Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Need a Webhost Recommendation (Different than vja4him's Thread)

Need a Webhost Recommendation (Different than vja4him's Thread)
selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 12:53 PM

Please recommend a good webhost to me with these features:
  1. Either a Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP environment or a MacOS X/Apache/MySQL/PHP environment
  2. 24-hour phone support
  3. Full permissions (go ahead and flame me about "what that means" — I can take it, I really can)
  4. Ability to access the databases using SQL Grinder, YourSQL or other desktop Mac OS X MySQL client/browser (this latter point is very important)
Thanks, folks!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2005, 01:26 PM

Actually, I'm forced to ask: what is it that you mean by 'full permissions'? Do you need complete and total access to the machine hosting your files? Would having permissions only on your Home folder but full .htaccess support be enough for you? Do you need to be able to install arbitrary apps on the server, and if so, do they need to be in arbitrary locations, or could you install them into your home folder if you had to?

I've been satisfied with PHPWebHosting, but it doesn't exactly meet your specifications. It satisfies with 1 (LAMP) easily enough, and it satisfies 3 if you can get by with full permissions on only your home folder. It includes PHPMyAdmin support, which may satisfy 4 for you; I'm not sure. However, it does not do phone support; it has its own system for helpdesk requests.

I don't know if this will satisfy you or not, but I figured I'd mention it. If you actually require unfettered access to your entire server machine, then colocation is probably your only option. MacMiniColo is one option; the servers are budget (actual Mac Minis), but the price is hard to beat: $29.99/month if you provide the Mini. They sell Minis or even lease them at what look like reasonable rates too. If you need a higher-end server than that, then this probably isn't the place to be looking for that sort of thing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 01:30 PM

Well, let me clarify what I mean by "full permissions". I always hated it when phpMyAdmin would report that I have "no privileges". After all, it's my freakin' data, you know what I mean? Anyhoo, I'd really prefer to edit MySQL databases using a desktop client like SQLGrinder, which my current host won't allow me to do.

On the other hand, it's nice in my case not to have all of the administrative privileges because I don't want to screw up, delete my own user account, destroy my database, etc. by accident, and not having permissions does make that harder, which is (oddly) a good thing.

I can do without phone support if I can have the other three. #4 is the truly crucial feature that I currently lack and fondly desire. PHPMyAdmin doesn't cut it because that's a server-side tool — I want something client-side (on my Mac) that syncs automatically with the server.

I'm more than happy to install such things as ImageMagick in my home folder if I have to. Storing it someplace else would be preferable, but since I'm going to turn off the ability to see a list of files in the home directory it probably doesn't really matter.

Eleven thousand posts??? Dude, do you, like, have a life, or not?
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 17, 2005 at 01:55 PM. )

jasonlustig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2005, 03:37 PM

So I'm not sure if you can use a client-side client to connect to your mysql databases - but that's only because I've never tried it myself - but Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/) is an excellent hosting company and I really, really like it. You get full shell access, and it has 24 hour e-mail support which is excellent. If you sign up with my promo code (lustig), you can $77 off (if you sign up for a year), or $50 off (if you sign up for a monthly plan, which covers the setup fee).

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Jason

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 03:50 PM

if you're using a host with CPanel, and so many people are these days, you can use any desktop tool that you want to administer your MySQL.

Add your IP to the Access Hosts section in the MySQL section, and you're golden.

I did that a lot when I was using jaguarpc as a host.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jasonlustig
So I'm not sure if you can use a client-side client to connect to your mysql databases - but that's only because I've never tried it myself - but Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/) is an excellent hosting company and I really, really like it. You get full shell access, and it has 24 hour e-mail support which is excellent. If you sign up with my promo code (lustig), you can $77 off (if you sign up for a year), or $50 off (if you sign up for a monthly plan, which covers the setup fee).

Jason
Thanks, Jason. I would wonder what the use of a program like SQLGrinder would be if you can't connect it to remote databases, only local ones. That would really shrink their potential market, which is small enough as it is, I would imagine.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by registered_user
if you're using a host with CPanel, and so many people are these days, you can use any desktop tool that you want to administer your MySQL.

Add your IP to the Access Hosts section in the MySQL section, and you're golden.

I did that a lot when I was using jaguarpc as a host.
Looks like I'd need a static IP address, then, no? I realize there are services that will mimic a static IP (or I could just pay for one), but that's kind of a pain.

Unless, of course, you mean the IP of my website. But I don't think that's what you're referring to.

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2005, 04:18 PM

I mean the IP address of the machine running the software.

If you're on dial-up then it might be tougher. I have a cable connection and my IP changes very very infrequently (read: when I manually renew the DHCP Lease).

But, it does allow wild cards, so you could open up entire IP blocks if you wanted to. Though that's technically a security no-no.

Of course, even you had a dedicated box you'd still probably need to do that for the convenience you seek. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to pay.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 05:59 PM

I mean the IP address of the machine running the software.
In this case, you mean my Mac? Both the server and my computer are "machines" and both are running "software".
If you're on dial-up then it might be tougher.
Nope. DSL, thank God.
But, it does allow wild cards, so you could open up entire IP blocks if you wanted to. Though that's technically a security no-no.
I won't go there.
Of course, even you had a dedicated box you'd still probably need to do that for the convenience you seek. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to pay.
Depends how much, as always.
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 17, 2005 at 08:39 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Eleven thousand posts??? Dude, do you, like, have a life, or not?
I'll plead the fifth on having a life, but check my registration date: I've been here for almost six years. On average, that comes out to about five posts per day, which isn't so bad. You should see Zimphire's post history: over 30,000 in four years.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Actually, I'm forced to ask...
Actually, you weren't.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 08:35 AM

Jason
Not that this is a problem, but in the interests of full disclosure, do you work for those guys? Or are companies in the habit of issuing coupons in your name because they like you?

jasonlustig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 10:43 AM

No, I don't work for dreamhost. I just use their hosting service, which I have been extremely happy with since I started working with them in may. They have an interesting referral system which allows you to make your own promo codes, so you can choose how much money people get off of the service. With normal referrals you get $97, but since I set up my promo code so that $77 of that money goes to the person buying the hosting, I only get $20 (which is still a decent bit of cash - 2 CDs on itunes!). But that's not the reason why I'm referring them - I am referring dreamhost because it has been a great experience for me. I really, really like how they give me full access to the server even though I'm on a shared server (for example I can re-compile my PHP if I want to, and so on), and you can have an unlimited number of mysql databases which they give you pretty much full access to.

Jason

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 11:56 AM

No, I don't work for dreamhost. I just use their hosting service, which I have been extremely happy with since I started working with them in may. They have an interesting referral system which allows you to make your own promo codes, so you can choose how much money people get off of the service. With normal referrals you get $97, but since I set up my promo code so that $77 of that money goes to the person buying the hosting, I only get $20 (which is still a decent bit of cash - 2 CDs on itunes!). But that's not the reason why I'm referring them - I am referring dreamhost because it has been a great experience for me. I really, really like how they give me full access to the server even though I'm on a shared server (for example I can re-compile my PHP if I want to, and so on), and you can have an unlimited number of mysql databases which they give you pretty much full access to.

Jason
Interesting. Thanks for the info. If I can use a local MySQL browser/client with their service, and if I can have domain-based e-mail, it might be just the ticket. Appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules