Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > did the 10.3.4 update kill my B&W?

did the 10.3.4 update kill my B&W?
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 09:20 AM

Machine was fine, I ran the update,rebooted, and now, sometimes the harddrive will not have any startup activity, sometimes it will, But my monitor stays on power save ALL the time. I know the machine can work, because I let it boot up (by listening to the drive) and then i can hit the power button, and press enter and it will shut down. so did the update smoke my machine? has anyone else had this problem?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 09:53 AM

Can you get it up and running in either OS or OS X with the original install CDs?

Do a Cuda reset and zap PRAM, and then give it a go.

I would try this first to see what is actually happening...

the weatherman
May 30, 2004, 04:14 PM

Applied the updater om my B&W and everything went without a hitch. Although the other machine, an MDD lost some its video resolution after the update. Might be related, loosing your video signal, what graphics card are you using? Did you try Placid Casual's suggestions? Sometimes, just zapping the PRAM cures the problem.

nate_02
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 04:56 PM

A day after intalling the update on my B&W, The hard drive failed. It was probably just coincidence.

Right now it's a SCSI HD, does anyone know if I can just stick an IDE drive in there? I there is an IDE controller for the CD/ZIP, but I'm not sure if there is another one for hard drives.
-nate

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
A day after intalling the update on my B&W, The hard drive failed. It was probably just coincidence.

Right now it's a SCSI HD, does anyone know if I can just stick an IDE drive in there? I there is an IDE controller for the CD/ZIP, but I'm not sure if there is another one for hard drives.
Yes, sort of.

The rev. 1 B&W G3's support only one ATA/33 hard drive, and may not play nicely with high-capacity (>40GB) drives.

The rev. 2 B&W's have a revised ATA/33 controller that will support two drives, and should work better with drives up to 135GB.

Check out xlr8yourmac.com's B&W G3 section to get see the most accurate ways to tell which revision you have. Although not always reliable, if the machine has three separate hard drive mounting plates, and the one furthest toward the rear of the machine has vertical space for two drives, then most likely it is a rev. 2 machine. If the mounting plate for the hard drives is one long plate with room for three drives next to each other, then it is most likely a rev. 1 machine. However, some machines assembled during the rev. 1 to 2 switchover may not follow these rules. Looking at the IDE controller chip is the only 100% reliable way to tell. See xlr8yourmac.com for the chip location and specific markings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules