Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered aa 24"iMac: Now I'm panicking!

Ordered aa 24"iMac: Now I'm panicking!
sfieldhouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 03:34 PM

Maybe its the "help i've just parted with £x have I done the right thing" syndrome, but I'm suddeny all nervous about my purchase

The spec I've ordered is 2.16ghz, 2 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, and the standerd 128MB graphics.

I'm worried that the grapiphics won't be powerfull enough. I don't really game seriously as my friend gave me his old xbox, but I would like to play sims, age of empires, etc... I really couldnt afford the 256 card but as i intebd to use eyeTV a lot maybe it would have been worth it? i didnt think the graphics card was used for processing video like that tho. As i say i couldnt afford it so its just cold feet relly about hoping i got the best to suit my needs/finance, i thought the biger hdd would be better for me.

Also, what are the screens on imacs like on long term use. My pc laptop has a glossy screen as does my emac. Will i miss the glossyness? I hope not

as you can all see... cold feet... please put my mind at rest. I cant wait to get my mac, but i rekon it'll be like when i get married, exciting, but scary commitment... and maybe pleasure afterall...or am i wrong about that too.....?

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 04:29 PM

Listen, man. People on this forum will emphatically tell you that you won't survive unless you max out your ram and upgrade the video card. To that, I say: spare me! That's ridiculous. Your new 24" iMac is sweet and I'd kill to have it. With Mac OS X, you're fine as long as you've got 1GB of memory and that standard iMac video card. Now, if you were serious about gaming, I wouldn't be saying this. But, you aren't, so that would be a moot discussion.

By the by, eyeTV doesn't even come close to requiring the resources you're already packin'.

I'd be really surprised if you fill up a third of that massive hard drive.

Quit worrying and just enjoy your killer new machine!
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 04:56 PM

You should be fine.

And if you find that the iMac you ordered isn't what you needed (within 30 days) just return it and get a better one. Apple has amazing customer service, and its there for you to use. So stop worrying and just look forward to receiving an amazing computer.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 05:01 PM

You HAVE to max out your ram and upgrade your video card or you won't be able to adequately surf the internet and check email! There is no choice in the matter!!! j/k

sfieldhouse  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 05:04 PM

Hey, you guys clearly undrstand my feelings, its great to hear from people in the mac comunity who have experiance.

Being new to the whole mac thing I was a little worried, hence i got the emac to try and settle me in.

You two made me feel so much better, thank you so much. I was just frightened of being dissapointed with my new mac, I'm putting so much effort into being able to finance it.

Thanks for your input, and its great to be a part of this forum.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dbranham View Post
You HAVE to max out your ram and upgrade your video card or you won't be able to adequately surf the internet and check email! There is no choice in the matter!!! j/k
very good, i like that
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 11:10 PM

As far as managing your "digital life" goes, you just can't beat a Mac. Period.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 09:20 AM

If you couldn't afford the 256meg card, then you shouldn't keep kicking yourself. Good rule of thumb is buy the fastest computer you can afford - you did that so relax and enjoy.

The 2gig will be more then enough the GPU should be fine. I'm sure you'll have some aftermarket solution to upgrade the GPU later down the road also.
Michael

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by sfieldhouse View Post
Hey, you guys clearly undrstand my feelings, its great to hear from people in the mac comunity who have experiance.

Being new to the whole mac thing I was a little worried, hence i got the emac to try and settle me in.

You two made me feel so much better, thank you so much. I was just frightened of being dissapointed with my new mac, I'm putting so much effort into being able to finance it.

Thanks for your input, and its great to be a part of this forum.
Yeah, every time I buy a Mac I get the immediate buyer's remorse. Actually, any time I spend that much money I get buyer's remorse, no matter what I buy. But about 5 minutes after my Mac arrives, that feeling is replaced by pure joy. You'll feel the same thing I'm sure.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 02:24 PM

dbranham nailed it.

Many people on this forum are so drunk on the Apple Cool-Aid that they don't accept that users sometimes really don't need the power. Unless you are going to be a AOE III junkie, you should be perfectly fine.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah, every time I buy a Mac I get the immediate buyer's remorse. Actually, any time I spend that much money I get buyer's remorse, no matter what I buy. But about 5 minutes after my Mac arrives, that feeling is replaced by pure joy. You'll feel the same thing I'm sure.
I think the only people that don't get that feeling are people that don't work for their money.

I was really excited when I purchased my $999 iBook a little over a year ago... but there is always that feeling of "OH MY GOT, I SHOULD HAVE PAID THE EXTRA $$$!"

Now that it's over a year old, I realize it really doesn't matter.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Many people on this forum are so drunk on the Apple Cool-Aid ...
Hey! I like the Cool-Aid™
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
Hey! I like the Cool-Aid™
I like grape.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:40 PM

Had a play with a 24" iMac at the weekend. they are awesome. I was blown away - you will be too

applenut1
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 04:29 PM

EyeTV works fine on my Powerbook G4 with Radeon 16MB.

I don't see what you are freaking out about.

Hiramw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 12:15 AM

Hi,

I have an iMac 20" 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. I'm very happy with it. I also have an EyeTV Hybrid and the machine has more than enough power to record and playback HD TV even at the highest 1920 x 1080 HD resolution. HDTV recordings do use up a lot disk space in my experience but that is the case regardless of the machine doing the recording. Anyway, I can watch HDTV or playback an HD recording while I continue to use the machine for other purposes. I also have my old 18" LCD monitor connected to my iMac and it drives both monitors fine.

I think you will be pleased with your 24" iMac.

Hiram

Forum Links
Forum Rules