Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple: Amazing Gesture - Thank You

Apple: Amazing Gesture - Thank You
iWrite
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 10:12 AM

So, I had to call the other day about an Apple-related issue and I had Apple Executive Relations on the telephone and yes, I'm acquainted with some of the folks there, but I was discussing my son's school with the representative. Mentioned that I'd given the school several Macs -- which they could probably look up since I transferred the warranties over to the school.

Well, what shows up at my house this morning?

10 boxes of Panther.

10 boxes of iLife.

And a note that says that the software is for the school -- "to help the school stay current with their operating system on each computer."

I just had to tell everyone -- because this is why Apple is #1. Called the school principal and they are sending a really nice thank you card signed by the school and kids and going to put up a note at their webpage to thank Apple.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 9, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I just had to tell everyone -- because this is why I (me, me ME!) am #1.
fixed.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 10:21 AM

That's really nice, Philzilla.

It has nothing to do with "me."

It has to do with Apple doing something profoundly nice -- without asking.

I have a feeling that they do this frequently, but maybe we never hear about it because it's not as if they're giving away computers. It's a nice gesture, that's all.

In the big picture with respect to Apple I'm the small fish in the food chain -- truly.

But, if you want to point out what kind of a nasty and jaded person you are in response to something like this, feel free to. You always have a way of ruining perfectly nice threads.

Congratulations.

clt2
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 10:30 AM

Yet when Microsoft does the same thing, all we hear is "It's software, it doesn't even cost them anything!", "Just like drugdealers, Microsoft is giving the first one away for free. Get those kids hooked early!".

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 9, 2004, 10:30 AM

It has nothing to do with "me."
So, I had to call the other day about an Apple-related issue and I had Apple Executive Relations on the telephone and yes, I'm acquainted with some of the folks there, but I was discussing my son's school with the representative. Mentioned that I'd given the school several Macs -- which they could probably look up since I transferred the warranties over to the school.
i count six instances of you referring to yourself in that first paragraph. how does that have nothing to do with you?

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 10:51 AM

Whatever, Philzilla.

I guess I should just say, "Out of the blue, Apple sent 10 boxes of Panther and 10 boxes of iLife. Thank you, Apple."

Nothing explaining the hows or the whys, right? That is how it should be done -- according to you.

The truth is that I did have to discuss something with Apple and I feel it was important to name the department and I felt it was important to mention that it wasn't for me -- it was for a school.

You just had to twist it around and make something nice into an issue about me. It's classic -- you've done this since I can remember and you continue to do it.

Honestly, I hope your day and life goes better because you apparently live in a sad little existence that leaves with no room except to think about why and how people are trying to constantly offend you, in particular, for *some* reason.

I just thought Apple was awesome to do this -- period. I never expected it and it shocked me.

As Sigmund Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

But, once again you are creating conflict and turning the thread around so that it is about fighting and bickering and nasty conflict. You need some help. Why don't you, since you think this is about "me," just avoid the thread? I think it would make you happier!

It's really not a thread to respond to, anyway; I just wanted to share a really cool gesture that Apple made, that's all.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 9, 2004, 10:59 AM

you didn't answer the question.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2004, 11:15 AM

So you two want to knock it off now? I'm getting sick of seeing perfectly good threads ruined over personality clashes. It doesn't really add much to the forums.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Dis0rDer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 11:21 AM

10 boxes of Panther.

10 boxes of iLife.

And a note that says that the software is for the school -- "to help the school stay current with their operating system on each computer."

I just had to tell everyone -- because this is why Apple is #1. Called the school principal and they are sending a really nice thank you card signed by the school and kids and going to put up a note at their webpage to thank Apple.

iWrite:

I want to congratulate you for what you did: Donating the computers etc., and going the next step in contacting Apple. I think it is very nice that they sent the boxes to you for the school. Your post is inspiring, that one person can have a profound effect on others.

Kudos to you, and Apple.

-Me
Somewhere between the sacred silence and
sleep.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
fixed.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you didn't answer the question.
I will.

I believe you should have learned in grade school the idea of the subject/theme of a story.

The subject/theme of the story is how Apple did a nice thing for the school by sending them free software. iWrite is clearly not the subject.

This first paragraph is merely background information that allows the reader to better understand the story being conveyed.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 12:16 PM

o i c [/hanks]

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 12:18 PM

10 boxes of Panther.

10 boxes of iLife.

Well that's pretty naive of Apple. If they wanted to donate the software to the school why didn't they send it themselves TO the school? I hope your donations were beefy enough to even run Panther/iLife. Funky story.

DRM

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 12:25 PM

Mentioned that I'd given the school several Macs -- which they could probably look up since I transferred the warranties over to the school.

iBrag strikes again.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 12:40 PM

way to go iwrite and apple

but yes, why didn't apple send the sw directly to the school? I mean someone eles might put the software up on ebay

good job

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
iBrag strikes again.
Idiotic statement. You go out and do something good and then STFU. Jackass.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 12:52 PM

Well, when they gave me a copy and I installed it on a laptop that a high school uses, the teacher came over and thanked me personally.

