Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help!--308 Pictures on Dock--How do I get rid of them?

Help!--308 Pictures on Dock--How do I get rid of them?
HunkFam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I tried to drag 308 pictures out of iPhoto onto the Finder icon in the dock, hoping the burning process would begin automatically burning all the photos into one single root directory on a CD (I didn't want the funky directory hierarchy that iPhoto creates from a burn).

No go.

Now I have 308 photos on my dock. Is there any way to get rid of these easily? It is so sluggish now that it would take FOREVER to do it one at a time.

thanks a lot,

Thad

12" PB

wavegroom
Oct 17, 2003, 04:14 PM

open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

in a texteditor and remove your pics...
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2003, 05:36 PM

OUCH!

But that is great info to know about the plist!!!

You think that's bad, one time I was trying move 5,300 photos from a folder to the trash ( Had archived and backed them up ) instead of trashing the whole "Pictures folder".

I didn't think I could hit select all since there were over 6,000 and new that I only wanted to get rid of the 8GB worth.

Well.....I MISSED the trash can and hit the desktop.

Nedless to say, it took quite awhile for them to materialize and I then had to boot off my external and pull them out of the desktop folder that way. Took over half an hour because even selecting a new startup disk took for-ev-er!!

Lesson learned
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

HunkFam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 03:41 AM

Wavegroom,

You rock. That worked like a champ. Took me a minute to figure it out, but it saved me LOTS of time,

thanks again,

Thad

wavegroom
Oct 18, 2003, 08:04 AM

no problem, if I can help I help....

The 'open' command in the shell (Terminal) is really cool! First I meant with open to open it in a text editor, but then I remembered that open is a command so my line transformed into a command line without intention to do that.

When you are in the Terminal you can open all files that have an app associated for example 'open mydoc.doc'. This is a really cool feature of os x.

wavegroom
Oct 18, 2003, 02:20 PM

here is another usefull line showing the power of shelling

for file in *.html; do mv $file `echo $file | sed 's/2000/2002/'`;done

this renames all html files in current directory. From for example mysite_2000.html to mysite_2002.html.

I think when you have to manipulate more than 50+ files you should do it the shell way....

Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
OUCH!

But that is great info to know about the plist!!!

You think that's bad, one time I was trying move 5,300 photos from a folder to the trash ( Had archived and backed them up ) instead of trashing the whole "Pictures folder".

I didn't think I could hit select all since there were over 6,000 and new that I only wanted to get rid of the 8GB worth.

Well.....I MISSED the trash can and hit the desktop.

Nedless to say, it took quite awhile for them to materialize and I then had to boot off my external and pull them out of the desktop folder that way. Took over half an hour because even selecting a new startup disk took for-ev-er!!

Lesson learned
This is why undo is so great. You could have just gone apple-z right after you did that.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
This is why undo is so great. You could have just gone apple-z right after you did that.
Yes, this is a VERY welcome addition of OS X. In OS 9, you were unable to undo finder commands like you can now. It's truly a life saver. Could have been in that 5300 file situation too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules