Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > School Newspaper Article

School Newspaper Article
tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 04:32 AM

I just wrote an article for my school's newspaper (I'm not an editor or anything...I just felt like it) about nerds. I thought that some of you might be interested.

By the way, the names are all made up.

"Defending the Nerd Cause

Hello. My name is Billy Joe. I�m a nerd.

No, I did not just insult myself. Rather, I simply stated an aspect of who I am. It is not derogatory, and it is not shameful�-it just is. In fact, it is something that I oftentimes flaunt. Thus, it is immeasurably frustrating when people ask me, �Billy Joe, I was just wondering...do you think you�re a nerd?� How do I respond to that question? It�s obvious to me that those who ask it are merely finding a euphemistic way of telling me that I�m a nerd. Of course I�m a nerd! I�m proud of it, too! Why must I be treated as though I am something that I wished I weren�t?

Far more frequently, I am confronted with the overwhelming originality of �Dude, you are such a nerd.� Tell me, what does one say upon being told that he/she is �so cool,� or �in the hizzouse�? Such phrases, unless I am terribly misinformed, are usually taken as compliments. Why must �you are such a nerd� be treated any differently? One might argue that is it different on the basis of its typically derogatory intent, but regardless of how it is intended to be perceived, I could never take offense to such a compliment.

I�d like to address some common misconceptions regarding nerds. The first and most common is that the word �nerd� is synonymous with the word �loser,� which results from the fact that there is no clear-cut definition for �nerd.� Dictionaries are meaningless (in this context), as The American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, which states that a nerd is �a foolish, inept, or unattractive person,� certainly attests to. I mean...we all know that I�m a hot stud. For those of you who simply have no clue, being a nerd has something to do with a person�s IQ, strange sense of humor, love for computers, desire to perform countless mathematical operations, ability to push past social restraints, and of course, not being �cool� (please note that my rough definition is merely a generalization). �A �loser,� on the other hand, is typically regarded as one who lacks friends, confidence, and potential. I don�t see myself as a loser. I have friends, enough confidence to play a leading role in this year�s fall play, and am considered by many to have great potential.

Another (somewhat related) misconception is that nerds are hard to get along with and completely introverted. This is simply not true! Given that we care nothing for social �laws,� we typically befriend just about anyone (that is, according to some old-timers, anyone willing to commit �social suicide�). Regarding our overall attitudes, I just smile when I think of nerds as introverted. True, there are the exceptions, but on the whole nerds don�t shut up! From programming to calculus to awkward jokes, the chatter never ceases.

When asked about his views on the nerd cause, Samuel Jones (10th grade), self-proclaimed nerd and fellow ThinkGeek.com t-shirt wearer, responded: �I don't think elementary and middle school students are very comfortable with themselves. In my experience, nerds would try to hide their differences and blend in with the norm, while everyone else would lash out at them whenever possible. In high school�-at least at Mount Mushroom High�-I have found that people are generally more willing to accept differences between their peers. I can be myself here. I can wear t-shirts describing things that most people don't understand, and aside from the occasional �Your shirt doesn't make sense...you're weird,� nobody gives me any trouble.� Samuel, like myself, is a devout nerd. Nerdiness is something we idolize...in a purely non-religious manner, of course.

Those who perceive nerds in the proper light tend to have the utmost respect for us. �Well, I haven't reached that [nerd] status yet...I can't make myself seem better than I am,� said Jason Rosen (10th grade), upon questioning. Perhaps Jason was not all that serious in his response, but despite the sarcasm, many people do subconsciously see nerds as their role models. The next time you catch yourself about to call someone a nerd, remind yourself that he/she is most likely aware of, and proud of, that fact. Remind yourself further that deep down, you might even admire it."
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

voyageur
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 09:18 AM

Next time someone calls you a nerd, remember the chant of the cheerleaders at MIT sports events when MIT's team is losing (often):

"That's all right, that's okay,
You're going to work for us some day!"

You know they're probably right.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 09:23 AM

LOL!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2004, 12:30 PM

I feel sorry for people that think that they are nerds and are proud of it because usually they aren't the textbook nerd, they are more of a geek. There is a distinct difference.

I view nerds as someone that has quasi-poor hygiene, like to take conversations on complete tangents and always go out of their way to point out random exceptions to general social rules. They are introverts that don't (and usually can't) socialize with peers. A girls/guy usually needs to hit a nerd over the head before the nerd knows she/he likes him/her.

Nerds dress in either black, or in clothing that is out of sync with modern trends (Think rainbow suspenders, a velvet cowboy hat, a stripped button up shirt that is two sizes too large, high-top sneakers, stone washed (circa 1980) Lee jeans and a long western style trench coat.

Nerds "think" that they fit in. Nerds are usually push overs with fragile egos.

Geeks tend to "LOOK" like normal people (geeks like to say geekey comments like "Well, what is normal" after hearing a normal person say such a comment), but have all of the social characteristics of a nerd. When you strike up a conversation in a group environment, you can't spot out a geek until he or she speaks and then it's blatantly obvious.

Geeks tend to dress a bit better then nerds and usually try to keep up with music and clothing trends to a certain point.

Other items both geeks and nerds like to do:

Take systems that work perfectly fine and computerize them.

Example Instead of everyone signing up for the christmas party on a sheet of paper in the lobby of the building, Nerds/Geeks develop and organize a web site and list-serve to do the exact same thing the sheet of paper does, but takes 100X the time and energy, yet doesn't work 100%.

Remove every essence of adventure

Example Instead of going on a three day road trip to a beach house, where you will have to find a hotel along the way. Nerds/Geeks will calculate the best/fastest way to get there, will book hotel rooms in advance, will try to find the cheapest gas, will have a map, CD-R's of "Traveling Music" comprised of very outdated songs that don't flow, will have every tiny detail organized including lame trips and lunch reservations, until it's no longer an adventure, but a paint by numbers portrait.

Can't be without their precious technology

Every see someone at the beach with a laptop? Ever see someone with a PDA strapped on their hip on Saturday or Sunday morning? Ever see someone hooking up a PS2 or Xbox to a summer house or on a vacation. A person with a video camera at a drinking party (exception Digital Cameras) NERD ALERT NERD ALERT NERD ALERT NERD ALERT

I'm just uncomfortable with this new nerd mystique.

P.S. Neo from The Matrix wasn't a nerd or a geek. He was a cool/smart guy. Remember that.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 4, 2004, 12:51 PM

That was great, Mitchell...but only a nerd/ geek would take the time to write that

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2004, 01:11 PM

Congratulations on your article getting published in your school newspaper tavilach!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

Geeks of the world unite!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 07:48 PM

At the schools I went to the 'nerds' always called me a nerd.
Aloha

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I feel sorry for people that think that they are nerds and are proud of it because usually they aren't the textbook nerd, they are more of a geek. There is a distinct difference.
It all depends on your definition of "nerd." I would never think of myself as a loser, which seems a lot closer to your definition of "nerd."

I hope you understand that.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 04:28 AM

Good to see you stand up for yourself as well as other Nerds.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Good to see you stand up for yourself as well as other Nerds.

Ming

Forum Links
Forum Rules