Me me me me me me me me me...

Oh, sorry, them...

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Doing something good is one thing. Immediately running around beating your own drum for HOW awesome you are is another.

iWrite is trying to build presonal cred by showing off what a wonderfully charitable person she is. It's not that anyone is taking issue with the fact that she did something cool or the school, it's that she runs right over to post here so that everyone can kiss her ass about what a saint she is.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 12:55 PM

Dude, more Passion. He posted in this thread? Is that not good enough anymore? What is wrong with the Internet?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 12:55 PM

iBrag strikes again.
How many computers have you given to schools?

I give a generous amount of latitude to anyone that donates clothing/computers/time/energy to any school etc...

That fact that Apple simply shipped the software for free is amazing.

I haven't seen Microsoft EVER do anything like it... they are always there when it's a big purchase (the same goes for Dell, Gateway etc.) but for 10 packages?

Kudos to all.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
way to go iwrite and apple

but yes, why didn't apple send the sw directly to the school? I mean someone eles might put the software up on ebay

good job
Or worse yet, NOT follow up to see that the school is using the computers. By sending it to iWrite, I'm confident that it's actually going to get to the computers. If it was sent to the school, who knows where it would end up. I'm almost prepared to say it would end up in the office of some IT guy that HATES Apple.

Smart thinking Apple.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
How many computers have you given to schools?

That's not the point.

You have no idea how much I have given - still give every month - to a charity of my choice. The reason that you have no idea is because I don't find it necessary to post about it on teh intarweb.

Doing good

Bragging about it

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 01:01 PM

Congratulations to you iWrite for your generous donation to the school and Apple to assist. This is why we are all Apple fans.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 01:10 PM

That's not the point.

You have no idea how much I have given - still give every month - to a charity of my choice. The reason that you have no idea is because I don't find it necessary to post about it on teh intarweb.

Doing good

Bragging about it
Bingo! We have a winner folks!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ae77
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 01:11 PM

very nice iWrite. good story to read.
^_^

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 01:13 PM

Actually, I think is a very good gesture. Not just iWrite for donating, but for Apple to acknowledge it and sum up.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 01:15 PM

That's not the point.

Doing good

Bragging about it
We really don't care in here, unless it is Apple related. If you have a positive story to tell, then do it. Just don't piss all over this good one. You just did brag that you give but don't boast about it...or did you? Do you?

For saying you give to other charities of choice.

For bashing, then not bragging, then bragging...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 01:19 PM

Phew, it's getting deep in the Lounge lately...tempers are flyin...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 01:24 PM

We really don't care in here, unless it is Apple related.
This is the LOUNGE. Just in case you missed it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Phew, it's getting deep in the Lounge lately...tempers are flyin...
EVERYONE'S GOT THEIR DOTS!

OMG ZING!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2004, 01:46 PM

Apple can screw up a lot, just as much as every other computer company. But there are times like this where they really go out of their way that makes me forget about their screw ups.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 01:48 PM

That's not the point.

Doing good

Bragging about it
I feel her post was totally appropriate. It's not like she said something random? It is Apple and OS X related... Now if she would have said something about a Plasma screen or whatever, then I would have given her a big

I still feel like if you give, you shouldn't feel ashamed to tell people that you did. I will say that iWrite (on occasion) seems to be rather telling with regards to her purchases etc. but I usually find them interesting to say the least. It's nice to know how the other half lives.

I don't see why people are bitching...

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 01:56 PM

iBrag strikes again.
and again and again. iWrite threads aren't ruined by personality clashes. They're ruined by the air of smug, self-satifaction that hang over them.

"I had Apple 'Executive Relations' on the telephone and yes, I'm acquainted with some of the folks there". Maybe you think that was a clever, subtle way of telling us you're wealthy? It wasn't. It was a clumsy, vulgar attempt at self aggrandizement.

Does your husband know you feel this need for public swaggering to strangers? The same strangers he considers to be idiots? (or whatever it was he said about Macnn users). I'm guessing he doesn't know you post here an average of 8.4 times a day.
tin pot, garden shed

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by fromthecloud:
I will.

I believe you should have learned in grade school the idea of the subject/theme of a story.

The subject/theme of the story is how Apple did a nice thing for the school by sending them free software. iWrite is clearly not the subject.

This first paragraph is merely background information that allows the reader to better understand the story being conveyed.
I think the point of the teasing is that we're often entreated to background information (e.g. "my child - who by the way is gifted . . .") that isn't really germane to the story but seems designed to impress us with the writer's status. We're all proud in one way or another but I see a pattern in this case. I think phil's response was funny.

I congratulate iWrite for her contributions but I also hope that she gets the point of the teasing.

[edited to remove some of the stilted prose. I'm in grad school - the Sorbonne, staying at the Ritz - and all the writing is starting to affect me.]
( Last edited by zigzag; Mar 9, 2004 at 04:06 PM. )

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2004, 02:50 PM

Wow.

What a bitter thread this has turned out to be.

Couldn't the poop-slinging have been confined to PM?

FWIW, I think Apple didn't send the package to the school because the gesture probably originated from the rep, and was kept at the level of personal interaction with iWrite (i.e. the rep has ties to iWrite, not the school)

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
but yes, why didn't apple send the sw directly to the school?
Should have just sent one copy of each program and said "Don't worry about the licensing agreement"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 03:08 PM

Wouldn't it have been cheaper for them to send 1 OS X box and a sheet of paper with a 10-seat license number? I didn't get 100 boxes when I bought a 100-seat license.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I think the point of the teasing is that we are often entreated to background information (e.g. "my child - who by the way is gifted . . .") that is not really germane to the story but seems designed to impress us with the writer's status.
exactly. in another one of iWrite's posts she said that her daughter, who by the way was top of the class, is now paying part of the rent or bills or something. and little tidbits about her children, like "all of my children are in the county honors program - not by request of me, but by the county itself." it just happens so often you get the feeling that iWrite just flaunts everything she has. and anyway, from what i've encountered with county schools, you have to walk up to them and be like "i think my child is too advanced for 6th grade shes in, can you test her so she can be in 6th grade honors?" they don't just randomly take the smart kids and give them a test to see how intelligent they are. for me to get into bio honors, we had to go talk to my counsler, then to my assistant principal to get me into bio honors and english honors, they didn't just be like "hey this kid is smart so lets put him into this class" we (me and my mom) had to take the first step and bring in the papers saying i met the requirements.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Wouldn't it have been cheaper for them to send 1 OS X box and a sheet of paper with a 10-seat license number? I didn't get 100 boxes when I bought a 100-seat license.

CV
They probably had too many damn boxes since you just got one and a 100-seat license.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2004, 03:22 PM

I hope they were panther ready...

despite the slinging, good for the schools.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV

This is just one of the many reasons why I begin to think that iWrite is actually the figment of an imagination who's owner has attended too many creative writing courses.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 9, 2004, 03:48 PM

i direct you all to what i said here.

now please, enough of the dogpile.

Cipher13
Mar 9, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
Couldn't the poop-slinging have been confined to PM?
But then we can't watch.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 03:57 PM

This is just one of the many reasons why I begin to think that iWrite is actually the figment of an imagination who's owner has attended too many creative writing courses.
Actually, you are a figment of our imaginations, but only for entertainment value, and that's about it. I fear we haven't imagined you quite smart enough to hold our attention for very lon.......

Cipher13
Mar 9, 2004, 04:03 PM

Actually, you are a figment of our imaginations, but only for entertainment value, and that's about it. I fear we haven't imagined you quite smart enough to hold our attention for very lon.......
I doubt your imagination(s) have enough power driving them to create such an intelligent 'character'.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I doubt your imagination(s) have enough power driving them to create such an intelligent 'character'.
My mistake! I stand corrected. He is in fact, more intelligent than I gave him credit for! But, you on the other hand, are a fvcking idiot for answering for him.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 04:50 PM

This is REALLY silly.

Fighting over...what?

I didn't call Apple because of a school-related issue. I called Apple because I was confused about a company order, that's all. It was actually FedEx-delivery related -- our items were delivered to the wrong business and one of them was opened and taken out of the box. It was annoying/upsetting. I'm not more special than anyone else. We buy Macs every year, some for business, some for personal use, and for some of them, we phase them out. In this instance we had some older 800Mhz eMacs that we phased out and replaced with newer models so we gave them to the school (and a couple of G3 iMacs.) What's the big deal with that? I'm not going to say how many because that might be construed as "bragging" apparently, but we've done this over the years and we try to do it just before a warranty expires so that they have the option of buying Applecare for the system (we don't pay for that.)

Maybe Apple did it because they felt bad about the problem(s) with FedEx and maybe they did it just because the person on the telephone was incredibly kind.

I like to think that it doesn't matter, you know? Someone at Apple had a kind heart and took the time to send out a little something that will benefit a few thousand children.

It was a REALLY nice gesture and we took them over to the school today and trust me, the school is thrilled. This is a school that regularly sends home notes that ask if we have any copy paper to spare, pencils, donations for school supplies, etc. Anything helps -- especially software -- and this was a really nice gesture.

I would like to think that more companies would help out like that, you know?

That's the beginning and the end of the "point" of this thread. Sorry it is derailed again -- not necessary.

Everyone have a good day...

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 9, 2004, 05:03 PM

Is everyone in the Lounge a ****wit today? Who gives a **** if iWrite was bragging about it or not? Maybe if a few more people did good things and bragged the world would be little better. Who cares why good things are being done as long as they are being done.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2004, 05:23 PM

Dude you guys are morons, me and iWrite aren't exactly chums I think we have had occasion to both disagree and agree, but ultimately I can not believe you guys are faulting him for mentioning a donation to a school while praising Apple. That's bloody stupid on your parts.

iWrite that's cool what Macs did the school get anyway?

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 05:31 PM

iWrite is a lady.

im so 1337

Forum Links
Forum Rules