Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3.0 beta

Safari 3.0 beta (Page 3)
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 08:02 AM

Working great hear, not bad...not bad at all.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 08:08 AM

And now how do I get Bookmarks imported in the Windows version? That would be nice.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
I'm really warming up to the draggable tabs. It's one of those features like tabbed browsing when it first appeared. Once you start doing it, you wonder why the heck every other browser doesn't have that feature.
You mean that feature which other browsers have had for several years?
E.g. OmniWeb since version 5.0 beta 1 (released February 2004)
Firefox via e.g. Tab Mix Plus since at least April 2006 (which is when I first started using it), if not much earlier than that.
( Last edited by JKT; Jun 12, 2007 at 08:56 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
You mean that feature which other browsers have had for years?
Firefox via e.g. Tab Mix Plus since at least April 2006 (which is when I first started using it), if not much earlier than that.
And also Safari via SAFT

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:17 AM

OK, I have Tab Mix Plus. I drag a tab off the window.

Expected Behavior: I get a new window with the contents of that tab as in Safari.
Actual Behavior: I get a text clipping on my desktop. Also, the appearance of my tab bar is FUBAR.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post

Expected Behavior: I get a new window with the contents of that tab as in Safari.
Actual Behavior: I get a text clipping on my desktop. Also, the appearance of my tab bar is FUBAR.
Holy crap, I just noticed that! Awesome!
Signature depreciated.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 10:30 AM

also it seems to affect iTunes - in that iTunes repeats songs. I'm guessing it's Safari 3 anyway - it's the only change.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
I figured it was common knowledge that the Yahoo! Mail beta has been out for over a year now and isn't really a beta at all.....

You can't see the logic? Yahoo! Mail is what is powering the iPhone, yet Yahoo won't fix Yahoo Mail
****in' fixed. As far as I can see, if Gmail works in Safari, there's no reason for Yahoo not to except Yahoo didn't code it right.
Chuck
___

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 10:51 AM

****in' fixed. As far as I can see, if Gmail works in Safari, there's no reason for Yahoo not to except Yahoo didn't code it right.
Yahoo! Mail Beta didn't open for me in Safari 2, neither does it in Safari 3

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
Yahoo! Mail Beta didn't open for me in Safari 2, neither does it in Safari 3
Nor does it open for me. What's your point?
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'm at work right now so I can't tell, but does gmail in Safari 3 on a Mac have chat? Here at work running Safari 3 chat doesn't show up inside gmail.
Also the login link here on macnn doesn't bring down the login boxes.

Issue with my computer or Safari?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 11:17 AM

Granted, that particular aspect of dragging tabs is "new", but the rest is very, very old hat (fwiw, OmniWeb allows you to drag and drop tabs between windows, and you can open a new window from a tab or tabs using the contextual menu item for it. You can also duplicate a tab in a new window by double-clicking its titlebar proxy icon).

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 12, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
Same issue here. It is very fast, and I'd be happy to use it if it weren't for the interface.
I retract my prior statement. After using it some more, I love it. If I maximize the window and auto-hide my Taskbar, I forget that I'm using Windows here at work.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Also the login link here on macnn doesn't bring down the login boxes.

Issue with my computer or Safari?
It doesn't work for me either.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 12, 2007, 11:29 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Apple's own website doesn't work in Safari 3, at least on Windows? If you view any of the new OSX videos, when you click the X to close the popup, the video goes away, but the popup box remains.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 11:30 AM

It broke shapeshifter. Back to Safari 2 for me....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Apple's own website doesn't work in Safari 3, at least on Windows? If you view any of the new OSX videos, when you click the X to close the popup, the video goes away, but the popup box remains.
Works here.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
That's what you get for using Yahoo! Mail. NO browser should support that.
Hmm, unless everyone is doing something different my Yahoo mail works just fine as it did using Safari 2.0. I'm using the Mac version. I have always been able to check mail, send online faxes and everything else. Yahoo is not even my default email, I only use for websites that ask for my email address when I don't want to give out my primary.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 01:44 PM

Okay, here's a neat trick if you're using the Windows version:

Go to View > Customize Toolbar...

Same sort of sheet dialog as OS X.

Now try holding the Shift key when choosing the same menu option.

Same sort of sheet dialog as OS X + the same slow motion effect.

Pretty interesting attention to detail.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Gah. Stupid that it replaces the older version. I thought it would be like the WebKit install

I felt the same way too, I was annoyed that it replaced the older version on my Mac. It works great! No crashing. I'm thinking that the Mac users didn't get a beta, that may be only for the Windows side because it's new but don't quote me.
I also noticed that many of the Myspace sites now scroll smoothly.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 01:51 PM

Haha. Well, guess I need to research my browsers more thoroughly.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 02:33 PM

Safari 3.0 is very nice IMO. I love the new Find feature. It was so hard to actually see what was highlighted on a crowded page. The new approach is simply awesome. Draggable tabs is cool. There's a few other minor changes here or there but for the most part it is about the same from a UI perspective. The "under the hood" changes to WebKit are great. Much better speed and compatibility.

It's nice to see that Inquistor works. It's sad to see that 1Passwd does not work. What's worse is that I can't even use 1Passwd with a pre-3.0 version of WebKit either anymore ... not without uninstalling Safari 3.0 I presume. Having said that, I hope 1Passwd gets an update sooner rather than later to fix this. Once it does then I don't anticipate needing to play with the WebKit nightly builds anymore for some time to come.

OAW

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Anyone got Safari 3 running on Windoze 2000?

Anyways, Safari 3 under OS X works fine for me with Yahoo! Mail, but I'm not using that annoying beta.

Works fine with TD Canada Trust too.
I didn't understand the OP either, I thought he was talking about regular Yahoo mail, not the beta. That shouldn't even bother you as long as you can get your email. Anyways this is why Apple is doing this whole thing by putting Safari on Windows and the iPhone, it's to get these stupid moronic idiots that design these websites to stop being biased towards Internet Explorer. I wouldn't be surprised if Yahoo mail beta included Safari shortly after the iPhone launch. This is what Apple's whole plan is to get more switchers is by using the iPhone to get them, smart move.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2007, 03:49 PM

it looks the same. wasn't it going to look like itunes(no brushed steel)?

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 12, 2007, 04:05 PM

Since installing Safari on Windows, I've been unable to launch the Yahoo Widget Engine. Is anyone else running this combination? I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not.

Subaru_Nation555
Jun 12, 2007, 04:22 PM

About time spellcheck was implemented. So far v3 seems okay on my 12" PowerBook and Quicksilver.
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 04:54 PM

You sure are zealous when people attack apple aren't you? Safari's rendering engine is at fault. IE and Firefox work just fine, as does camino now, if you change the user agent.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Subaru_Nation555 View Post
About time spellcheck was implemented. So far v3 seems okay on my 12" PowerBook and Quicksilver.
Uh .... spell check has been implemented in Safari since version 1.0. It's generally in any Cocoa based application out of the box.

OAW

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Uh .... spell check has been implemented in Safari since version 1.0. It's generally in any Cocoa based application out of the box.

OAW
Indeed.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2007, 05:30 PM

worked horribly for me... I tried it out for about an hour and couldn't take the slowness. I don't have any addons/extensions installed.. oh well. I'll wait for the final version with 10.5
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
worked horribly for me... I tried it out for about an hour and couldn't take the slowness. I don't have any addons/extensions installed.. oh well. I'll wait for the final version with 10.5
Yes I did the same, it was actually slower than Safari 2, I had no idea that without an ad blocker like pith helmet, loading pages where so slow...Do people actually still run internet browsers without some sort of flash blocker in this day and age?

This is coming from someone one a relatively fast machine too!
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 05:39 PM

You sure are zealous when people attack apple aren't you?
Yeah yeah, I know. I'm a pro-Apple zealot when I disagree with people who bash Apple and I'm an anti-Apple zealot when I disagree with people who are defending Apple. It can't possibly be that I just disagree when people make unfounded claims.

Safari's rendering engine is at fault. IE and Firefox work just fine, as does camino now, if you change the user agent.
What's that prove? That Yahoo wrote special, nonstandard code to support IE and Firefox?
Chuck
___

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 05:43 PM

You know how if you have a bookmark, you can type the first few letters of the URL in your addressbar, and it’ll do the autocomplete thingie? In Safari 3, the default autocomplete is for the domain of the URL, not the entire string. Is there any way to disable this? It’s really pissing me off.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
You know how if you have a bookmark, you can type the first few letters of the URL in your addressbar, and it’ll do the autocomplete thingie? In Safari 3, the default autocomplete is for the domain of the URL, not the entire string. Is there any way to disable this? It’s really pissing me off.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Why did this change?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 06:05 PM

Because it was the single most annoying feature of Safari, perhaps? It made it nigh on impossible to just go to a top level domain if you had already visited one of its sub-levels, without having to delete the auto-completed entry that you didn't need or want. Personally, I see that as a big plus if Safari 3.0 behaves like it should (not trying to over-predict what it is that I am doing) rather than as it shouldn't (taking me to completely the wrong place).

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Subaru_Nation555 View Post
Yeah, thats been out since 1.0, dude. How do you think I spell everything right in my posts?
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 06:28 PM

luck we assumed.
No need to keep saying what everyone else has already said you realize?

JKT: Report the 'bug' to Apple, they do get read.
we don't have time to stop for gas

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2007, 06:53 PM

Because it was the single most annoying feature of Safari, perhaps? It made it nigh on impossible to just go to a top level domain if you had already visited one of its sub-levels, without having to delete the auto-completed entry that you didn't need or want. Personally, I see that as a big plus if Safari 3.0 behaves like it should (not trying to over-predict what it is that I am doing) rather than as it shouldn't (taking me to completely the wrong place).
I agree with history items the full URL shouldn't be auto-completed, but for bookmarks the complete URL should most definitely take precedence.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 07:17 PM

I agree with history items the full URL shouldn't be auto-completed, but for bookmarks the complete URL should most definitely take precedence.
They really ought to apply some kind of simple ranking system. If I usually type in forums.macnn.com, don't always give me forums.macnn.com/82/applications/338661/safari-3-0-beta/3/. If I usually type in forums.macnn.com/82/applications, don't just give me forums.macnn.com. And if I have a bookmark, that should be a no-brainer.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 07:29 PM

I just found this feature accidentally. I tried to close the tab I had typed in.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 07:37 PM

Strangely, it still thinks I'll lose my changes after I've posted on MacNN.
Chuck
___

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry the new layout is somewhat confusing.

What are the key differences with the new safari? It looks the same.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
Sorry the new layout is somewhat confusing.

What are the key differences with the new safari? It looks the same.
It's faster and you can drag tabs around.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 07:49 PM

Strangely, it still thinks I'll lose my changes after I've posted on MacNN.
Did you post using the Quick Reply box? It seems that because the page doesn't refresh Safari doesn't recognize that you're not using the textbox anymore.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
Yes I did the same, it was actually slower than Safari 2, I had no idea that without an ad blocker like pith helmet, loading pages where so slow...Do people actually still run internet browsers without some sort of flash blocker in this day and age?
Yes.

In fact, I'm one who appreciates free sites being free. I'll stop visiting a site if the ads get too intrusive (those goddamn overlays are worth killing for), but I accept that banners are what keeps content alive.

And FWIW, Safari 3 is noticeably faster than Safari 2.

davecom
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
And now how do I get Bookmarks imported in the Windows version? That would be nice.
It autoimports from IE and Firefox. Just go to the bookmarks view and you'll see a folder made for you with IE and Netscape imported bookmarks. If you want to do it manually there is an 'import bookmarks' menu option in the File menu. However, you'll need to first export the bookmarks from the respective browser.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 04:15 AM

OH WOW!

That has been annoying me for YEARS!

It's MUCH easier to get the domain suggested and then hit the right-arrow and continue typing to get further down than it is to have to TYPE OUT THE WHOLE ****ING DOMAIN AND *THEN* HIT THE "DELETE" KEY to remove the rest of the goddamn auto-suggested string.

Hooray!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
OH WOW!

That has been annoying me for YEARS!

It's MUCH easier to get the domain suggested and then hit the right-arrow and continue typing to get further down than it is to have to TYPE OUT THE WHOLE ****ING DOMAIN AND *THEN* HIT THE "DELETE" KEY to remove the rest of the goddamn auto-suggested string.

Hooray!
I guess you don't have a lot of bookmarks that go to pages that ARE NOT THE TOP DOMAIN then:
They really ought to apply some kind of simple ranking system. If I usually type in forums.macnn.com, don't always give me forums.macnn.com/82/applications/338661/safari-3-0-beta/3/. If I usually type in forums.macnn.com/82/applications, don't just give me forums.macnn.com. And if I have a bookmark, that should be a no-brainer.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 05:50 AM

One annoying little thing I found: Safari warns you when you try to close a window that has more than 1 tab, so annoying, one of the reasons I hate FF/Camino.
Signature depreciated.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
One annoying little thing I found: Safari warns you when you try to close a window that has more than 1 tab, so annoying, one of the reasons I hate FF/Camino.
It's like in the old days where MS-DOS asked for confirmation when formatting a drive: everybody hit the enter before it appeared

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 06:01 AM

I guess you don't have a lot of bookmarks that go to pages that ARE NOT THE TOP DOMAIN then:
I do, actually, but the situations where the damn thing threw up some more-recent random sub-link from my browsing history were *so* common.

And again: hitting the right-arrow key and typing the next bit of URL is MUCH simpler than having to type the WHOLE ****ING URL and then DELETING the remaining highlighted bit off the end - might as well kill auto-complete entirely if I have to type the whole thing by hand, anyway, or resort to the mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules