Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disk Warrior

Disk Warrior
kingjules
Nov 14, 2005, 04:48 AM

Hello,

Is there anyone who uses Disk Warrior?
Is it really worth buying it or can i get along with what is built-in in Mac OSX?

Thanks for your help
Jules
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

clairejr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 08:30 AM

DiskWarrior repairs directory damage that can't be repaired with Disk Utility. I use it whenever my system starts slowing down or acting a little odd (occasional crashes or freezes, for example) - after using DiskWarrior everything works fine again. Sometimes DiskWarrior can repair a drive that isn't even recognized by any other program (including Disk Utility). So, yes, you should buy it - it's worth the money. And the company, Alsoft, gives great support to customers.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 09:50 AM

Great app but they don't take American Express.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2005, 11:38 AM

Do a search! DiskWarrior is merely THE most-recommended Mac disk utility by a very wide margin...

tooki

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

DiskWarrior is the most reputable disk-repair utility for OSX, and indeed it works extremely well. I've had the misfortune to need it several times, but it's worked extremely well every time.

Is it worth buying, per se? That depends on your level of paranoia. Most users will not need it very often, and lucky users won't ever need it at all. But when you do need it, nothing else will do.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

kingjules  (op)
Nov 14, 2005, 05:38 PM

thanks all of you for your answers. i guess that since i am quite paranoid about getting a problem, it's worth spending a bit of money to have my mind rested!

thanks again
Jules
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 11:57 PM

The best time to buy it is *before* you need it. I've only had one situation where Diskwarrior failed to repair a disk (this was a client's heavily abused machine running OS 9) and then DataRescue was able to recover most of the files. The combination of those two apps is all you should need.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2006, 02:57 PM

i would look at disk warrior alternatives. i think alsoft makes a fine product but they screw you when you have to upgrade. i'm having to pay them $20 for upgrading from 3.0 to 3.03, a mere dot dot upgrade, because i got a new computer system and they won't allow you to download it.

that's fine, but making a huge profit off of shipping new CD's (the cost of burning and shipping a CD is NOT $20, sorry) for a mere upgrade for an expensive software to begin with is really annoying.

i think this type of behavior by a company should NOT be rewarded. there are alternatives, i would look at them.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 03:14 PM

i hate paying for cd updates as well, but...

diskwarrior really has no equal for what it does, it is a great app.
and figure when u get a cd update, you're paying for the work that goes on behind it, not just the pressing & shipping....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by zl9600
i would look at disk warrior alternatives. i think alsoft makes a fine product but they screw you when you have to upgrade. i'm having to pay them $20 for upgrading from 3.0 to 3.03, a mere dot dot upgrade, because i got a new computer system and they won't allow you to download it. .
Download the updater:

http://alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html#CD_Update

Burn an updated cd and copy DW 3.0.3 onto your harddisk.

Make a bootable cd from your system using BootCD and remember to include DW 3.0.3.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules