Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For those of you who like Sigur Rós

For those of you who like Sigur Rós
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 01:15 PM

Just thought I'd point you to this

Great show.

That's it.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 01:22 PM

Pfft, downloaded the video less than an hour after Bjössi put it on BT

Were you there? You lucky bastard. Best concert of the whole tour, despite the whole deal with the low stage in Laugardalshöllin.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Pfft, downloaded the video less than an hour after Bjössi put it on BT

Were you there? You lucky bastard. Best concert of the whole tour, despite the whole deal with the low stage in Laugardalshöllin.
Unfortunately I wasn't there

Damn work.

But from the comments from both the people who went there and from the band itself this was their best concert so far.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
But from the comments from both the people who went there and from the band itself this was their best concert so far.
I know!

But I shouldn't complain: went to both the Copenhagen gig in August and the Gothenburg gig in November, and had an amazing time at both gigs (and an amazing vegan lasagna at the Copenhagen gig). But dammit, I want more!

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they get the Laugardalshöllin gig out on that DVD sooner rather than later.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 02:43 PM

I was going to the concert, and called a friend last week to see if he would like to join us. He said "No way, I can't stand Sigur Rós, their music is so damn slow and annoying, I usually have a hard time not falling asleep when I hear them play".
The next day he called back to tell me that he had been asked to play with them at the concert, which of course he did. I could almost hear him blushing on the phone.
( Last edited by Hugi; Dec 9, 2005 at 04:03 PM. )

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2005, 03:35 PM

Caught the show in Stockholm and it was amazing.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 03:54 PM

I saw them in chicago... it was obviously great.

I am seeing them again in Indianapolis in Febuary.

Can't wait.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
I was going to the concert, and called a friend last week to see if he would like to join us. He said "No way, I can't stand Sigur Rós, their music is so damn slow and annoying, I usually have a hard time not falling asleep when I hear them play".
The next day he called back to tell me that he had been asked to play with them at the concert, which of course he did. I could almost hear him blushing on the phone.
Haha, that's brilliant! Is he one of the marching band people? (Well, he'd have to be, pretty much)

And anyone who thinks the climaxes of Glósóli, Popplagið, or Hafssól live are 'slow' needs to take some sedatives!

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 05:36 PM

Haha, that's brilliant! Is he one of the marching band people? (Well, he'd have to be, pretty much)

And anyone who thinks the climaxes of Glósóli, Popplagið, or Hafssól live are 'slow' needs to take some sedatives!
Yes, he plays the trumpet. Apparently, they change that part of the band in each location they play.
And yes, I think some sedatives would be in order.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 05:52 PM

Would anyone happen to have a tour list for these guys? I really want to see them live. (I live in the states)

EDIT: oh duh, nevermind, the first post had a link. bummer they aren't coming anywhere near where i live.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
Yes, he plays the trumpet. Apparently, they change that part of the band in each location they play.
Not really—they've just only played with a brass band twice: on Jools Holland last month, and in Laugardalshöllin last week. Usually, it's only the band and Amina on stage.

Maroma: You're a bit late! They just finished a US tour a little over a month ago. They're going back in spring, though. You can find a tour list here for that tour, but it's sort of an odd itinerary, 'cause it's mostly places they didn't manage to go to last time around. Lots of gigs in the Midwest and such.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 06:10 PM

*kicks thread in attempt to make last two replies show up in thread list*

Edit: Successfully, too. Yes! All it takes is a bit of violence.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2005, 06:19 PM

Maroma: You're a bit late! They just finished a US tour a little over a month ago. They're going back in spring, though. You can find a tour list here for that tour, but it's sort of an odd itinerary, 'cause it's mostly places they didn't manage to go to last time around. Lots of gigs in the Midwest and such.
Yeah I just noticed that.

I live in the Northwest and I bet they came through here when I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, maybe I'll catch them next time around.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 06:52 PM

Where is the H.264 format/QuickTime? All I see is WiMP and Real?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 12:40 AM

Sigur Rós makes me fall asleep live.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 01:31 AM

Love their work, except sometimes it gets a bit repetitive; at least 5 of their songs are just the made up words "usaylo" repeated over and over.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 02:06 AM

Wow, the song at around 47 minutes in is really amazing. Anyone know what this is?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Where is the H.264 format/QuickTime? All I see is WiMP and Real?
They don't have any other formats available yet, unfortunately.

Wow, the song at around 47 minutes in is really amazing. Anyone know what this is?
The uptempo one that starts at around 47 minutes? That's Hoppípolla (and Með Blóðnasir, they're kind of one song), number three and four on Takk..., respectively. Hoppípolla is the new single as well, and the one they played on Jools Holland.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2005, 03:06 PM

This thread is stubbornly refusing to accept new replies. Cut it out already, thread! *kicks thread again*

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the link, a friend and I were talking about seeing this great band live last night.

I would hope they come out with a DVD soon, or someway to let me download this.

dit: I have all the Sigur Ros albums *except for Vos. I just wish I could get a better grasp on these guys. I listen to the whole album through all the time so I am still pretty n00b on the same names and the different tracks but even if I knew what the name was.......I wouldn't be able to pronounce it.

But I really really like this group.
( Last edited by Daracle; Dec 10, 2005 at 05:20 PM. )
Who reads this???

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 05:19 PM

Delete.
Who reads this???

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 05:33 PM

What about the name of the song that starts playing at around 1:35:00? This thing is so... psychedelic.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the link. I watched most of it while at work. I really like their sound.
I had never heard of them before. Are they singing in Icelandic?

What would you afficionados recommend to buy to introduce myself to their music?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Thanks for the link. I watched most of it while at work. I really like their sound.

What would you afficionados recommend to buy to introduce myself to their music?
You can actually introduce yourself to it for free on their website here. While it's not all of their songs, it's more than enough to give you a taste.

von Wrangell  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy

They sing both in Icelandic and then a made up language they call hopelandish.

Check out the link itistoday posted. A lot of songs there for you to grab.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 09:59 AM

Has anyone seen the video to Vidrar Vel Til Loftárása? Wow, bet that one never made it to MTV...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 12:57 PM

How can I download this concert from that site?
Who reads this???

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Has anyone seen the video to Vidrar Vel Til Loftárása? Wow, bet that one never made it to MTV...
Yeah, it's way too long.

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Daracle
I would hope they come out with a DVD soon, or someway to let me download this.
You can download a 300 MB (unfortunately WMV) version of the concert via BitTorrent from Darren Webb's homepage (heaps of other stuff there, as well). That's the best version currently available, and the only one available for download.

It was played a few times on MTV, yes. It's a very nice video, but I don't really think it fits the song (something I think is true for all their videos, actually).

What about the name of the song that starts playing at around 1:35:00? This thing is so... psychedelic.
Psychedelic? Sounds like it might be Hafssól.

Yup, the video confirms this, that's Hafssól. It's on Von, but in a somewhat different version: the version on Von is almost 13 minutes of ambient, rhythmless, flowing odd sounds with choirish hymnlike hummings. The live version is indeed completely psychedelic. You can't really see it in the video, but the 'doon-doodloo-doon-doon' sound that the song starts with is Georg (the bassist) playing the bass with a drumstick.

The psychedelic version of Hafssól has just been released in studio recording form as a B-side on the Hoppípolla single.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Yeah, it's way too long.

It's about three minutes shorter than the original version.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 01:34 PM

It's about three minutes shorter than the original version.
Still too long

I was joking, though; it's the content that MTV might shy away from. They wouldn't even air that new White Stripes video because of some raciness.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Still too long
Pfft, quite the contrary! Not nearly long enough.

I was joking, though; it's the content that MTV might shy away from.
American MTV, perhaps. I saw it on MTV here one of the few times they aired it—the reason they didn't air it more here was indeed the length of the video, rather than the content. MTV Nordic (back when there was such a thing) were never really scared of showing a video, just because it happened to have a kiss between two boys in it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules