Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15" Al thoughts

New 15" Al thoughts
pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 08:29 PM

OK, just bought my first Mac in about 15 years or so - 15", 1.25 Ghz, 1 gig ram. The last Mac I owned was a IIci with System 7. Bit of a change since then.

Just a few points that I had been wondering about before I bought it, from browsing on this board.

Battery life so far is quite decent (running with the 10.2.8 update). Bluetooth off, Airport on, everything else set to automatic (backlit keyboard, etc.), it was scheduled to get 3:20. Installing software from the web, surfing, playing about. Then I installed Warcraft3 and played it for a little while and hooked up my iPod, which certainly killed a good chunk of the battery. Wound up getting about 2:40 or so though, which seems fine to me.

No problem with the screen, no white spots, no wonky pixels, nice and bright and clear.

Latch allows a bit of play in the lid when it is closed (about 1 mm or so).

It seems that there is a bit of a whine occasionaly while downloading from the web (web pages, DL's, whatever). Not too sure what that is about. Noticable, but not too annoying.

Picked up the Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop kit (mouse and keyboard), and it works no problem. Go go 5 button mouse.

Warcraft3 plays in widescreen, very smoothly, with full quality turned on. It's sweet.

All in all, it's a pretty slick package (once you hook up a mouse with more than one button that is).

One newbie question though. Is there any way to tab across the widgets in a dialog box, in addition to the text boxes? It seems like OSX doesn't treat the widgets (like say a checkbox) as an entity.

wavegroom
Oct 7, 2003, 11:56 PM

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Turn on full keyboard access

instead of the system beep you can have a Flash screen, really cool!
System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Hearing -> Flash the screen when an alert sound occurs
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

Forum Links
Forum Rules