Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > help with comcast cable modem and Airport Express

help with comcast cable modem and Airport Express
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 12:45 AM

got comcast the other day, the internet works when i plug my mac directly into the cable modem, but not when i plug my Airport Express into it.

I do not have a static external, i plug my mac in and when i check built-in ethernet tcp/ip settings, i see my external Comcast address/subnet/gateway. is it supposed to be that way? if i hit up 192.168.100.1 i can actually get to the cable modem interface, even though my subnet is not 192.168.100.1. shouldn't the comcast cable modem be doing NAT?

if i configure my AE to get the internet via DHCP, it never connects. If i change it to manual, and type in the external info, when i plug the cable in, i get the green "connected' light, but cannot get out to the internet. anyway, i called comcast a few times, but they keep telling me things are working the way they should. anyone with comcast? does this sound right?

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 01:07 AM

or....is the AE supposed to get the WAN IP address via DHCP, then NAT it to the internal range which i have set up...i assume it's supposed to do that, but for some reason, the AE (and my netgear router) both don't work. is it comcast? or is it my waps...

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 11:38 PM

nevermind, i called them up again and had them reset everything on their end, and now it works, cable modem to airport express, DHCP/NAT turned on. problem averted :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules