Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet?

Anyone had their 20 inch iMac ship yet? (Page 2)
HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 03:33 PM

Quiklee,

Thanks for replying.........and enjoy

We are in LA also but ordered though Amazon because of a credit we had.

Amazon expects another week or so before receiving and shipping, but that could easily change as we all know.
Shanghai is still the initial source; Apple has the biggest clout for their own orders.

BTW......Are you going to add memory...........1 gig or 2 gig...........or did you order with any extra memory?

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 03:36 PM

Duplicate------->deleted

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
Los Angeles - closer to Shanghai =)
Where in Los Angeles? I should um, come over... and uh. Configure it.

Yeah.
Linkinus is king.

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 04:00 PM

haha . . nice try . . . .

I ordered it with 1.5GB of Ram . . that was the only upgrade I purchased.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 06:12 PM

Enjoy dude. Mine's in Anchorage right now. I should have it tomorrow just in time for the weekend.

Timan
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
Enjoy dude. Mine's in Anchorage right now. I should have it tomorrow just in time for the weekend.
Nov 3, 2005 12:12 PM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

Yep, Same here. Says I'll get it monday... does FedEx deliver on Saturday?
- Tim

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 07:28 PM

Crap. I just noticed the estimated arrival date is monday for me too. I assumed it would get here on friday or saturday. I believe fedex does saturday shipments, maybe we'll get lucky.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 07:51 PM

Anyone who ordered a 500GB BTO have their model ship, or show a ship date before early December?
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 12:20 PM

it's on the way! yeah!

imac 20'
ordered: oct 20
shipped: nov 4 from shanghai with tnt
received: early next week???

time to order the extra memory :-)
iMac G5 (iSight), 20", 2.1 GHz / 1,5GB RAM / 250GB
12'' G4 ibook 1.2 GHz / 1.25 GB / 30 GB
40GB 4G ipod & 1GB ipod shuffle

Macbear  (op)
Nov 4, 2005, 03:12 PM

It's here! Woo hoo!

Shipped from Shanghai on November 1.

Arrived today (Nov. 4) at 11:00 a.m. in Ontario, Canada.

Huzzah!
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macbear
It's here! Woo hoo!

Shipped from Shanghai on November 1.

Arrived today (Nov. 4) at 11:00 a.m. in Ontario, Canada.

Huzzah!

I am soooo happy for you . Amazon is still showing December 27th for the 20" iMac I ordered 2 weeks ago

Seriously man, enjoy....

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 03:17 PM

<<duplicate...sorry>>

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 03:19 PM

Way to go !

Congratulations and nice photo too !

Thanks for sharing.

Be sure to post any of your user experiences for all of us.....

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 08:48 PM

Congrats Macbear. I got mine tonight too, enjoying it right now. It's almost perfectly silent, I love it!

Macbear  (op)
Nov 4, 2005, 10:51 PM

Congrats Macbear. I got mine tonight too, enjoying it right now. It's almost perfectly silent, I love it!
Yup, mine is like a whisper. I have to TRY to hear it. It is pumping out a good deal of heat through the top vent, but I guess that's to be expected. And I love the iSight. It's much clearer than my old iSight cam, and seems to require less ambient light to function.
Certainly worth the wait!
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

Sam I Am
Nov 4, 2005, 11:22 PM

I got mine today too! Picked it up 5 minutes before close of the FedEx depot!

Super impressed with mine so far. I am upgrading from an iMac DV SE so I'm sure anything would have been amazing.

Cheers guys

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
I got mine today too! Picked it up 5 minutes before close of the FedEx depot!

Super impressed with mine so far. I am upgrading from an iMac DV SE so I'm sure anything would have been amazing.

Cheers guys
Hey,

We're all jealous of you that got deliveries ; we know where to find you all this weekend and its not out in front of your houses.

Enjoy.........I also have a 2001 iMac DVSE that is totally refurbed (now termed refreshed by our Store) by Apple that is going on to a colleague at work next week who went through film production school using their eMacs.

Life is good on a Mac.

Timan
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 12:25 AM

If anyone wants to see the iMac G5 (iSight) compared to REV A, you can find photos here.

http://homepage.mac.com/tkimberl/PhotoAlbum2.html

The thing is seriously faster than my Rev A., the iMac just feels so snappy now. Can even play the new King Kong HD 1080p Trailer flawlessly.
- Tim

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Timan
The thing is seriously faster than my Rev A., the iMac just feels so snappy now. Can even play the new King Kong HD 1080p Trailer flawlessly.
This is quite interesting. I remember that the first and second generation duals at 2.0 GHz, needed 95-110% CPU time to decode 1080p video without dropping frames.

Could you report exact frame rates? Just open the info window while playing the trailer. How is fan noise if you leave the trailer to loop for, say, 15-20 min?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 06:12 AM

If anyone wants to see the iMac G5 (iSight) compared to REV A, you can find photos here.

http://homepage.mac.com/tkimberl/PhotoAlbum2.html
Awesome and unique photos! Thanks for sharing.

Timan
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 06:33 AM

Didn't have it playing for 15-20 min, but I tried playing the new King Kong trailer 1080p, with that show movie info window open. (I have a few apps running in the background aswell so these are not 100% results)

On Automatic it played at around 22~ fps.

On Highest it doesn't drop below 24~ fps.

The new iMacs are so silent, I have both of my macs sitting side by side, and played the trailers at the same time. My iMac rev A 20" fan did kick in but not as loud as it could be, and only played the trailer at around 8~12 fps. The new iMac I can't here any difference while playing the music from regular use. I am shocked at the preformance boost between the two. Feels so snappy.
- Tim

chemadmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 08:15 AM

Can you give me as many details as you can about the fan noise, please ?

My boss want to buy new machines in the next few days but is reluctant to buy iMacs because of the rev A noise level and heat problems.

I suspect a wrong-way-switch is not far behind.

As the new iMacs are nowhere to be seen, I have to convince him with whatever you can give me.

So anything you can say about the fan noise (when they run, how loud) and heat level would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Mark Harrill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by gmsmith
I am soooo happy for you . Amazon is still showing December 27th for the 20" iMac I ordered 2 weeks ago

Seriously man, enjoy....
I also ordered my FIRST Mac ever from Amazon. It had said shipping December 27. Three days ago I changed the shipping to UPS 2 Day ($19.99) and it said ships on 11/4. Last night it went into packaging and is supposed to arrive on 11/8. You may want to change your shipping option and see if it moves your ship date...

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 10:53 AM

The new iMacs are so silent, I have both of my macs sitting side by side, and played the trailers at the same time. My iMac rev A 20" fan did kick in but not as loud as it could be, and only played the trailer at around 8~12 fps. The new iMac I can't here any difference while playing the music from regular use. I am shocked at the preformance boost between the two. Feels so snappy.
Timan, thanks for your feedback. Your results for 1080p playback are very promising. I don't see though what would explain the performance difference between 1st and 3rd generation iMacs in this particular test. It is perhaps the new graphics architecture, combined with the 300 MHz CPU clock difference. But certainly, I would not expect it to manage 2 to 3 times more frames per second in 1080p decoding. Good to know.

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Harrill
I also ordered my FIRST Mac ever from Amazon. It had said shipping December 27. Three days ago I changed the shipping to UPS 2 Day ($19.99) and it said ships on 11/4. Last night it went into packaging and is supposed to arrive on 11/8. You may want to change your shipping option and see if it moves your ship date...
It did exactly that....weird.

Mark Harrill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 11:58 AM

It did exactly that....weird.
What did it move your ship date to???

gmsmith
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Harrill
What did it move your ship date to???
November 14...but also now when I look at my order details and click on the iMac, it goes to the JR Music World listing of the iMac, not the Amazon listing...the Amazon listing has a $150 rebate associated with .

Greg

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 02:45 PM

November 14...but also now when I look at my order details and click on the iMac, it goes to the JR Music World listing of the iMac, not the Amazon listing...the Amazon listing has a $150 rebate associated with .

Greg
In order to ensure that you get your Amazon order rapidly and still get the associated rebate, call customer service at 800.201.7575 and request your faster shipping as well as retaining your rebate qualifications. The most efficient call center of many is in Canada (I have found); they have the capability, over the phone, of expediting your shipping (sometimes at NO extra cost depending on your spending history with Amazon)

When the supply channels improve before Xmas, this will be a moot point; but for now.........Where's our IMacs? Huh...Huh.......

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 03:01 PM

Just thought I'd give a heads up:

http://forum.macparts.de/viewtopic.php?t=653

The spanning hack works on the new iMacs, next trick is getting Front Row running on the secondary monitor

SShoot3r
Nov 5, 2005, 03:17 PM

what is the spanning hack?

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 03:26 PM

Well, by default if you connect a second display you can only have mirroring (external display shows the same as the iMac). This hack enables you to have use 2 monitors as one, the desktop "spans" the 2 monitors. Tonnes more functionality.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
Well, by default if you connect a second display you can only have mirroring (external display shows the same as the iMac). This hack enables you to have use 2 monitors as one, the desktop "spans" the 2 monitors. Tonnes more functionality.
There was an earlier revision to this; where is it found now?

Thanks,

I don't want to Google it to death

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

DieselJimmie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Macbear
This is a self serving, make me feel better post. The wait for my 20 inch iMac to ship seems like forever. Oh, I know that "on or before October 31st" means it probably won't ship until the 31st. (odd that, huh?) A little part of me hopes it might ship early. So, please, if anyone has had theirs ship, post here, just to make a waiting geek happy.
I ordered my iMac G5 from a Mac only computer store in Burnaby, B.C. on October 15th. I dropped by the store today (November 5th) and there is still no sign of it. While at the store I bought some Altec Lansing VS4221 speakers for when I eventually do get my new iMac. I think I better stop going to the computer store until my iMac gets here or I'll just spend more money on extras.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 01:10 PM

Didn't have it playing for 15-20 min, but I tried playing the new King Kong trailer 1080p, with that show movie info window open. (I have a few apps running in the background aswell so these are not 100% results)

On Automatic it played at around 22~ fps.

On Highest it doesn't drop below 24~ fps.
Can you try other trailers, or clips from the Quicktime HD gallery? I'd like to see if that's consistent performance, or if it's just that particular trailer which runs as well as it does.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

AshUK
Nov 6, 2005, 01:52 PM

I ordered mine on Friday (because the Apple Store Bull Ring doesn't have them) and I have been given a estimated shipping date of 18th November!!!!
I sold my older rev1 iMac G5 for the new one and I'm so missing it so much, it's gonna be ages till I see that lovely OS again
Windows is killing me......help

caustik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 03:35 PM

Well, I just ordered a 20" imac with 1.5gig ram. Apple.ca is telling me 5-7 days, for delivery to Ontario, Canada. From the posts I am reading here tho it seems like apple needs to update their website as it may be inaccurate. Either way, I can't wait. I am a recent switcher sooo... Hopefully it will get here soon!

On a sidenote, I declined the applecare auto enroll option, does anyone know if they ever change the price either up or down for the applecare option incase I go for it at a later date?

Caustik.

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DieselJimmie
I ordered my iMac G5 from a Mac only computer store in Burnaby, B.C. on October 15th. I dropped by the store today (November 5th) and there is still no sign of it. While at the store I bought some Altec Lansing VS4221 speakers for when I eventually do get my new iMac. I think I better stop going to the computer store until my iMac gets here or I'll just spend more money on extras.
Spanning WORKS! I just downloaded the software and have my home entertainment system set up nicely now. Only problem is that FrontRow only comes up on the iMac screen . . . it's ok for now, since I'm just watching DivX files . . . hopefully they will fix it soon!

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 04:06 PM

Setting the other monitor as primary will move front row over to it. Pain in the ass to do each time though.

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
Setting the other monitor as primary will move front row over to it. Pain in the ass to do each time though.
how do you do that?

JEJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 04:03 AM

Hi, Everyone
My iMac ordered 16th October 'cos I couldn't resist replacing my worthy DVSE summer 2000 which does grunt a bit with Tiger! Comments from those already in possession suggest it was a really good decision... on top of which if I now receive mine in good order I'll know it is a tough one because it obviously will have survived a black hole, shipped Shanghai to U.K. on 29th and now just out there somewhere, expected tomorrow 8th November. Pity you can't send a package satellite broadband virtual delivery! Looks like custom builds and demand may be catching up with Apple but wow! our expectations are high! Thats what good a product does.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee
how do you do that?
Open display preferences and move the menu bar from 1->2

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 09:40 AM

Barefeats mentons that the firewire400 port is not providing enough current. Have any iMac iSight owners experienced issues with their portable bus-powered firewire drives not mounting on their desktop, etc.?

http://www.barefeats.com/im21b.html
( Last edited by BJNY; Nov 7, 2005 at 09:47 AM. )

dazzla
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AshUK
I ordered mine on Friday (because the Apple Store Bull Ring doesn't have them) and I have been given a estimated shipping date of 18th November!!!!
I sold my older rev1 iMac G5 for the new one and I'm so missing it so much, it's gonna be ages till I see that lovely OS again
Windows is killing me......help
Ordered mine on the 31st Oct and I've only got a ship date of "On or before 14th November" Sucks

mindwaves
Nov 7, 2005, 04:35 PM

Just to make everyone here jealous, I picked up my 17'' 1.9GHz iMac yesterday from the Vicotria Gardens Apple Store. They also had the 20'' iMac in stock. Pics to follow in the iMac picture thread!

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
Just to make everyone here jealous, I picked up my 17'' 1.9GHz iMac yesterday from the Vicotria Gardens Apple Store. They also had the 20'' iMac in stock. Pics to follow in the iMac picture thread!
Alright now.....
We expect a full report asap.

Waiting for an iMac to be shipped is worse than waiting to be seated in a good restaurant when you're hungry.

Talon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 09:17 PM

Just received an update from Amazon. I ordered October 25th, free super saver shipping.. Shipping date just moved to November 21-28th. Sooo far away. Anyone who didn't reorder get an earlier date?

springdragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

I Ordered my on 11/06 and shipping on the 17th. I will be finally switching from a PC since now I have the money.
( Last edited by springdragon; Nov 7, 2005 at 09:39 PM. )

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Talon
Just received an update from Amazon. I ordered October 25th, free super saver shipping.. Shipping date just moved to November 21-28th. Sooo far away. Anyone who didn't reorder get an earlier date?

I would suggest you read this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=156163&page=8

and then call Amazon and tell them you are not happy.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 11:58 PM

Can't seem to post a new thread so I'll post in this one...

I've been using Optodisc DVD-R 4x media in my MDD w/Pioneer DVR-105. Using the same media, I tried burning a DVD on my new iMac 20" and it fails. I guess it doesn't like that brand. Anyone else having problems burning DVDs on the new iMac? I'm thinking about getting a spindle of Verbatim, but I'd like to hear what others are using first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules