Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson Photo 1280 advice

Epson Photo 1280 advice
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2003, 01:43 PM

I am looking for a new printer, and I've been looking at the epson 1280. Can anyone tell me what features are not available under OSX? Is the borderless feature not available? Is there another printer that can print larger sizes (at least 11x17) that I should be looking at? Thanks.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 02:22 PM

I know someone with it and it never works properly.

They sold it and got the Canon i9100 and they are in heaven. Plus the Canon is cheaper.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
I know someone with it and it never works properly.

They sold it and got the Canon i9100 and they are in heaven. Plus the Canon is cheaper.
I was going to a $100 rebate from epson which would make the printer only $399. Anyone else have expierence with the epson 1280?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
I was going to a $100 rebate from epson which would make the printer only $399. Anyone else have expierence with the epson 1280?
The canon is even less then that normally and trust me it is so much better plus the ink is way way cheaper.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 21, 2003, 12:08 PM

Ditto that.

Plus Canon's OS X drivers are vastly superior to Epson's, which only about a month or two ago gained borderless printing support (which Epson implemented in a REALLY half-assed way -- you have to set up separate virtual printers for low-border and borderless printing). Canon's drivers work as expected.

tooki

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2003, 09:46 PM

OK, I'm sold on the canon. Thanks for the advice...

idyll
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 02:38 AM

I also have a Canon, the 9000 model to be exact. Incredibly sharp.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 12:37 PM

You cannot go wrong with the Canon 9100. A zillion times better then an Epson because it works like it should, it is cheaper to buy and the ink costs much less.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 10:01 AM

Well, I can't say anything to the Canon printer having never even owned one of their machines. But I have owned an Epson 1280 for almost two years (purchased new 1.02). I have nothing but praise for it. I don't print to the edges so I'm not sure about that feature. As for size, the Epson will print all the way up to Super A3 or 13 X 19. I use OS X and have never found it to come up short. The main software I use with the printer (my wife also uses it for her 2nd grade classroom printing bigbooks) is InDesign 2.0.

PeteWK

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 12:42 PM

The real problem with Epson is that you have to work REALLY hard to get the right results. Since the Epsons screw up one way or another on many of the prints you waste time and LOTS of money trying to get it right.

The ink also costs a ton and it eats through it like no tomorrow.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2003, 02:02 PM

I have the 1280 and have never had any problems with it. It is an excellent printer.I have never needed the borderless printing option�larger printing is what I do. I'm a professional photographer and designer and I use the 2200 to print with archival inks (fade proof for 90yrs. tests say). Both printers are great and with ColorSync to manage your color and your monitor calibrated simply through the OS, the 1280 and 2200 will produce excellent results. Epson also has a great selection of papers.

There are many places to get ink cheaply as well. Puchasing that your local office supply store is a travesty! www.myink.com is a good place to start.

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 04:53 PM

Does either printer (the canon or the epson) support postscript printing? That is somewhat important to me, but not a requirement.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 12:08 AM

I have also been looking at the options for a larger format printer and was, up til now, convinced that the 1280 was the way to go. How exactly is the Canon cheaper at $499 vs. the Epson at $399? I have been very happy with my epson 880 thus far, but would like to get something larger. Have had bad experiences with Canon quality control in the past, but would be willing to try it again if it is a better, cheaper alternative. Would love to hear more feedback from either 1280 owners or Canon 9100 owners.

I have somewhat of an epson ink hookup so ink prices haven't really been bothering me, but I would like something really dependable and trouble free.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by n_lim:
How exactly is the Canon cheaper at $499 vs. the Epson at $399?
Ink perhaps? The Epson swallows ink like no tomorrow and it costs much more.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 03:17 AM

yes, yes. but does either the canon or epson support postscript printing??

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 05:29 PM

Nothing? Nobody knows if either printers supports postscript printing? Somebody has to know....

Forum Links
Forum Rules