Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unreal 2003?

Unreal 2003?
schwank
Nov 15, 2003, 07:30 PM

I downloaded the demo a while back and was happy to discover that I could play it on my 1ghz ti.... I bought it today and its really choppy, and sluggish. I thought it was optimized, and would play better than the demo... I did just upgrade to 10.3.1, does that have anything to do with the bad performance, or am i just out of luck, and bought the game for nothing?

man am i dissapointed

stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by schwank:
I downloaded the demo a while back and was happy to discover that I could play it on my 1ghz ti.... I bought it today and its really choppy, and sluggish. I thought it was optimized, and would play better than the demo... I did just upgrade to 10.3.1, does that have anything to do with the bad performance, or am i just out of luck, and bought the game for nothing?

man am i dissapointed
what kind of system/processor/RAM are you dealing with?
also... download the performance patch and let us know how things shape up.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ament2003.html
G4 1.33 GHz 12" Powerbook - 1.25 GB RAM

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 07:41 PM

Download the latest UT2k3 upgrade. Things should be much better. Also, what is your setup - screen resolution, detailing, ram settings, etc.

BTW, this should really go in the games forum.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 07:43 PM

No the demo shouldn't run better, that seems very unlikely.

Could it just be the difference from one match to another? Some levels are more taxing on the system than others. And bots are more taxing by far than human opponents, because of the AI. Also, perhaps the detail settings are different than you used with the demo?

And do download the patch--speed is one thing it helps, and you NEED it for Panther and ATI video boards, supposedly.
nagromme

schwank  (op)
Nov 15, 2003, 08:53 PM

your probably right about the game forum thing, but I figured that it was powerbook specific so I'd be ok.

as for settings and spec's... its a 1ghz tibook, with a gig of ram. If i turn all settings all the way down, and all the effects off it still isnt smooth... even with a clean restart and no other apps runing. this thing runs worse than q3a did on my pismo.

and its patched to 2.5555551 or whatever that came out last week

thanks for all the quick responces...

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 04:47 AM

I think you need to trash all of the prefs. I recalled reading the demo left some prefs that did not get along with the full version. There were some posts along that line when the full retail version was released.

Prefs are in ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament

Just delete the whole folder and restart. I ran UT2k3 on the same config as yours and got pretty decent frame rates with all details set to normal.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 04:54 AM

man am i dissapointed

I�m have UT2003 running on a PB 12" 1 Ghz smooth and Fast (update installed).

I�m pretty happy with it�s performance!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2003, 05:48 AM

I did just upgrade to 10.3.1, does that have anything to do with the bad performance, or am i just out of luck, and bought the game for nothing?
According to this thread (look at the end), the 10.3.1 update severely degraded game performance, even in less demanding games than UT 2003.

schwank  (op)
Nov 16, 2003, 11:28 AM

thanks for the info, It had been a while since I played the demo, now its choppy too.... it must be 10.3.1, and the preffs thing, Ill check that out too.

x user
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 01:27 PM

I'm glad I stuck to Jag for now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules