Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > repair permissions not working - what now?

repair permissions not working - what now?
badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 01:00 PM

DiskUtility is reporting some permissions that were repaired but when I check again, it tries to repair the same permissions again (which means to me, that it fails in repairing those permissions)!

That's why I tried to repair one of those permisions manually as root but I get error -60002 when I do this! (it's for example the alias etc that has now the group "staff" but it should have "admin" - correct me if I am wrong!)

What's error -60002 and how do I now manage to repair those permissions???

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2005, 01:17 PM

-60002 looks like one of the Security Framework errors:

Code:
errAuthorizationInvalidRef = -60002, /* The authorization parameter is invalid. */
What program are you using to try and change the permissions?

Also, what file is it that you are worried about? Just because it comes up each time you run Repair Permissions does not necessarily mean that Repair Permissions is failing, or that those permissions are necessarily incorrect. If it's some sort of temp file or settings file, it makes perfect sense that some program could be changing its permissions when the file is modified, and the permissions it has could be just fine. What file is it?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 02:28 PM

I think I'll better provide a picture to make clear what I am trying to repair - check here

You can see the 3 aliases that normally should be hidden. I logged in as root and made a "get info" on them but when I try to change the group from "staff" to "admin" (as it should be, right?) I get the error -60002!

Those aliases were also listed in DiskUtilitie's repair permissions routine along with the widget directory but none of them really got repaired!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2005, 03:43 PM

Oh, those are just the symlinks at the root of the drive. I really wouldn't worry about it, as it is not going to make one bit of difference if they are owned by staff or group.

As long as you are able to change the permissions of normal files, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh, those are just the symlinks at the root of the drive. I really wouldn't worry about it, as it is not going to make one bit of difference if they are owned by staff or group.

As long as you are able to change the permissions of normal files, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Well, probably right but as you can see in my picture, those symlinks are visible! I thought that's because the permissions are wrong!?
The error happened because the OS has been restored (copied) from a HD (with DU) because I wanted to format the original HD!

I want those symlinks invisible again.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
I want those symlinks invisible again.
If you have Xcode installed, try this:

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /etc
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /var
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /tmp

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Phil Sherry
If you have Xcode installed
No, I don't!

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
No, I don't!
In that case, you want something else to do the job.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 05:59 AM

XRay is a pretty good tool for that.

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 01:57 PM

Thanks guys, that worked (but I am still worried why I couldn't repair those permissions with DU...)!

Forum Links
Forum Rules