Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > how do you test pages on older safari versions ?

how do you test pages on older safari versions ?
loren s
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 01:05 AM

I keep running into issues that safari 10.4.4 renders great along with firefox but in safari on 10.3.9 or whatever it renders od broken or not at all.. I am not useing hacks that I know of just good ol code, but I keep getting people telling me stuff is broken..

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2006, 04:04 AM

Find a friend with 10.3.9?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Find a friend with 10.3.9?
what every single time I make an edit ???

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 06:21 PM

You probably have install discs for 10.3.9 right? You could install it on a separate partition or a disc image and use an emulator/virtual machine to get it booted and review the pages. That's a good option or boot on old computer into 10.3.9 and then use VNC or RemoteDesktop to view it from your workstation.

There is code from Mac-On-Linux that was ported to OSX that can run another virtual session of OSX. This may be your best bet, but needs some configuration. Here's a link to their download at MacUpdate.com

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18518

Hope that helps!

On a related note, if you want to check older browsers from OS9 and earlier check out the following: BasiliskII is a great emulator, and there is another called Sheepshaver that seems to do quite well too and these projects recently merged. But these only run up to OS9. They do so really well and *should* be able to let you run OS9 on intel machines (if someone has tried and it works, please chime in!!!)

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 11:09 PM

*shudder* *os9* egh scarey dont want to have to worry about os9 by this time...

Is it webkit ? I already installed 10.4.4 on all of my macs, ugh web design sucks money &&*()**^$

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 05:43 AM

Partition your drive and install different versions of OS X on it. Easy.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by loren s
*shudder* *os9* egh scarey dont want to have to worry about os9 by this time...

Is it webkit ? I already installed 10.4.4 on all of my macs, ugh web design sucks money &&*()**^$
Agreed you don't really want to be supporting all legacy systems, but the Mac-on-Mac software link I posted above can boot OSX, you can have 10.3.9 on another location to boot and run whatever you need within that environment.

Its just capable of booting older systems too. For anything older, BasiliskII works and then vMac for preinternet days of system 6 and earlier. Its really amazing to see the progress of the OS from those earlier days.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 03:28 PM

Mac-onMac does not work with Tiger, either running or being run from. It even says that very clearly on the page.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
Mac-onMac does not work with Tiger, either running or being run from. It even says that very clearly on the page.
Shoot, I guess I hadn't looked closely at it since Tiger (of course I have a bunch of older hardware running 10.3.9 and earlier). Shucks, I hope they're able to get it running. That kind of virtualization is great for software testing and the like.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 02:04 PM

And the Multi-Safari hack does not completely work on Tiger either. Before coming to Tiger, I built myself a standalone of Safari 1.3.1 to bring with me, but alas it does not work (it uses the System webKit rather than its local webKit). My Safari 1.0.3 standalone still works under Tiger, but Apple changed something and Safari standalones created on Panther don't work on Tiger. The guy who discovered the multi-safari trick could not even figure it out. Eventually he gave up on trying to get a Safari build from Panther to run on Tiger.

So I've got both Safari 1.0.3 and the latest Safari 2.x running on Tiger, but unfortunately cannot get 1.3.1 to run.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules