Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What computer is everyone bringing to college?

What computer is everyone bringing to college?
eightoeight
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 01:24 PM

I ordered a G5 but having second thoughts.

Jupeman
Aug 5, 2003, 01:25 PM

I brought a SE/30.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 01:30 PM

Seconds thoughts on a G5? Why in the world?

I'm taking 3 computer to college with me:

Dual 1.25Ghz G4 PowerMac (specs in sig.)
12" G4 PowerBook (specs in sig.)
and for those Windows needs/gaming fix/LAN parties...
Alienware Area 51-m Notebook Computer: 2.4Ghz P4/512MB DDR/40GB/Radeon 7500 64MB/ComboDrive/Wireless 802.11b

And oh yeah, the Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac will use dual Apple displays, a 23" HD Display + 17" Apple Studio Display
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Jupeman:
I brought a SE/30.
I could only swing the SE sophomore year

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 01:49 PM

Last yr i had a G4 450, iBook and a Gaming PC, this yr the G4 is being replaced by a dualy G5

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

graphics84
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 02:04 PM

ti 1gig

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:

Alienware Area 51-m Notebook Computer: 2.4Ghz P4/512MB DDR/40GB/Radeon 7500 64MB/ComboDrive/Wireless 802.11b

And oh yeah, the Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac will use dual Apple displays, a 23" HD Display + 17" Apple Studio Display
It's your first year, isn't it? That or you're going to college REAL close to where you live.

Here's Axo1ot1's guidelines for chosing a computer for school:

You need to ask yourself a few questions

-Do I need power or portability more?

-Do I take linear notes (will I be taking notes on my computer), or do I take nonlinear notes (much more efficient with a paper notebook)?

-How far is my school from hwere I live in the off-season? (If you are taking an airplane a laptop will be much easier to deal with, if your mom is driving you to the next town over, you can deal with bulkier stuff).

-What do I use a computer for mostly? (Usually you will be using your computer for roughly the same group of tasks in college as you did in high school. If you use the internet, MS Office, and email then you don't need to go to the trouble of bringing a beast of a computer. If you do any media production, or like computer games, you might want more beef.)

Based on prior experience I find that desktop computers can be a way bigger hassle than they're worth. One issue is the ammount of space they take up. There is the computer and its peripherals, but if you want to keep the box it came in (highly recommended if you are going to ship your computer) that will be filling up your closet or something. You can get creative and put all your winter clothes in the computer box, put some plywood and a sheet on top and use it as a bedside table, but if your dorm has small rooms you (and your room mate) may really regret your getting a desktop.

I am moving from the west coast to the east coast this year. I did this last year with a desktop and it was a logistical folley. It just wasn't worth the trouble. This year I am doing the same, but I am going to have 5 or 6 hours of video footage that needs to be edited, and while Apple's notebooks are very fast and cool, they won't cut it on a project of this size, so I'm going to get a G5 with dual 250 Gig HDs. This year it will be worth it because I have a legitimate use for a desktop. Last year it wasn't because all I was using it for was writing papers and such.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 02:51 PM

"old school" iBook Blueberry Rev. A 300Mhz.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
It's your first year, isn't it? That or you're going to college REAL close to where you live.
Yep, first year, and yep, pretty darn close to where I live.

The benefit is that my home is only 2 hours away from campus, AND, I'm taking my own vehicle to campus with me. So on move-in day, I will just pack all my clothes, posters, bed sheets, random stuff, and of course the 3 computers in my vehicle and drive right up there. This way I don't have to ship anything, nor carry any huge boxes. I can just wrap stuff in towels to protect them for the ride and I'll be set. If I had to fly to campus, I'd have a single notebook computer, but the benefits of being close to home are great.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

kenikov
Banned
Aug 5, 2003, 03:08 PM

I am bringing my iBook and my 17" Viewsonic monitor, speaker and printers.

