Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why do so many pages not show up in Safari?

Why do so many pages not show up in Safari?
kevs
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 10:20 PM

Why do so many pages not show up in Safari? And yet those same pages show up fine in Firefox?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 10:59 PM

Like?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Like?
about:mozilla

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 11:15 PM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 11:45 PM

Yeah, need examples.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2005, 08:27 AM

So many he can't think of any to list?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 02:52 PM

Ah, kevs. Your streak continues.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 11, 2005, 04:24 PM

Yep. I've encountered very few pages that fail in Safari that don't also fail in Firefox. Mostly stuff coded stupidly towards IE:win.

tooki

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 05:20 PM

List them here so I can report them, or report them yourself.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 08:11 PM

No, I report them, I didn't post this to list specific pages or get goofy comments, I just thought maybe someone had something insightful to say, sorry, i'll post this on Safari forum later.

WATARU: Send me me your e mail/paypal address. We have to negotiate a fee to keep your comments off my threads. JUst kidding. It's amazing, on every major forum, it seems there is some "know it all" who seem to spend more time critiquing threads,than offering anything good.

But really, stay away .

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 08:16 PM

We should negotiate payment to get someone to beat you with a clue stick. Have a problem? Give details. "Why doesn't x work?" doesn't help. If this weren't a habitual thing for you, I'd think you were a troll.

It's not just me. Everyone else in the thread also said you needed to provide details. It's just that I seem to be the only one that recognizes that utter vaguery is a 100% predictable pattern for you.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 08:39 PM

To the great Wataru: stay away.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I didn't post this to list specific pages.
Then why did you post this? We can't tell why Safari isn't displaying the sites you visit, if we don't know which sites you are talking about.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Nov 11, 2005 at 09:28 PM. )

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2005, 08:52 PM

www.gap.com doesn't work for us on Safari.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
www.gap.com doesn't work for us on Safari.
kevs said the pages "don't show up" in Safari, whatever that means. Gap.com is actively sniffing browsers and showing an alternate page. That's not really the same thing, at least as far as we can tell from kevs non-description.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 09:41 PM

Can someone sum up what kevs is saying here? For some reason, his posts are not showing up for me. Dang that Safari!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2005, 11:13 PM

What tooki said. Bad web authors using bad assumptions and avoiding compliance with basic standards means that some (very bad) web pages won't load correctly, and sometimes won't even try to load.

<rant>The Web is supposed to be 100% platform neutral, but since Microsoft decided that HTML wasn't good enough and made FrontPage add all sorts of non-standard crap to the code it generates, and then made FrontPage seem so "user friendly," noncompliant web pages seem to be more common than ever before. What's the old joke: "How many Microsoft software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? None: they just redefine the standard to 'dark.'"</rant>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2005, 01:37 AM

The Gap website is a crappy, half-assed redesign that seems to purposely lock out Safari users. It's currently a bit of a laughingstock in the web design world.

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 01:20 PM

No, I report them, I didn't post this to list specific pages or get goofy comments, I just thought maybe someone had something insightful to say, sorry, i'll post this on Safari forum later.
translation: i am posting for the hell of it, i'm not sure but it's likely i don't know what i'm talking about.
i look in your general direction

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 07:42 PM

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 11:00 PM

It is pretty well known that Firefox does a better job with showing web pages. There is even a current article about in one of the Mac magazines. I was just wondering if someone in the know could flesh that out. GH porter seems to have come the closest to answering the question. Still curious what Apple team at Safari may be doing to close the gap.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 12:20 AM

It is pretty well known that Firefox does a better job with showing web pages. There is even a current article about in one of the Mac magazines. I was just wondering if someone in the know could flesh that out. GH porter seems to have come the closest to answering the question. Still curious what Apple team at Safari may be doing to close the gap.
Ah, so this was just a pro-Firefox fanboy post.

Nevermind folks. Move along

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2005, 10:15 AM

Actually there are a few sites that Firefox doesn't do at all, and a bunch it doesn't render the way IE does. These situations are most likely due to the way the sites are coded, not the way the Gecko engine renders standard HTML.

What Apple should do is stick to a Safari implementation that conforms to standards. What Microsoft should do is stop "redefining" stuff like Java and HTML for their own purposes. Apple is doing the right thing, but I don't think we can expect Microsoft to do the same any time soon. In the meantime, provide feedback to the companies that own the web sites that don't work, NOT the web support folks, who may have actually written those sites themselves. If the suits know that potential customers are being turned off by bad web practices, something might get done.

And Kevin, I like Firefox a lot, but I'm certainly not a fanboy. I do however like to use technology that works, and so far, I've had more problems with Safari than Firefox.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 10:25 AM

For the love of...STFU or give us a list of sites that render in Firefox but don't in Safari.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2005, 11:20 AM

Sometimes, I wonder why I don't bother posting here much anymore. Then I read threads like this one and there's more than a handful of reminders.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2005, 11:42 AM

try this one in Safari and Firefox:

http://www.webstandards.org/act/acid2/test.html#top
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules