Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3.0 beta

Safari 3.0 beta (Page 4)
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
One annoying little thing I found: Safari warns you when you try to close a window that has more than 1 tab, so annoying, one of the reasons I hate FF/Camino.
I actually love that feature. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit command-Q instead of command-W when I'm trying to close just one tab. I end up losing every tab I have open, along with anything I may be typing or looking at. For years I just used Taboo to enable that feature in Safari, but recently I switched to Camino so I don't need it anymore.

But for those who don't like it, is there an option to turn it off? I'm suspicious of the beta ever since the installer deleted my old Safari without installing the new one, and then Installer and several other apps (Mail, Adium, Skype) refused to launch. I had to do an archive install just to get WebKit back. Apple really should have let you install the beta separately, and they also should have kept Safari 2 as the default for WebKit apps (because a lot of people have been having problems with apps like Shiira after installing Safari 3).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Report the 'bug' to Apple, they do get read.
Is true! I reported a bug back in January 2003, regarding the lack of rendering of typefaces in bold when no bold version of themselves was available and now it is fixed! It makes me happy far too much. Four and a half years wait was totally worth it.
( Last edited by megasad; Jun 13, 2007 at 07:47 AM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
But for those who don't like it, is there an option to turn it off?
Of course...

Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Un-check "Confirm when closing multiple pages"

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Of course...

Nice... that pref also lets you quit Safari without the annoying confirmation dialog

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Of course...

Thanks rickey.
Signature depreciated.

Tins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 12:01 PM

Am I the Only One?
When I install Safari 3 Beta on my Windows Machine the font rendering is beyond bad it's NON-EXISTENT! I swear, there are is no text at all, of any kind. None on the web pages, none in the commnad menus (file, edit, view, etc) All I get is the window and images. When I install it on my MBPro 15" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram it still has the brushed metal look instead of the new "unified" look. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Tins

“You know how it is when you go to be the subject of a psychology experiment, and nobody else shows up, and you think maybe that's part of the experiment? I'm like that all the time.”
-Steven Wright

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 12:02 PM

I just found another feature, if you have 2 windows open and you want them to be 1 drag the single tab (you have to have the tab bar showing at all times) into the tab bar of the other window and the windows will merge.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tins View Post
Am I the Only One?
When I install Safari 3 Beta on my Windows Machine the font rendering is beyond bad it's NON-EXISTENT! I swear, there are is no text at all, of any kind. None on the web pages, none in the commnad menus (file, edit, view, etc) All I get is the window and images.
Its a beta dude, chill. Safari for windows has been out for like 3 days, Apple needs to work on it.

When I install it on my MBPro 15" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram it still has the brushed metal look instead of the new "unified" look. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
The new look will come in Leopard, this version you could say is "Safari 3 for Tiger" even tho its still beta.
Signature depreciated.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
One annoying little thing I found: Safari warns you when you try to close a window that has more than 1 tab, so annoying, one of the reasons I hate FF/Camino.
There's a preference for this. On the tabs page, uncheck "confirm when closing multiple pages." Now you can manually reload them all when you accidentally click the close box when you didn't mean to

Tins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 12:43 PM

Hi. Welcome to MacNN. Although it's tough at times, we do try and keep things civil here. So relax, debate your topic in a reasonable manner, stop with the little kid name calling or go elsewhere. This is not a polite suggestion, it's just the way it is. Be civil or be gone.

-TI
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jun 13, 2007 at 02:27 PM. )
Tins

“You know how it is when you go to be the subject of a psychology experiment, and nobody else shows up, and you think maybe that's part of the experiment? I'm like that all the time.”
-Steven Wright

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 01:01 PM

Safari on the PC has the new look, why would the Mac version not be revamped?
Because it's using the same codebase as the old Mac version.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It's nice to see that Inquistor works. It's sad to see that 1Passwd does not work. What's worse is that I can't even use 1Passwd with a pre-3.0 version of WebKit either anymore ... not without uninstalling Safari 3.0 I presume. Having said that, I hope 1Passwd gets an update sooner rather than later to fix this. Once it does then I don't anticipate needing to play with the WebKit nightly builds anymore for some time to come.

OAW
It appears that 1Passwd has been updated to support Safari 3.0. Now all I need is a new version of the Package Tracker widget that stopped working with the new WebKit framework! But i don't have anything I'm tracking at the moment so I can wait a bit for that one.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 01:13 PM

Regarding the new Autocomplete behavior in the URL field ....

Personally, the new behavior is a godsend to me. Like others here, I often found it annoying that it would default to the last site visited rather than the top level domain. That just resulted in a lot of unnecessary deleting for me. Having said that, I can appreciate where Erik and those in that camp are coming from. It seems to be that the autocomplete entries should be listed in the following order:

1. Bookmark
2. Top-Level Domain
3. History (in most recently visited order)

However, it seems like it is actually doing ....

1. Top-Level Domain
2. Bookmark
3. History (in most recently visited order)

Regardless, the new behavior is better than the old IMO. I for one am not so in love with the perfect that I hate the good.

OAW

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 01:45 PM

Im not sure this is the thread but I had to put my 5 cents in

Jobs is incredibly brright at times and sometimes he lets his very large ego shoot himself in the foot.

why bother putting aapl engineeers on a pure windows app that gets aapl no money at all?

the potential for riddicule in infinite see the blogs now!

no windows person is going to swtich because of a browser

they have Itunes that adds revenue to aapl

so sad such a waste of aapl resourses

shouldn't this effort been placed in say iLife?

make no sense to me at all

appreciate any positive view of the windows safari to see if Im wrong

cheers
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rotuts View Post
why bother putting aapl engineeers on a pure windows app that gets aapl no money at all?
Money is not the only thing a company needs — hence why Microsoft products sometimes fail. In this case, Apple needs Web developers to pay attention to Safari.
Chuck
___

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 02:14 PM

Wow, your amazingly helpful, . . . dude. How did you ever come up with such insightful wisdom? I mean other than keeping your head up your ass just for the warmth. I realize that works for you but not for the rest of us. I realize it's a beta jag off, I referenced that fact in the my post dumb ass. It's a public beta, a program that is to be used and commented on by the public. Which is what I'm doing, you know being involved in the community trying to make the software better. How about keeping your useless comments to yourself and only responding if you have something of actual value to add to the conversation rather than just posting to post, . . . douche bag!

Safari on the PC has the new look, why would the Mac version not be revamped? Again your a douche bag. I question whether you have actually installed the program, . . . douche bag!
Reported.
Signature depreciated.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 02:22 PM

I guess my point on safari for windows is that apple gains very little and is now subject to reasonable ridicule by the windows side

all that code effort would be better placed in a mac app

as windows users see apple apps in iTunes

I truely believe windows safari gains very little for apple except some sort of bragging rights for Jobs that currently has him in a very bad place

again we will see. now apple apps are seem by windows users as just more junk

too too bad.

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 02:26 PM

I guess my point on safari for windows is that apple gains very little and is now subject to reasonable ridicule by the windows side
all that code effort would be better placed in a mac app
as windows users see apple apps in iTunes
I truely believe windows safari gains very little for apple except some sort of bragging rights for Jobs that currently has him in a very bad place
again we will see. now apple apps are seem by windows users as just more junk
too too bad.
cheers
You're missing the point. Apple doesn't care about Safari as a browser on the PC. Safari is the development platform for iPhone apps, and the browser on the iPhone. It wants Safari out there so that PC users can design apps and web pages that look good on the iPhone.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 02:32 PM

Am I the Only One?
When I install Safari 3 Beta on my Windows Machine the font rendering is beyond bad it's NON-EXISTENT! I swear, there are is no text at all, of any kind. None on the web pages, none in the commnad menus (file, edit, view, etc) All I get is the window and images. When I install it on my MBPro 15" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram it still has the brushed metal look instead of the new "unified" look. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
YES! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling rebooting, blah blah... Nothing works.

I really want to use it on my work computer

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You're missing the point. Apple doesn't care about Safari as a browser on the PC. Safari is the development platform for iPhone apps, and the browser on the iPhone. It wants Safari out there so that PC users can design apps and web pages that look good on the iPhone.
And IE or IE/FF only websites, for the guys that don't have a Mac lying around to test in Safari.
Signature depreciated.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 02:37 PM

OK thanks

I stand corrected. I didn't realize Safari was for iPhone use.

too bad Jobs had to point out speed issues that don't seem to exist and too bad it has so many bugs

given its a beta it should have been presented differently as a complement to iPhone for windows and as an initial unfinished version

but thanks for clearing it up for me

hope they put out beta-2 windows soon!

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 02:39 PM

I don't quite understand CATS CEO point re IE

cheers
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 03:04 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with PDFs? Every time I click on a link to a PDF, Safari crashes. Boom. Every PDF on every site I've tried. I noticed it when I was testing a site I was working on, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with my PDF, but it seems to happen everywhere.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 03:09 PM

Works ok for me (on a Mac).

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 03:23 PM

it has an issue with a hidden task bar. it is unnable to pop up while you are using safari

kinda annoying
R.I.P Steve Jobs

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 03:34 PM

Re: PDFs, I just uninstalled 3.0 (very cool that the uninstaller restores your old version of Safari), PDF links work as expected, then reinstalled 3.0. Crash. Tried some of the manuals on Apple's site and Safari crashes as soon as I click the link. Downloading the file with the contextual menu works fine; it happens when Safari is trying to show the PDF inline.

Power Mac G5 running 10.4.9...

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 03:54 PM

dunno if it's just 'cause I've got the debug menu on, but the contextual menu now has an 'inspect element' option - which is really good.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 05:50 PM

Now that SAFT has finally been updated I have happily moved to Safari 3 beta. One question though... is it just me or did anyone else expect to get the new look and feel too? I mean the windows version got the iTunes like skin... why not the mac version?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by wr11 View Post
Now that SAFT has finally been updated I have happily moved to Safari 3 beta. One question though... is it just me or did anyone else expect to get the new look and feel too? I mean the windows version got the iTunes like skin... why not the mac version?
To quote myself:
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Because it's using the same codebase as the old Mac version.
Chuck
___

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2007, 09:06 PM

did safari 3 fix the memory leak? I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

Man, Ars Technica gave Safari 3 on Windows a very bad review:

First look: Safari 3 beta on Windows vs. Firefox 2 and IE7

A lot of these criticisms seem pretty sound, particularly the ones about Windows interface guidelines and fitting in.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 13, 2007 at 09:43 PM. )

proton
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
There's a preference for this. On the tabs page, uncheck "confirm when closing multiple pages." Now you can manually reload them all when you accidentally click the close box when you didn't mean to
Or you could just choose Reopen Last Closed Window from the History menu.

- proton

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
A lot of these criticisms seem pretty sound, particularly the ones about Windows interface guidelines and fitting in.
And yet, when someone criticised Firfox on Mac for the exact same reasons, you always claimed it doesn't matter...

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
did safari 3 fix the memory leak? I'm surprised nobody has even mentioned it.
The leak isn't in Safari, it's in WebKit. And I haven't been running the beta long enough to know the answer to your question.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
And yet, when someone criticised Firfox on Mac for the exact same reasons, you always claimed it doesn't matter...
No, most of the usual Mac user criticisms are sound, they just don't tip the scales to make Safari the compelling Mac browser in light of the compatibility and extensibility of Firefox, IMHO. Things like Keychain support and such are icing, IMHO... A browser that works with all sites, performs well, doesn't bog down, crash, and one that allows me to work within a work flow I find productive are most important to me considering that I'm a web developer.

All of what I've said is in effect for prior versions of Safari, I haven't really spent a lot of time with 3 yet.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post
Re: PDFs, I just uninstalled 3.0 (very cool that the uninstaller restores your old version of Safari), PDF links work as expected, then reinstalled 3.0. Crash. Tried some of the manuals on Apple's site and Safari crashes as soon as I click the link. Downloading the file with the contextual menu works fine; it happens when Safari is trying to show the PDF inline.

Power Mac G5 running 10.4.9...
This was driving me crazy, but the fix is simple. The Adobe Acrobat plugin is crashing Safari. Open adobe reader, access adobe reader preferences, in the "Internet" preferences, UNcheck "Display PDF in browser using Adobe Reader". Safari will then render the PDF itself, much faster and nicer than the Adobe plugin. It would be nice if safari 3.0 would automatically make this change, or at least have an internal preference setting to change it. Maybe upgrading to Acrobat 8 would also work, still running 7.0 here.
( Last edited by jmp998; Jun 14, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Add Acrobat version info)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2007, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No, most of the usual Mac user criticisms are sound, they just don't tip the scales to make Safari the compelling Mac browser in light of the compatibility and extensibility of Firefox, IMHO. Things like Keychain support and such are icing, IMHO...
Oh, but Windows interface guidelines (oxymoron?), those are essential.
Chuck
___

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2007, 09:02 AM

I think the Safari release on PC was wasted.
They should have refined its features more and give pc ppl a taste of apples innovation.

Safari cant compete with firefox and its modules.
Alot of pc people are not impressed by it and have only played with it for curiosity and a novelty.
Maybe Safari should have made compaitible with firefoxes plugins and modules.

I dont see anything new or special in safari 3. Am i missing something????

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Am i missing something????
Yes.

The fact that this is all for iPhone development and forcing web developers to support Safari now that it's widely available.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
it looks the same. wasn't it going to look like itunes(no brushed steel)?
Safari uses standard Mac OS X UI elements and the iTunes look isn't a standard look in 10.4.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007, 12:21 AM

Somewhere (can't recall where) I read (so I don't know it for a fact) that:
Every time a Safari browser is used to "google" something, Apple gets a
few coins from Google. The post I read claimed that it actually amounted
to several million ducats (dollars really) per month. So if Windows users
start googling with Safari, there could be significant monetary rewards.

I guess the iPhone angle has already been mentioned... as well as the possibility
that having web"masters" wake up and acknowledge Safari's existence by making
their sites friendly to something besides Explorer would also be beneficial.

[Anyway: if that google story is wrong, someone will eventually pounce on me.]

--

Hmm, here maybe.

Ah, HERE.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jun 15, 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added link)
-HI-

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by JLL View Post
Safari uses standard Mac OS X UI elements and the iTunes look isn't a standard look in 10.4.
I have to correct you there: Unified is in fact a standard look in 10.4.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I have to correct you there: Unified is in fact a standard look in 10.4.
Put a Mail (i.e., standard unified) window next to iTunes. You'll see they aren't the same.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Put a Mail (i.e., standard unified) window next to iTunes. You'll see they aren't the same.
I'm aware that the look of iTunes itself is hacked on with resources as a relic from the olden days, but Unified itself is definitely a standard look. iLife "unified" isn't. I'll give you that. But the question was: Why isn't Safari 3.0 unified?

I'm surprised to hear that it still isn't. It's gorgeous under UNO.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 05:27 AM

I'm aware that the look of iTunes itself is hacked on with resources as a relic from the olden days, but Unified itself is definitely a standard look. iLife "unified" isn't. I'll give you that. But the question was: Why isn't Safari 3.0 unified?
Why would it be? It's never been unified, it never will be unified. It will have the standard system theme in Leopard — which does resemble unified — but that theme is iTunes' theme, not the unified window theme.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 05:39 AM

It's unified on Windows. Leopard's theme is still unified, just slightly modified and darker.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 05:45 AM

It's unified on Windows. Leopard's theme is still unified, just slightly modified and darker.
Leopard's theme is the iTunes theme. We've already established that the iTunes theme is different than the 10.4 unified theme. Thus, there is no reason to expect it to use the 10.4 unified theme.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 05:58 AM

We've established? You and which committee? It's plainly obvious that iTunes/iLife is just a darker variant of Unified and so is Leopard's theme.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 07:37 AM

So where are we.

better tabs - useful
new find - great
text box resizing - cool
reopen windows - nifty
under the hood improvements: speed, javascript, css3, etc. - nice
developer tools - javascript debug, etc. - needed for web techies
my impression is that it's faster and does not get so bogged down when lots of tabs are open.

but:
I was hopping for more granular cookie control.
Although I'd like built in ad blocking I didn't expect it.
A plug in API would address all the "but firefox has more geeky stuff" whining.

The stuff getting panned by the tech dork press is mostly personal preference stuff. They don't like font smoothing, command keys, how the bookmarks work, etc.

A lot of the windows security complaints have to do with 3rd party software. For example a malicious iframe can crash safari and send a bad link on to the default browser, if that browser is firefox then there is a chance that firefox will execute arbitrary code. Not a problem if IE or Opera is the default. Sounds like a safari bug, but a Firefox security issue to me.

I think it's a good, straight forward upgrade. When the bugs shake loose it should stand out as a light, quick, easy to use browser. It is already ahead of the pack for cool css3 goodies like text shadow. For example, multi-backgrounds in action: CSS3 . Info - Multiple background test

More fun: CSS3 Preview - CSS3 . info
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Links
Forum Rules