I guess my Palm too.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 03:11 PM

i took a Dual 867/512 DDR/80 GB/ATI 9000 with me last year. i have since added a 52X burner, another 512 RAM, another 80 GB HD, and im thinking of getting a 9800.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 03:13 PM

Yep, first year, and yep, pretty darn close to where I live.

The benefit is that my home is only 2 hours away from campus, AND, I'm taking my own vehicle to campus with me. So on move-in day, I will just pack all my clothes, posters, bed sheets, random stuff, and of course the 3 computers in my vehicle and drive right up there. This way I don't have to ship anything, nor carry any huge boxes. I can just wrap stuff in towels to protect them for the ride and I'll be set. If I had to fly to campus, I'd have a single notebook computer, but the benefits of being close to home are great.
You live quite a luxurious life, there.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2003, 03:14 PM

And where do you expect to keep all this stuff?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 03:20 PM

Heh, well, I've got a big enough room for 2 desks, thankfully, so the PowerMac & dual displays will go on one desk, the 12" PB in my backpack, and the Alienware in some drawer until I need it for a LAN party.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 03:38 PM

OMG you have serious computers, whats the use in 3 computers, you can only use one, two tops at a time
we don't have time to stop for gas

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 03:44 PM

Heh, I actually use 2 computers daily. As a matter of fact, I am right now. While I'm typing this, I'm playing "Counter-Strike" on my Alienware here as well, and I'm just waiting for the round to restart while I type...

I'll typically have the Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac setup in my dorm for working assignments; i.e., papers, research assignments, spreadsheets, etc. and have the Alienware just not doing much of anything unless I need to edit my ISP homepage (Windows only), email using Yahoo (fonts/colors not available on Macs), or leave it running to constantly check my University Webmail for assignments/notices from teachers. It helps having one machine for a set amount of tasks and another machine for some other tasks. The 12" PB will always be in my backpack as I *greatly* prefer typing notes over writing them, and what I type in class I can simply shoot on the Dual 1.25Ghz when I reach the room and have it all in front of me in an orderly fashion.

EDIT: And I just called my University and they said my Dual 1.25Ghz machine & 17" Studio Display are "in transit" to the college and I'll mostly be able to pick them up by the end of this week...WOOHOO!!!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

silverlode
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 04:19 PM

I had an SE/30 sophomore and junior year and a 6100/60 senior year. That 6100 totally rocked on Prince of Persia. Spent many long nights playing Prince of Persia and X-Wing Fighter instead of doing classwork.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

silverlode
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 04:23 PM

So on move-in day, I will just pack all my clothes, posters, bed sheets, random stuff, and of course the 3 computers in my vehicle and drive right up there. This way I don't have to ship anything,
Ship stuff to college?!? Whoa. My parents lived over a thousand miles away from where I went to school, and I still just crammed everything into my car INCLUDING A DRUMSET and drove to school.

Then I pushed the car through 3 feet of snow for the last 30 miles.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 09:07 PM

hopefully a brand new 900Mhz iBook, and a 333Mhz iMac. The iMac will eventually be outfitted with Panther, and be used as a backup and juke box. Or if I have a friend that wants to use my net acess or something. We'll see I'm not sure if I can use multiple IPs with my iMac or not we'll have to see.

Anyway, yeah, my dad's majorly helping me out with the iBook since I can't afford it... and anyone able to bring a G5 to college... that's nuts unless you're in design... give me some of your money!

I'll be happy though, I only do some web design, and browsing, e-mail, word processing, and junk... my main apps are

FreeHand,
Fireworks,
Dreamweaver,
occationally flash,
Proteus,
either apple works or OOo
and a few others... I'm looking forward to having one of the last dual boot systems

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 09:51 PM

returning with my trusty 933.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 10:37 PM

superchicken, my sister is looking into getting a new mac notebook. from what i have read, IBM has started fabbing 1.1 and 1.3 GHz G3s (from macnn not too long ago), i wonder when those will show up in ibooks. i would hate to have my sister get a ibook or powerbook and then have then upgraded not too much later. then again, what if we wait, and nothing happens? o well, good luck with your ibook purchase. if you still need help with affording that ibook, check out the hardware purchase program through developer.apple.com .

it saved my a bundle on my mac, maybe you can afford the G5 that way
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 10:59 PM

I took a Mac IIsi to school. It got hit by a power surge after a year or two, so I got a 660av, and then finished up senior year with a Powermac 7500/100 (with the Apple 1710AV monitor!)
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by eightoeight:
I ordered a G5 but having second thoughts.
I'm chillin here in my apartment with my MDD 1 GHz.

turboSPE

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 12:25 AM

AssassyN, if you or your folks have enough money to afford all of this terrific equipment, you should do yourself a favor and get insurance for it before you bring it to school.

Seems like a crazy amount of machinery for school, unless it's intrinsically related to your studies. Good luck!

P.S. Had a IIsi and 13" color monitor. I was the only kid on my dorm floor who had a color monitor. Used the computer to design and lay out the school's paper and eventually my own mag. Also, to freelance and make money to pay for books and beer. But my love affair with the Mac began in high school, laying out an 11x17 school paper on an SE 2/40 running Aldus Pagemaker 1.0. Absolutely incredible experience. LOL!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 01:11 AM

Powerbook 800 here. AssassyN, that's crazy. I couldn't keep track off all that. Oh and here's a tip, keep the LAN parties to a minimum. I made the mistake of playing too much my first year.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Seems like a crazy amount of machinery for school, unless it's intrinsically related to your studies. Good luck!
For real. It sounds like you need to get out more, AssassyN. Join a sports team or the school newspaper or something. The computers will only go so far toward fulfilling you. Eventually human connection will need to take place, and it's best if you get started on that sooner than later.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
I could only swing the SE sophomore year
Pfaugh. I had an Apple //e until I was a senior. After that, I managed to swing an SE, which was exchanged for an SE/30 later in the year.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 03:00 AM

Returning with my 867 G4 Quicksilver, 1.5 GIG RAM, 80 GIGS HD space.

Also returning. 266 beige G3 tower with 480 GIGs of space on it serving to me and my buddies. Than theres the 233 Beige G3 desktop running 10.2 server. I need to get that webpage going.

Than theres that Windows Media Station setting below our TV, but I don't own that one.

Oh yeah, the best study tool ever. A second gen 10 GIG iPod, for those long work study shift at the library.

Now if only my isight would work on campus....

Sheep
Aug 6, 2003, 05:21 AM

A nice 12" iBook 700Mhz.
Is small enough for the backpack, does everything I need, just perfect!

AssassyN and RevEvs just seem to have too much money. Unless you do design orso, and even then, you don't need so much horsepower to get thru college.
Oh well, enjoy the setup anyway!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 08:35 AM

Haha, thanks for all the "life advice" folks...

LoL, trust me, I get out plenty...I'm a band for goodness sakes! We travel all around eastern NC and play on the weekends and such; matter of fact we just had a 5 day tour that was awesome...you guys must remember that the 3 computers will not be used simultaneously, I think you have some mental image of some mad scientist in his lab with huge goggles on and bubbling fluids beside him typing things in with displays all around his head or something, lol. While I'm in lectures, I'll use the 12" PB, while in the dorm, my PowerMac, and while out at a LAN party, my Alienware.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 09:30 AM

My uni computer is an iBook 900.

BobK
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 10:10 AM

How does a college student afford what AssassyN has?
WOW! Quite the setup!

BobK
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 10:15 AM

After reading your post again, you must have 20 grand worth of stuff.
Must be nice.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by BobK:
How does a college student afford what AssassyN has?
WOW! Quite the setup!
They don't, his parents do.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 12:47 PM

Excuse that assumption, sir, but I've posted this before and will say so again...

I've worked the past 4 years (entire high school time) very hard at a local farm (10-18 hours per day/7 days per week in the summer). I was taught early on how to save, manage, and invest money in the Stock Market...smart investing can do wonders for one's budget. Yes, I'm 18, but that doesn't mean I haven't worked my tail off for what I've got.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Flash2000
Aug 6, 2003, 01:04 PM

I am bringing my 12" Powerbook and a 19" Sony CRT Trinitron. w00tage
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 01:06 PM

Excuse that assumption, sir, but I've posted this before and will say so again...

I've worked the past 4 years (entire high school time) very hard at a local farm (10-18 hours per day/7 days per week in the summer). I was taught early on how to save, manage, and invest money in the Stock Market...smart investing can do wonders for one's budget. Yes, I'm 18, but that doesn't mean I haven't worked my tail off for what I've got.
Way to go.

All the more reason to spend a little extra money on theft/damage insurance. Having your stuff hurt or stolen during college or at any other time is just too sucky. Be prepared.

superfula
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 06:25 PM

If you were really taught how to save, invest, and manage money properly, you wouldn't have 3 computers.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 06:30 PM

Haha, well ya know Shaq has like 5 vehicles, yet he's doing quite well. Is he an idiot for owning more than one vehicle?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 08:42 PM

Haha, well ya know Shaq has like 5 vehicles, yet he's doing quite well. Is he an idiot for owning more than one vehicle?
Yes.

Wasn't it the guy that started walmart drove a 20 year old pickup truck but yet he was like a bilionar.

Its good to see you waste your money, just like Shaq.

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 08:54 PM

I used an Apple //e throughout college.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by davechen:
I used an Apple //e throughout college.
Sweet! I used one of those throughout elementary school! Odell Down Under rocked!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:51 PM

I'll just bring AssassyN's powerbook
Aloha

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
Yes.

Wasn't it the guy that started walmart drove a 20 year old pickup truck but yet he was like a bilionar.

Its good to see you waste your money, just like Shaq.
Who are you to say that?

You know nothing of his situation, and it appears to me that you're simply jealous.

Grow up.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 07:18 AM

AssassyN can buy whatever he likes - he's worked for his money so good luck to him.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 08:52 AM

I started college in 1993 with an Apple IIgs (NOT a Macintosh). It had 4 MB RAM, a 125 MB Hard Drive, and was connected to a HP DeskWriter 550C printer. Yes, it could read MS-DOS disks. Everyone else had PC's and would make comments about my machine, but I was the only one with an inkjet printer at the time (remember, in 1993, inkjets cost about $750), so when it was time to turn papers in, I would get many people at my door asking if they could print their papers with my "obsolete" computer!

That lasted me until my senior year, when I got a Power Macintosh 7600/120. That year I had both computers in my room because I spent a year migrating my data from one machine to the other. The old computer made a perfect game machine, which was what my roommate and I used it for at that time. (Oh yes, my roommate had a 486 PC on his desk too... guess which desktop machine he did his work on?)

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Who are you to say that?

You know nothing of his situation, and it appears to me that you're simply jealous.

Grow up.

I am not jealous. Only saying it is stuiped...

I am pretty sure most ppl on these boards (thoes who have worked) could go out and buy 3 computers. But it is just silly.

And then take them all to uni

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the support guys.

And GlobalNomad, I completely respect your decision, however you aren't in my shoes and I find it baffling that you can call my shots and know my situation. If I choose to own 3 pairs of shoes, 3 pairs of pants, 3 books, 3 dogs, or 3 computers, it's my decision.

P.S. - You meant "stupid", right?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:08 AM

I kinda side with assassy here... I'm thinking of swapping meh ole' quicksilver for a dual 1.25 since the cost wouldn't be too painful...

But still.. going into college.. some people need a portable laptop, a good powerful desktop, and a pc toy (and in assasyn's case the toy PC laptop is a laptop so it can fit in the drawer I suppose)

Funny thing is I'd be more worried abotu that alienware laptop being stolen.. not many people would want your g4, maybe that nice big LCD, but the laptop.. everyone wants.

It's like how hondas are some of the most popular stolen cars.
Aloha

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:38 AM

Won't need to until fall 2004.

But in an ideal world:

G5 (mid)
iBook/refurb G4Ti (low)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules