Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Post your experiences with USB Keychain Drives

Post your experiences with USB Keychain Drives
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 08:08 PM

Just as the topic says, I am interested in buying a 'keychain' USB drive. There was some talk about these drives on the boards several months ago, but the drives have come a long way - what are people's experiences? What drives do people have??? What do you recommend?

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2003, 08:49 PM

easy

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 08:53 PM

I have a Lexar Jumpdrive from Lexar Media.... http://www.lexarmedia.com/jumpdrive/index.html
Uses Sony Memory Sticks. Perfect for me because I have a sony Cybershot digital camera and you're not limited to one set memory size. I picked it up for $20 at walmart. Also included a USB cable to connect it to if you're using a desktop.
Its pretty useful. My Powerbook recognizes it right off the bat when I plug it in and photos import with iPhoto without a problem. Also works for transferring files too. I use it at school in place of a floppy disk if I need to print something in the lab or share a file with someone.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 10:59 PM

Yep, www.diskonkey.com I have used it for two semester and this summer. It's great, I high recommend it. I love the fact its all you need.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 12:34 AM

I also have a jumpdrive, really happy with how useful and practical it is. A little slow on usb 1, but not unbearable. Check fatwalllet as they often have deal referrals on usb key drives.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

DrBoar
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 03:17 AM

Got a Apaceer 128 and love ,it love it
I have used ZIP drives since they came out and this is far better
1. Does not need a drive just a USB port
2.Way smaller and more rugged than ZIP disks. A friend forgot his USB drive in his jeans so it went through the loundery and drying and the drive still worked!
3. Quite fast if you reformat the drive from FAT32 to HFS

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by DrBoar:

3. Quite fast if you reformat the drive from FAT32 to HFS
Hmm, that kinda kills some of it's versatility, doesn't it. It being cross platform was one of the whole points for me. Of course if your just using it b/w Macs.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2003, 05:42 AM

I have a really early (8MB!) DiscOnKey.

I love it it's great.

put a text-file in it called read-me.txt and put your phone number in it.

If you lose your keys, anyone who finds your keys (and is even vaguely geeky) will look inside and give you a call.

also there is a MacOSXHints.com hint about having your Mac OS Keychain on your Physical keychain - which is quite cool - but a bit too impractical for me.

appleseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 06:54 AM

Macuser <macuser.pcpro.co.uk> has just completed a fairly extensive series of lab tests on 12 different brands of USB key. By pointing your browser at the relevant page you'll also get to see just how much more we pay for everything over in the UK!

I've been using a Iomega Mini Drive. Reliable, relatively fast, but the clasp the holds the cap onto the memory portion of the key fatigues and breaks with use -- not even excessive use.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2003, 07:46 AM

Appleseed. True.. everything is pricey here..
Having said that, I just got a 256mb USB key drive from Crucial. Around half the price of all the others here and works great.
I think it was under �60
www.crucial.com/
www.crucial.com/uk/
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

appleseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2003, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Will bear Crucial in mind when I get round to upgrading my 64MB Mini Drive, which incidentally also cost �60 only 4 months ago...

Originally posted by Grrr:
Appleseed. True.. everything is pricey here..
Having said that, I just got a 256mb USB key drive from Crucial. Around half the price of all the others here and works great.
I think it was under �60
www.crucial.com/
www.crucial.com/uk/

Forum Links
Forum Rules