Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Introducing BitSticks, Public-Beta

Introducing BitSticks, Public-Beta
Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 04:36 PM

The first in a new range of VanillaSoap Design widgets - BitSticks is the amazing stand-alone BitTorrent client widget for Mac OS X Tiger's new feature: Dashboard.

Independent
With BitSticks, there's absolutely no need to run another BitTorrent client for it to work. It's its own mini-application.

Free
The Public-Beta is free. The final release will be free. Updates will be free. Of course donations are good karma.

Your Feedback
As with any Public-Beta, we really appreciate your comments and concerns - so be sure to hit our emails with them.

Known Issues
• When the torrent is restarted, it takes up as much CPU as possible whilst checking the existing file (that's just a BT thing, not our doing).
• Under certain circumstances the widget or python will take up 100% CPU forever. Something's obviously gone wrong, so if it continues, it's advisable to have Activity Monitor open so either of these processes can be killed.
• There may be some layout issues.
• Custom save destination yet to be implemented, at the moment all files are downloaded to ~/Documents/
• Hiding of sticks yet to be implemented.
• Custom scrollbar for the back yet to be implemented.
• Under certain settings, BitSticks may not increase the widget's size and the controls will not appear.

If you experience any further troubles or have any advice/suggestions for fixes, be sure to email Chris (check our About page).

Last Updated: 15th August, PB2.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 06:22 AM

very promising!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 08:28 AM

Very cool!

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 08:58 AM

Looks like this could be the one I've been looking for!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2005, 10:09 AM

Looks cool! I will see how well it does compared to Azureus. I'd love to ditch that Java client, but it downloads files so much faster than the other apps I've tried.

And may I also say that your widget and icon both look very nice! I hate ugly widgets.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 10:23 AM

works well, but how do you close a window, and what's the middle icon for?

Chris O'Brien  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by threestain
works well, but how do you close a window, and what's the middle icon for?
Once a torrent is running, an X button will appear on the right of the stick (you can see it in the initial screenshot - it also turns red once the torrent finishes and starts seeding).

The middle handle is for dragging so you can change the spacing between sticks.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2005, 10:57 AM

It's a very good start, but I'm still back to Azureus, since the download speed needs some work.

I tried out BitSticks for about ten minutes and was downloading a torrent at about 4 KB/sec. Then I tried downloading the same torrent in Azureus. Azureus is currently downloading the file at 130 KB/sec.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 11:13 AM

The download speed on mine is absolutely fine. Maybe some seeds started after you changed? Or is it consistent behaviour?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2005, 10:28 PM

Perhaps you and I have different network/router set-ups. I left BitSticks running for a while and averaged 2 KB/sec, never exceeding 4 KB/sec. Then I turned it off, opened the same torrent in Azureus, and was almost immediately getting 130 KB/sec.

I experience exactly the same thing with other Bit-torrent clients, like Bits-on-Wheels. They only get a fraction of the speed that Azureus gets. My guess is that Azureus is better at negotiating connections across firewalls and routers, but I don't really know.

That said, BitSticks shows promise, and if they improve its performance to be as good as Azureus, I'll switch.

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 05:28 AM

I have to admit I was getting good download speeds in bitsticks, but when I switched the files back to azureus they flew along - azureus is indeed faster, though bitsticks is nice and low in system load

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 02:46 AM

Is BitSticks still under development?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 03:09 AM

I wish there were more Mac bit torrent clients
we don't have time to stop for gas

siMac
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
My guess is that Azureus is better at negotiating connections across firewalls and routers, but I don't really know.
Azureus has UPnP functions, if you have a UPnP compatible router Azureus will open the required ports automagically. 9 times out of ten this is the reason people see better performance with Azureus.

Personally I don't use it because, while it has some nice functions, it's a 900lb Java gorilla that sets my iMac G5's fans running just by being open. I prefer a lightweight BT client and a properly configured router. For the moment I use Transmission, I tried BitSticks briefly but I don't like having it on the dashboard, but that's just personal preference.

I wish μTorrent was available for OSX...
( Last edited by siMac; May 30, 2006 at 07:35 AM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by siMac

I wish μTorrent was available for OSX...
same there arent any really powerful light clients for OS X.
we don't have time to stop for gas

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 06:33 AM

Sweet!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris O'Brien
http://www.vanillasoap.com/images/widgets/bitsticks_pb_forum.png

The first in a new range of VanillaSoap Design widgets - BitSticks is the amazing stand-alone BitTorrent client widget for Mac OS X Tiger's new feature: Dashboard.

Independent
With BitSticks, there's absolutely no need to run another BitTorrent client for it to work. It's its own mini-application.

Free
The Public-Beta is free. The final release will be free. Updates will be free. Of course donations are good karma.

Your Feedback
As with any Public-Beta, we really appreciate your comments and concerns - so be sure to hit our emails with them.

Known Issues
• When the torrent is restarted, it takes up as much CPU as possible whilst checking the existing file (that's just a BT thing, not our doing).
• Under certain circumstances the widget or python will take up 100% CPU forever. Something's obviously gone wrong, so if it continues, it's advisable to have Activity Monitor open so either of these processes can be killed.
• There may be some layout issues.
• Custom save destination yet to be implemented, at the moment all files are downloaded to ~/Documents/
• Hiding of sticks yet to be implemented.
• Custom scrollbar for the back yet to be implemented.
• Under certain settings, BitSticks may not increase the widget's size and the controls will not appear.

If you experience any further troubles or have any advice/suggestions for fixes, be sure to email Chris (check our About page).

Last Updated: 15th August, PB2.

so...

Is BitSticks still under development?

latest version seems to be 0.1.9?

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 03:43 PM

I'll just give the developer a kick, hold on...

Forum Links
Forum Rules