Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Okay, Powermac G5 1.6 or Powerbook 12"? Best buy?

Okay, Powermac G5 1.6 or Powerbook 12"? Best buy?
dissident
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 05:22 AM

I posted a thread about me switching my Desktop 1GHz MDD to a 12" powerbook.

Well, I've been thinking quite a lot about what I need and don't need.

The main reason I want get rid of my 1GHz MDD, is the noise. It just makes too much noise to be able to use it for a long time in a small "student" room, without getting a headache. I'm happy with the power though. I do mostly music, using Cubase SX with audio and VSTis like B4, reason rewire, LM4 MarkII etc.

Now there are two option I've been thinking about: A new 12" 1GHz Powerbook or a entry level 1.6 GHz G5.

I think it would be real nice to work on a neat quiet 12" powerbook, and I'm sure I'd be more creative using it. I would certainly make use of its portability, but like I said, the main reason for switching is the noise of my desktop, so if I get a quiet computer I could probably live without the portability.

Now the G5s are supposed to be really quiet. Maybe I should get the 1.6 G5 (the only one I can afford) instead. I'd be getting I quiet computer, and more power for the money (i think). And I already have a pci sound card, that I need to seel if I get a 12".

Well, I'm a little uncertain if buying a rev A G5 is that smart. I've read a few posts on the forum sying that one should wait till the whole G5 line up is dual. Some say that one should wait for Powerbook G5, and some say buy the PB g4, since it will be quite a while till a g5 powerbook comes out. Some say that the entry level G5s won't be very upgradable in the future.

Enough babbling on my side. Want a computer that will last long and be a joy to use for creative work. is the portability of the 12" worth the power I could get with a 1.6 G5?

sorry 'bout the long topic!
Thanks!

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:01 AM

Nice topic!

I have a similar question: change Quicksilver DP 1GHz for new 12' PB?

I am very happy with my machine. As yours it is also very loud, but I was able to put it in another room using an ADC extension cable.

The thing is that from time to time I would like to take it with me. Thats impossible. I thought about the first 12' but missing ADC connection and L3 cache prevented me from doing the change.

Now with the new I am waiting to test one, especially to see:

- How it compares in real life tests with my DP.
- How graphics speed is.
- Sound level.
- Heat (the previous reportedly got very hot).

If somebody has one I would appreciate any comments.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

BobK
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 09:09 AM

I would do the same. Switch my desktop(933 G4 maxed out.) for a 12" laptop.
The thing that stops me is the video card in the laptop.
A " NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 (32MB DDR)"
It is just not enough for games.
I would love to take my 12" PB to a LAN party and not only look cool, but also out prefrom everyone. But this card prevents this from happening.
The ATI card is in the 15" and 17", why not in the 12"?

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 11:32 AM

Interesting topic, dissident.

I would say that anybody seriously considering moving to a portable from a desktop probably has some sense, conscious or not, that the portable offers pretty much everything they need.

For example, I would never be able to make this switch. I'm editing video for a living-- I might consider owning a portable, but I'd never actually replace my desktop with one.

Dissident, how important is your sound-editing work/play to you? If it's pretty important, then I'd say stick with PowerMacs and add a portable when you can afford to have both. The 1.6 may be compatible with your sound card, call Apple to confirm this. I doubt it's compatible with the higher G5 models, which use PCI-X.

IMHO, the 1.6 is superior to the Powerbook 12". If your situation isn't that desperate, you might risk waiting for a RevB dual G5 priced in the same ballpark as the current 1.8 G5. Pure speculation on my part.

As for these being Rev.A machines, I think we'd be seeing tons of reports by now if there were a real issue here. The most annoying things I've heard about them are that the optical bay tray makes a loud noise when it opens and closes, and the computer speaker sucks (news flash, the built-in speaker ALWAYS sucks).

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 03:51 PM

I can't advise about switching to a notebook, considering I don't use the apps you're using, but if you're looking at the 1.6 G5, I'd advise you to get a refurb dual 1.25 or dual 1.42 G4 instead. Check out the prices at the Apple Store, under the Special Deals link. Once you've seen the prices, check out the benchmarks at barefeats.com

You get a bit more bang for the buck with a refurb dual G4? Anyway, it might be a way to tide you over until the next generation G5 comes out.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by BobK:
A " NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 (32MB DDR)"
It is just not enough for games.
I would love to take my 12" PB to a LAN party and not only look cool, but also out prefrom everyone. But this card prevents this from happening.
You could try going with the 15" PowerBook. Maybe it doesn't look quite as cool as a 12" and it's more expensive, but its Radeon 9600 Mobility is probably about as good as it gets for mobile gaming.

Zuffenhausen67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 06:57 AM

Interesting decision. I have had a PB 12" since February and have had a G5 1.6GHz for 2 days. The PB is great for its unparalleld mobility, but the performance is not what you'll want for Photoshop or Video work. If your focus is Office and Internet, the PB is great. As far as gaming goes, you will have to accept either resolution limitations or less eye-candy if you want to use the PB for modern games. I know the new PB is a good step forward from my Rev. A, but the GG5 1.6 is a HUGE step forward (no comparison). I am running the G5 with 1.25GB RAM and it really flies. Based on some of the things you were saying in your initial post, I would focus my attention on the G5 1.6 vs. 1.8 question and leave the 12" alone unless you really place a high value on convenient computing on the go. Just my 2cents...

Forum Links
Forum Rules