. lol.
Aloha

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
so bring in a little kid and its no problem
Force, if any kid in K-12 could get the education discount, almost everyone could get it. The education discount applies only to K-12 school faculty and staff, not students.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 01:02 AM

Edu prices can also vary between schools. Some schools have heavier discounts so you might want to shop around. I have noticed that NYC schools like SVA and NYU offer prices closer to institution edu prices and lower than individual prices. Also, remember that you have to still pay tax on your purchase, so sometimes buying from a reseller like a Clubmac or Macmall turns out to be cheaper with the bundles and no tax.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2003, 11:12 PM

thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the mac from mac connection. Free airport card and no tax. About the same price as edu discount and none of the hassles.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 24, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the mac from mac connection. Free airport card and no tax. About the same price as edu discount and none of the hassles.
J.
Agreed. After being burned twice with taxes at the Apple edu Store, I bought my iBook from Amazon and even got $100 off from it last year. The only reason to buy from the Apple Store is for some special deal they may have going on. However these deals do not require you to buy from Apple directly, just to have proof that you bougth a Mac during a specific period. So even if you buy from third party reseller you can receive Apple Store special offers.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:05 PM

Just go online click on Education then click the Homeschool link on the bottom. I gaurantee that if you order it they wont check anything and you will get the discount.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by gsingh:
Just go online click on Education then click the Homeschool link on the bottom. I gaurantee that if you order it they wont check anything and you will get the discount.
Actually I take that back a friend of mine tried it and recieved a email they need him to fax in some proof.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 04:24 PM

I think its kinda nonchalant. I wanted to use my gf's id #. I selected her school under edu discount, but it never so much as asked for her name. So I ordered the laptop with my mothers cc (graduation present) and I shipped the powerbook to myself. I have not had apple ask anything about the student that actually goes to the school I chose, but if sometime they actually do ask for it, it is a legit purchase, but i dont think they care about these little things. I've been hearing that anyone can waltz on over to www.apple.com/education and purchase a computer as long as you pick a school that doesnt ask for your id. (I do not condone cheating the system, so I wont tell you what school I used for my gf)

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 06:39 PM

along the same lines i am trying to detirmine if being in the reserves or national guard counts to get you the federal govt discount and what you need to do to get it?

iHanhauser
Sep 25, 2003, 06:45 PM

I bought 2 Powerbooks this year under the Apple EDU discount.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 11:02 AM

My wife is a kindagarden teacher and purchased our Ti book on the phone through apple. They just took her word for it. Never questioned her once about it. We both thought it was kinda strange. I mean anyone could call up say they were a teacher.

Another thing we noticed about when ordering something through Apple on the phone, those guys are PUSHY. They never stop trying to throw deals your way.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules