Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tooki says "Ugh. Please, no rumor threads."

Tooki says "Ugh. Please, no rumor threads."
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 06:40 PM

WTF........

"Lord Tooki" has now decreed that "rumor threads" are no longer allowed? (by locking a thread on this)

ROTFLMAO

iBorg

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2003, 06:42 PM

Cry me a river.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2003, 07:11 PM

-r.

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 21, 2003, 10:38 PM

The last few "rumors" on this board truly stunk. Whoever made them up didn't even bother to check on the specs of the current machines - total waste of everyone's time.

Now as for REAL info on the next crop of Powerbooks, I'm all for that. I doubt if there are any developers or Apple employees willing to risk their livelihood on enlightening us though. Apple seems to take those NDA's pretty seriously.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 01:24 AM

I can understand the moderators position. Rumors have a pretty negative influence. They can get peoples hopes up, just to be let down. If someone holds off on buying because of a misleading rumor, well, even more damage is done.

Yes. One day a G5 Powerbook will exist. Does that mean people wanting a notebook now should wait? No. Based on the little tidbits Jobs and others have released, it is doubtful we will see a G5 Powerbook until late 2004. Thats a year away. How would you feel if someone here strung you along for that year saying "Oh, well, maybe this Tuesday, since the G5 Powerbooks are so close." every week?
<This space under renovation>

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 02:58 AM

And what you people may not realize is that promoting rumors could actually put MacNN on very bad terms with Apple, which would be... bad. (This is not hypothetical, by the way, it has happened to other Mac news sites.)

tooki

P.S. Threads poking fun at other forum members (including, but most decidedly not limited to, mods and admins) is grounds for revocation of posting privileges. But I'll be nice this time, because I feel like it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 03:00 AM

P.P.S. And yes, I'll be honest... I have no tolerance for stupid rumor threads like the one I closed. (I'd love to see real rumors, but nobody ever has any any sooner than the night before, and for the reasons mentioned above, I have to try and keep them off our forums.)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2003, 07:09 AM

Rumor threads should be allowed. However, I agree with the locking of the previous few. They were utter and complete garbage.

I also understand his point about MacNN's relationship with Apple being tested by rumor threads.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by tooki

I'd love to see real rumors, but nobody ever has any any sooner than the night before, and for the reasons mentioned above, I have to try and keep them off our forums.
It seems to me that there is somewhat of a contradiction here. "Real" rumors have to come from somewhere "somewhat" believable and it seems to me that those are precisely the ones that Apple would prefer not to see.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 11:08 AM

A few additional points:

1) Rumors are a large and important part of all internet forums--whether they are about computers, digital cameras or make-up.

2) The only cases where sites got into trouble with Apple were when they published photos of unreleased products that were taken within Apple Computer. Clearly there is no problem with a thread that starts "a friend of mine works for one of Apple's suppliers and I have it on good authority that Apple will begin selling a purple people eater pod next Friday"--these sorts of rumors are everywhere and Apple has never said a thing about them.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
It seems to me that there is somewhat of a contradiction here. "Real" rumors have to come from somewhere "somewhat" believable and it seems to me that those are precisely the ones that Apple would prefer not to see.
I said I'd love to see real rumors. I didn't say I wanted to see them on MacNN.

A few additional points:
2) The only cases where sites got into trouble with Apple were when they published photos of unreleased products that were taken within Apple Computer. Clearly there is no problem with a thread that starts "a friend of mine works for one of Apple's suppliers and I have it on good authority that Apple will begin selling a purple people eater pod next Friday"--these sorts of rumors are everywhere and Apple has never said a thing about them.
How mistaken you are! Apple has threatened MacNN, if I recall correctly, and MacNN hasn't ever published photos and whatnot. Many sites have been put on Apple's blacklist (which results in such pleasantries as denial of Macworld Expo press passes) for precisely the things you think Apple's cool with. They're not.

tooki

P.S. Since Macworld magazine is Apple's bitch, they (and MacCentral, since owned by Macworld) can get away with stuff that no other Mac sites can get away with.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 01:48 PM

How mistaken you are! Apple has threatened MacNN, if I recall correctly, and MacNN hasn't ever published photos and whatnot. Many sites have been put on Apple's blacklist (which results in such pleasantries as denial of Macworld Expo press passes) for precisely the things you think Apple's cool with. They're not.

Yes, but that is MacNN�s news portion of the site. Forums aren�t responsible for what individuals say in those forums. If forums don�t allow the sort of rumors that I�ve just referred to then the forums will be poorer for it. These rumors often help those trying to make decisions. Most people buying a Mac today are glad to know that there are strong rumors of new machines in early January. They can take that into account. If they buy now they are less likely to be disappointed.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 01:57 PM

If we never said things on these forums that Apple didn't like then these forums would just become apologist sites for Apple.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 04:29 PM

Look, why is this even up for debate? U.S. law has found that forum operators can be held responsible for what members post on the forum, even if they don't really have control over it. MacNN has to watch out for what goes on in the forums -- yes, Apple reads them, too. And yes, Apple will blacklist us for promoting rumor threads. We admins would *love* to have a rumors forum. Guess why we don't? Apple.

Guess why we can't allow ATI Radeon card firmware flashing instructions on the hardware forum? Cause ATI threatened to sue us.

We're not trying to be a pain, WizOSX, but the fact is that you -- like most members -- have no idea about the pitfalls of running a forum that is run by a commercial entity. It's not that we want to be tyrants, it's that we have to keep a lot of things in check if you want these forums to remain in existence to begin with.

tooki

P.S. MacNN used to have a rumor site, run under a different domain -- I think it was passed on to someone else when Apple threatened legal action against MacNN because of it.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 04:43 PM

Look, why is this even up for debate?.

I think this is up for debate because many people clearly want to discuss rumors about upcoming Apple products in this forum. If MacNN has a general policy for all the subject areas in its forum, i.e. "no rumors allowed," then let that be posted right now as a sticky in every area.

BTW, tooki, I am not taking issue with you locking the one thread. You should have locked it--because it was intentionally outrageous/satirical and so belonged in the Lounge, labeled as such. But not because it contained rumors.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:47 PM

If you want rediculous rumor threads ad nauseum, head on over to Apple Insider Forums. They seem to love that stuff over there. Me, I get agita listening to that crap-ola.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 06:22 PM

I think this is up for debate because many people clearly want to discuss rumors about upcoming Apple products in this forum. If MacNN has a general policy for all the subject areas in its forum, i.e. "no rumors allowed," then let that be posted right now as a sticky in every area.
OK, how's this: it's not up for debate.

I KNOW people want to discuss rumors, I'm not debating that. The fact is, we CAN'T have excessive rumor threads, because we're a news site and Apple WILL blacklist us.

This is not negotiable (because Apple won't negotiate).

If you want to discuss rumors, go to a rumor site like MacOSRumors.com or AppleInsider.com.

tooki

P.S. I wanna be totally clear here... I don't like rumor threads any more, because since Apple went to the "need to know basis", no rumors have ever been accurate except for one or two days before an event. Silly "wishlist" rumors are of no interest to me, and certainly aren't worth risking MacNN's news-reporting ability for.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 06:49 PM

I'm with tooki on this - there's enough rumour sites already.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 10:54 PM

"OK, how's this: it's not up for debate."

Post it as a sticky at the top of your forums, and let people know that they should be leaving for other sites--if you don't have the balls to let people speculate, you don't really deserve the traffic, either.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:
"OK, how's this: it's not up for debate."

Post it as a sticky at the top of your forums, and let people know that they should be leaving for other sites--if you don't have the balls to let people speculate, you don't really deserve the traffic, either.
It's funny how people just don't understand English.

joe_kr
Dec 23, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

If you want to discuss rumors, go to a rumor site like MacOSRumors.com or AppleInsider.com.
MOSR doesn't have forums, and aren't desirable for other reasons too.

try http://forums.macrumors.com
( Last edited by joe_kr; Dec 23, 2003 at 01:23 AM. )

applenut1
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
And what you people may not realize is that promoting rumors could actually put MacNN on very bad terms with Apple, which would be... bad. (This is not hypothetical, by the way, it has happened to other Mac news sites.)

tooki

P.S. Threads poking fun at other forum members (including, but most decidedly not limited to, mods and admins) is grounds for revocation of posting privileges. But I'll be nice this time, because I feel like it.
wow, you're a real asshole

applenut1
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 12:31 AM

uh oh.... we don't want macnn to get blacklisted

that would be horrible. i mean, how would they compete with macminute and maccentral then....o wait, they already can't.

wait, they wouldn't get press passes..... awww, the horror, how will they ever manage to link to dozens of press releases and quote 2 sentences from each to maintain their homepage....o wait, they will still be able to do that.

WAIT, how will they take pictures from the showfloor and keynote or attend the keynote..... gosh, that paid pass is so much ****ing money

Inside Info: PowerMac G4 2.6Ghz in January

now can we close to thread so that macnn doesn't get blacklisted.

im sure apple would love to know why AppleInsider forums go down when MacNN's forums do..... hmmmm

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 02:02 AM

Bunch of friggin' babies. If you don't like the rules here, leave! It's a private forum. You don't have any rights here. Go form your own forum and run it any way you like. Why the mods/admins even entertain such "debates" is a mystery to me. If young people cared half as much about BS going on in the real world, old men and oil companies wouldn't be running roughshod over us all. Go register to vote. Make a friend. Stand for something that means something.

Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules