Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bill Graham's Memorabilia Collection Rocks!

Bill Graham's Memorabilia Collection Rocks!
aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 10:59 AM

A Memorabilia Collection That Rocks

Feb. 19, 2006

(CBS) It sounds more like something from the old West than modern day San Francisco.

It was dusty. It was musty. It didn't smell real good.

This is a true story about buried treasure. Deep in the basement of a non-descript warehouse, down a maze of back alleys, Bill Sagan discovered what amounts to a goldmine.

"It was 25 feet high in height, below ground. Part of it was below ground," said Sagan. "And there were, I thought, hundreds of thousands of items that were in there. And truly there were millions of items."

It was a rock-n-roll treasure trove--millions of original photographs, posters, documents and much more of forgotten artifacts from an unforgettable musical era.

"We've been told that there exists no other trove of rock-n-roll history that is anywhere near the size of this anywhere else," said Sagan.

To explain where this lost treasure came from we have to travel back more than 40 years to a time when San Francisco was at the vanguard of the rock-and-roll revolution. And leading the charge was one man, Bill Graham.

From the first concert he staged at San Francisco's legendary Fillmore auditorium in 1966, Bill Graham became one of the most influential figures in music history. Many say he literally invented the concept of the modern rock concert.

"Bill Graham did something that very few people do," said Sagan. "He started an industry. Live performance music in music halls. Rock-and-roll. He broke these bands. If Bill Graham hadn't been there, would Janis Joplin have been as big?"

In 1969, Joplin herself certainly appreciated him. In a 60 Minutes interview, Joplin said: "Graham really understands musicians, and that's really important to musicians. Most promoters don't care anything except 'two 45-minute sets, $6,500 dollars.' They refuse to relate in any other terms."

From 1966 to 1991, Graham's company, Bill Graham Presents, put on more than 20,000 concerts worldwide. Everyone who was anyone played for him--Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Santana, U-2. You name it. The list goes on forever.

And for nearly 30 years Graham saved everything he could get his hands on from every concert he ever put on.

"Bill Graham was a pack rat," said Sagan. "I think Bill Graham just put everything down in that storage area and was going to keep it forever."

For Graham, forever didn't last long. In 1991, on his way back from a concert, he was killed in a helicopter crash. While his memory lived on, memory of his archive began to fade. Over the next decade, ownership of Graham's company changed hands several times. But no one took the time to sift through all that "junk" in the basement, until 2003, when the latest owners decided to sell yet again, and Bill Sagan bought it all.

He said: "And one day -- I believe it was 25, forty-foot trucks -- truckloads took the product from their building over to our building."

Sagan and his staff kept their find a secret while they catalogued every item from what they now called Wolfgang's Vault. Wolfgang Grajonca was Bill Graham's given name. Now they've opened it up to the world and put most of it up for sale on their website, wolfgangsvault.com.

First there are the photographs. "I thought there was maybe a half million to a million slides and negatives," said Sagan. "As it turned out, there's probably is closer to a million and a half to two million slides and negatives."

There are posters by the thousands, the psychedelic artwork that went up weekly in San Francisco in the 60's. "We have more than 500 posters that are so rare that their retail price would be in excess of $15,000," Sagan estimated. "There were drawers full of tickets from decades of concerts."

Graham seems to have kept every contract he ever signed. But he had one more big surprise in store, and only after he bought the collection and started going through boxes did Sagan discover what may be the most valuable asset.

"There are nearly 7,000 tapes of 7,000 different performances,' said Sagan. "And the reason I say nearly is because we haven't counted them all and we haven't looked at them all."

Graham didn't just save memorabilia from the concerts, he saved the concerts themselves -- rare, high quality recordings of legendary concerts that haven't been seen or heard, in some cases, for 40 years.

Just to give you an idea of what Sagan discovered: The Who's last performance of their rock opera, "Tommy," before drummer Keith Moon died at age 26, and the last concert ever from the British punk-rock pioneers The Sex Pistols.

Bill Graham's cameras had captured most of all the big names through three decades of rock. The Allman Brothers, Chicago, Lenard Skynard, Peter Frampton, Bob Marley.

And more concerts were discovered on audio tapes. On the wolfgangsvault web site, fans can now listen to previously unreleased versions of some of their favorite songs.

"It's tough to do your job because it's so tempting to go down and just listen to audio or go look at video," said Sagan about opening up all the boxes. "I could spend all day doing it every day."

So remember the part about this being a goldmine? We weren't kidding. Sagan reportedly paid $5 to $6 million dollar for all that stuff.

"In my opinion it's worth a significant amount more," said Sagan. "It certainly is in excess of $50 million. It's probably in excess of $100 million."

Sagan grew wealthy running a couple of healthcare and insurance companies. Now he sees himself as part businessman, part guardian of a legacy. He says he'll never sell many of the rarest, most valuable pieces, like Bill Graham's personal poster collection. "It's not for sale. It won't be for sale."

But most of the rest is up for sale, and Sagan has identified his market: people much like him, members of a nostalgic generation who have some money to spend on memories.

"Thank god for Baby Boomers who want to relive that good part of what they remember of their youth. And thank god for good music."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1330440.shtml

And much of it is for sale here.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/?aid=34533

In the section marked, "VAULT RADIO" they play music from Bill Graham produced concerts.

Right now I'm listening to a live recording of CSN&Y "Long Time Gone" at the Fillmore East
from 06/051970.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 9, 2006, 11:37 AM

Holy ****ing shitballs. That guy got an incredible deal. The recordings alone are worth WAY over 5 mil.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dopetrackalistic
Holy ****ing shitballs. That guy got an incredible deal. The recordings alone are worth WAY over 5 mil.
Yup!

Currently listening to:
Jimi Hendrix
Spanish Castle Magic
Live at Winterland
10/10/1968

On Vault Radio

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 12:59 PM

Unbelievable.

I would love to see some of that stuff

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 01:00 PM

Ya know, it's kind of sad he's planning on auctioning it all off. This would make one incredible museum of rock and roll history.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1
Ya know, it's kind of sad he's planning on auctioning it all off. This would make one incredible museum of rock and roll history.
Not all, but most.
He wants to get his money back, times about 10.

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 02:05 PM

Yea, I wish someone else who wasn't concerned about making a profit or didn't have to make a profit was in control of it though. Or if it had been left in a will or something.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1
Yea, I wish someone else who wasn't concerned about making a profit or didn't have to make a profit was in control of it though. Or if it had been left in a will or something.
He says he'll never sell many of the rarest, most valuable pieces, like Bill Graham's personal poster collection. "It's not for sale. It won't be for sale."

But most of the rest is up for sale, and Sagan has identified his market: people much like him, members of a nostalgic generation who have some money to spend on memories.
Bill Graham collected all this stuff for a reason. You know the rock empresario Graham was going to market the stuff had he lived!

And you CAN see the stuff, some of it, anyway.

Use this link to access much of the collection.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/catalo...gArtistID=7413

You can spend hours looking at it all.

And don't miss out on listening to the live performances on VAULT RADIO while rummaging through the collection of memorabilia!

NOW PLAYING:

The Beach Boys
Good Vibrations
Fillmore East
04/27/1971

Did you know the Beach Boys played on stage with The Grateful Dead in concert?

Yup. It was on the 3rd night of the Dead's five night finale.
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Jul 10, 2006 at 05:17 PM. )

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 03:11 PM

DESCRIPTION
The January benefit was Bill Graham's third and last for the Mime Troupe and marked the parting of the ways between Graham and Ronny Davis, the founder of San Francisco Mime Troupe. Davis wanted to concentrate on the group's anti-establishment creative output and Graham, already at odds with the Troupe's politics, foresaw a future in producing concerts. In this confrontation between political activism and entrepreneurship, Graham's business sense won, and he stepped out to develop a new industry worthy of future B-school analyses. The line-up included Grace Slick, still a member of the Great Society, the Grateful Dead nee The Warlocks, Sam Thomas and the Gentleman's Band and the Mystery Trend, a group of visual artists, many of whom appeared at the second Benefit a month earlier.

Performers: Great Society
The Mystery Trend
The Grateful Dead
and 1 other
Tour/Show: Benefit for SF Mime Troupe
Venue: Fillmore Auditorium (San Francisco, CA)
Size: 14" x 20"
Date: Jan 14, 1966
Price: Bid

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 04:18 PM

wow. holy ****. dude. ****in' hell. argh. [etc.]

What a treasure.

What sadness that he'll sell so much of it.

I hope he'll market the tapes, though - of course, ideally, they should go up on archive.org for free, but that's not realistic.

And for a second, I thought this thread was going to be about Billy Graham's memorabilia collection. Like, a Christian fundamentalist being a closet rock-'n'-roll collector...I chuckled.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 04:34 PM

I thought this was Billy Grahmn at first... and I was like... wait rock and roll?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 04:38 PM

Ditto

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 05:10 PM

Having grown up with knowledge of Bill Graham and having lived in the Bay Area where his name was synonymous with rock music performing in SF and NYC I just thought anyone who was into music would know the name. I'm sorry I wasn't able to better understand the truth before I wrote the thread title.

Performers: Nirvana
Tour/Show: In Utero
Venue: Sporthalle (Cologne, Germany)
Size: 23 3/8" x 33"
Date: Mar 14, 1994
Price: $551

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Catalog.aspx?VenueID=KOH

Here's one poster for a concert you may have even attended in Germany, analogika!

Click the link to see the other two posters/groups/concerts.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 05:23 PM

Performers: The Rolling Stones
J. Geils Band
George Thorogood
Tour/Show: Tattoo You
Venue: Candlestick Park (San Francisco, CA)
Size: 3 3/4" x 3 3/4"
Date: Oct 18, 1981
Price: $60

Backstage Pass

Yose
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 06:01 PM

More than enought to create an awesome museum.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

ShortSkirts68
Banned
Jul 10, 2006, 06:32 PM

I'm so buying some of this **** to hang on my walls. Santana or Hendrix? hrm...

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ShortSkirts68
I'm so buying some of this **** to hang on my walls. Santana or Hendrix? hrm...
And the thing that gets me is that it's not lithographs of the originals or copies of the originals...

IT'S THE ORIGINALS!!!!

This photo is a 1st printing. What a deal! Look at the size and it's in color and when/where have you seen this photo of Morrison?

No where else.

Performers: Jim Morrison
The Doors
Size: 20" x 24"
Date: 1967
Price: $83

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 02:07 AM

This is a booklet-style program.

Performers: Sammy Davis Jr.
Liza Minnelli
Frank Sinatra
Tour/Show: The Ultimate Event!
Venue: Blaisdell Arena (Honolulu, HI)
Artist: Harry Langdon
Size: 9" x 12"
Date: Mar 7, 1989
Price: $45

Forum Links
Forum Rules