Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Check out my game - Ninjaman! 2d action platformer, coming NYE!

Check out my game - Ninjaman! 2d action platformer, coming NYE!
Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hey all! Big news. Myself and two other guys have spent the year slaving away making a (relatively) large game, on the basis of our final year university project. Currently at 99% complete, we're shooting for a New Years Eve launch, but till then, today is our announcement day

Two years ago, Ninjaman witnessed the surprise annihilation of his clan. Fuelled by the passion of revenge, Ninjaman sets out on a quest to rid his world of Dark Ninja's minions.

Take charge as Ninjaman, as you seek vengence upon the all evil Dark Ninja. From tropical costal beaches, to dark and unpredictable forests, travel performing a vast range of attacks on your foes; the windmill, the sacrifice, and the awe-inspiring ballista just to name a few. With many different enemy types, puzzles, and loads of action, you'll be captivated!

OK enough marketing speak. So Ninjaman is a 2d side scrolling action game, in which you run around, cut up enemies, and try and stay alive. Here are some pics to illustrate that:

Jumping overhead:

Ninjaman shoving some enemies around:

Ninjamans awesome powerslash move:

http://www.ninja-man.com

On the site, we've also got a teaser video up, which you should definitely check out! Under the media section.

At our recent uni showcase night, we had ninjaman set up on a few macs with playstation pads connected, running like an E3 booth. Was awesome, got a good response. We even hijacked the projector for part of the show, haha.

For those curious, its all coded in flash (I'm the programmer of the group), characters animated in flash (we have a tops animator), and levels mapped out in our custom level editor. All the coding was done on a mac, so mac performance was paramount from day 1. With our final version, anyone on a >1ghz G4 should be fine. G5's should be buttery, but not necessary

So, drop by over the next few days, we go for the big launch in just over a week. Pass it on to your mates (cough as I start the hype train a bit), and I look forward to getting it out to you all

Cheers all.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 21, 2005, 12:08 PM

Looks neat, but teh blades of grass when you hit people with a sword is pretty weak. Can you make that red?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 12:14 PM

Looks cool. Why did you go with 'green' blood?

Yose
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 01:26 PM

They're obviously vulcan.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

andi*pandi
Dec 21, 2005, 01:55 PM

looks really cool! great job!

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 01:59 PM

Is he a bearded ninja?

Oh, wait, only one other NN'er will get that.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 02:15 PM

That looks like fun. I'll be checkin it out for sure.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 08:47 PM

Watch out for Ninjaman!

Hornet  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 10:04 PM

Cheers all

re: green blood. Enemies bleed green blood, Ninjaman bleeds red blood. We didn't want to imply the enemies were as human as Ninjaman. It also makes it easier to pick out whose getting hurt in a large fight

Cubeoid: hahaha! Yeah, we should do a Ninjaman gangster edition, M60s all the way.

Glad you guys like the look of it, cant wait to get you all to play it

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 10:28 PM

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 10:43 PM

Heh.. nice find CO.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Phil Sherry
Is he a bearded ninja?

Oh, wait, only one other NN'er will get that.
<-- clickety click, Mr. Sherry.

Hornet, the game looks mint
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Hornet  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 07:29 AM

Long time no see

Our game is finally out and making the rounds! Just went up today. We got a journal post on Ars as well about it, pretty stoked about that!

Anyhow, bring on the game

www.ninja-man.com

Hope you all enjoy it. Today we are releasing the standard (25fps) version, later in the week we'll release the higher end (50fps) version, for buttery smoothness on high end machines. For now, any quick G4 and any G5 should be fine for the standard version. Tell me how you find the game

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 12:54 PM

Visually, it's a beautiful game. I liked the game play. You should post it up to NG get a lot of love and feedback.

http://newgrounds.com/

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 01:57 PM

I was having fun until i ran into a bug that stopped the game... was climbing down a vine and i started slowly sliding away from it to the left, and kept going until i hit a tree and stopped. none of the controls work and the music stopped. Can't do anything now. Screenshot below. Other than this, very fun little game.

"I start fires!"

bwahahax
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 03:36 PM

That was a lot of fun! It's rare that a home-brewed flash game will entertain me so, and keep me playing until the end. Good job!!!

Hornet  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 10:08 AM

MaxPower, hopefully we've taken care of that bug for you, we've had a few reports of it

Thanks for the comments guys. And yeah, we totally want to post it on newgrounds soon.

Today we put up our 50fps version of it for higher end machines - really only recommended for hot G5s - runs poorly on my 1.67 powerbook. Flash on mac isn't all that great (I've spent a year making this game on it, I know the feeling lol). Anyhow if you have a hot rig go for it, else go the 25fps version

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 10:28 AM

Tried both versions and it ran fine.
( Last edited by Ratm; Jan 9, 2006 at 10:54 AM. )

DarwinX
Jan 9, 2006, 10:39 AM

This is sweet. Great work.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 05:38 PM

I love the game! Its very fun to play while I'm at work.

Question though, there are only 2 levels?

Hornet  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2006, 08:17 AM

Cheers guys. We only totally finished two of the maps, others were ranging in stages of completness, but we didn't want to include the incomplete ones.

Just to let you all know, based on the feedback we've gathered, we've made a few tweaks to Ninjaman - namely its far more hack'n'slash with Ninjaman doing way more damage, and enemies gibbing like flies - at least more so A new game balance, hopefully more fun too. Go check it out on our page - www.ninja-man.com

Also, we submitted it to newgrounds, where presently it sits with 35,000 plays in 20 hours! We got pick of the day, and hopefully can march on further over there. So we're really quite stoked about all that, woot!

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Its only onwards from here...

Forum Links
Forum Rules