Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 95)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
And what was the deal with Cavel just magically appearing on the deck. Oh hi, I've got the kid... let's go for some exposition, oh frak, we were double crossed but we weren't and we're all dead. Oh well. The end.

I thought that was somewhat goofy.
Did you not see the scenes with him storming through the ship with the group of centurions???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:29 PM

So Kara is God, is that what happened? I'm confused...

They didn't tie her plot thread up, AT ALL. Why did she find her body? Where did the viper come from? Why didn't she remember? What the hell?
She wasn't God, but she was an instrument of God. They were pretty explicit God is just a word used to describe something which can't be described.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Did you not see the scenes with him storming through the ship with the group of centurions???
Was about to say the same thing. He was part of the boarding party.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 11:39 PM

No, I saw that. It still doesn't explain how he popped out of no where onto a bridge full of armed enemy combatants. Is he a ninja now?

I don't want to be a big party pooper. I just have questions.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:42 PM

No, I saw that. It still doesn't explain how he popped out of no where onto a bridge full of armed enemy combatants. Is he a ninja now?

I don't want to be a big party pooper. I just have questions.
I'd have to watch it again, but if I remember, that scene started at what looked like the tail-end of a fight in the CiC when Lee and friends came in with Hera: I remember a character yelling, "this one's still alive!" So, I think, Cavil was there and, perhaps, playing possum. He grabbed Hera. Playing dead would fit in with his character.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009, 11:52 PM

glad to hear you guys liking the final episode. Can't wait. Its about to show in 10 mins.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by RMXO View Post
glad to hear you guys liking the final episode. Can't wait. Its about to show in 10 mins.
Sorry for the lack of spoiler tags, dude.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 11:54 PM

Overall it was good. I just wanted more explanation of certain things.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:57 PM

Overall it was good. I just wanted more explanation of certain things.
I like the fact they didn't wrap everything up in a nice package: leaving some of it open-ended means the characters continue beyond the end of the series.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2009, 12:03 AM

There's open ended and then there is open ended. When you kill the main character of your show, and then have them come back in a mysterious ship and find their own burnt body, you don't just sorta leave that hanging.

It's such a weird thing to do.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 12:06 AM

There's open ended and then there is open ended. When you kill the main character of your show, and then have them come back in a mysterious ship and find their own burnt body, you don't just sorta leave that hanging.

It's such a weird thing to do.
It's been made clear she was an instrument of God for a while. She was being used, and if that means coming back from the dead, then so be it. God, or whatever you want to call it, is, by definition, mysterious and beyond human comprehension.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2009, 12:08 AM

Okay I just watched the whole ending and I've decided that Kara was also a head character. The only difference is that she was able to manifest herself just as that Ms. Geoffrey (spelling) lady did early in the series when Baltar decided to not listen to his head six. EVERYONE saw Head Six. I am assuming that Starbuck really did die in her viper but "God" brought her back as a head character to everyone because she had not fulfilled her destiny, therefore she needed to have existed to make sure she jumped them all back to the real Earth at the end of it all. Then she disappeared like the rest of the head characters.....

Also I LOVED the way God was described at the end, When baltar said that "He does not like to be called that" Meaning God, because "US", right now, in real life has turned God into something that is not what God was in the beginning of our history when the colonials landed in "our" ancient Earth. We have turned god into an entity that is not good and fair, but something that we have turned to our own gain......

Overall I think the episode answered a lot of questions and was a fitting end to an AMAZING show!!!

Did anyone catch the "preview" to the fall special about the cylon's plan? Airing in the fall? IS this another miniseries in the making??????

Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by RodriCO2000 View Post
Also I LOVED the way God was described at the end, When baltar said that "He does not like to be called that" Meaning God, because "US", right now, in real life has turned God into something that is not what God was in the beginning of our history when the colonials landed in "our" ancient Earth. We have turned god into an entity that is not good and fair, but something that we have turned to our own gain......
Interesting. Not my take on it, but interesting.

IS this another miniseries in the making??????
Nope. It's a one-off.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Sorry for the lack of spoiler tags, dude.
its cool. just glad to hear its a good finale. wished they made the season finale commercial free.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 12:14 AM

Kara II a head character? I don't buy it.

EDIT: ...and I'm right.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Battlest...s=breakingnews
( Last edited by starman; Mar 21, 2009 at 12:21 AM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 12:41 AM

Loved it! I even liked the ending. I LOL'ed.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2009, 04:20 AM

Still stunned, but I think I liked it.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

Great finale. I was surprised that there weren't more character deaths considering the tone of this season. Glad that most have happy if difficult futures.

Liked the final coda, and it was fitting.

The music cue referencing the original theme as the fleet made its last cruise was very nice.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 01:30 PM

Kara disappearing, leaving Lee by himself, got to me. I was thinking they finally got to be together.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 03:13 PM

I wanted one more make out scene with Lee and Kara, with Lee as naked as possible... finale sucked

Actually I think by far this was the best episode of the season... for the most part I'm happy with it. I think a few things were weird... like yes Hera brought them to earth, and she apparently was Eve? Other than that though how does she save humanity?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2009, 03:48 PM

Still not quite certain how Starbuck was the "harbinger of death"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think she would have been, except the cycle was broken.

Cold Warrior
Mar 21, 2009, 09:08 PM

Fairly satisfied with the ending, although it was odd for Cavil to shoot himself in the middle of a firefight.

Kara's story was certainly short-changed. At the very end she seemed to know it was time to go, but it would've been nice for her to have hashed it all out between her and some head character.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2009, 10:30 PM

I didn't like it much at all, regretfully.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Fairly satisfied with the ending, although it was odd for Cavil to shoot himself in the middle of a firefight.
It was actually Stockwell's idea:
Originally Posted by http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/03/battlestar-galactica-ronald-d-moore.html
Moore: Cavil killing himself came from Dean Stockwell, to be honest. As scripted, in that climactic battle in CIC, Tigh was going to grab Cavil and fling him over the edge of the upper level, and he was going to fall to his death. Dean called me himself and said, "I just really think that in that moment, Cavil would realize the jig is up and it's all hopeless and just put a gun in his mouth and shoot himself." And I just said, "Okay."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 10:37 PM

I'm surprised to find I seem to be the one who liked it least.

To start with, I really didn't buy everybody in the fleet just merrily going along with Lee's hippy bullshit. Even Badger was like, "Wow, that's hard to believe." I agree! Then the show flakes out on answering the fundamental questions about Head Six (oh, she's a vaguely defined being who guides Baltar? I had NO IDEA), flakes out even worse on Starbuck, Cavil's death was unsatisfying and out of character, poor Boomer was nothing but a tool to the end, Sam committed suicide for no good reason, and the surprise ending about this all being in the past was something that I'm pretty sure had been guessed by page 10 of this thread.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I really didn't buy everybody in the fleet just merrily going along with Lee's hippy bullshit. Even Badger was like, "Wow, that's hard to believe." I agree!
On the other hand, the remaining 38k humans had just spent a few years cramped in ships fleeing for their lives after having survived an attack that destroyed BILLIONS of lives. I don't see how it would be that much of a stretch.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 12:19 AM

I actually loved the way they ended Kara's story. As far as I'm concerned, Baltar was right in calling her an angel. "God" resurrected her to lead humanity to "Earth." Once her mission was done, she wasn't needed anymore.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 01:04 AM

The male hybrid from "Razor" warned the humans NOT to follow Kara because she is the harbinger of death and will lead them to their end". Pretty much he knew that starbuck would lead them to nuked earth and it was the wrong place to go. I don't get why or how Starbuck went from a storm on some planet to ending up all the way on earth burnt. Why would god make her end up there when it wasn't the right place to go?

Also why did the final 5 activate in the nubula when starbuck came back and why did BSG lose power, why did the raiders finally detect the final 5?

I don't understand why Hera was so important either.

What ever happened to Dianna? Did she really stay on nuked earth?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
She's "Eve." Mankind descended from both humans and cylons.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lexapro
Baninated
Mar 22, 2009, 03:33 AM

D'Anna stayed on Bombed Earth and died. Ron Moore said so in his podcast.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The male hybrid from "Razor" warned the humans NOT to follow Kara because she is the harbinger of death and will lead them to their end". Pretty much he knew that starbuck would lead them to nuked earth and it was the wrong place to go.
I'd buy that, except Sam *also* made the "Kara Thrace: Harbinger of Death" prediction, long after the fleet left the nuked Earth.

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
She's "Eve." Mankind descended from both humans and cylons.
This is my problem with multi-season story arcs. We get all this build-up around around the importance of characters like Hera and then they turn out to be only marginally important. 40,000 Colonial Humans, who-knows-how-many Cylon-skinjobs and who-knows-how-many not-nuked-Earth Humans and we're supposed to believe that all of humanity on not-nuked-Earth descended from Hera? At best, she introduced minor amount of Cylon blood into an already thriving gene pool.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 11:01 AM

Yeah I agree - even though I'm very satisfied with how everything turned out I really don't see the importance of Hera at all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 11:29 AM

Other things bothering me about the finale:

- the raptor accidentally launching nukes at the Cylon colony. The only reason Galactica was able to get away and Colonial Humanity finding not-nuked-Earth was because of an accident?
- the Cylon colony being utterly destroyed by 8 nukes. Given it's size, it would have seemed to be able to take a lot more punishment than that. Hasn't Galactica been hit by nukes before and survived?
- Galactica not ripping a hole out of the side of the Cylon colony when she jumped out while almost in contact with the colony.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2009, 11:31 AM

This is my problem with multi-season story arcs. We get all this build-up around around the importance of characters like Hera and then they turn out to be only marginally important. 40,000 Colonial Humans, who-knows-how-many Cylon-skinjobs and who-knows-how-many not-nuked-Earth Humans and we're supposed to believe that all of humanity on not-nuked-Earth descended from Hera? At best, she introduced minor amount of Cylon blood into an already thriving gene pool.
She was very important as "the future of ________" to different people at different times for different reasons throughout the series. Some characters thought she was important only because other characters said so (Ex: Roslin wanted her kept out of the hands of the Cylons pretty much just because the Cylons were so interested in her). Everyone recognized the significance of her as the only Human-Cylon hybrid. I don't think we're supposed to believe that all of humanity descended from Hera, but she is symbolically important for that reason. Her treatment in the finale seems pretty consistent to me from the rest of the series.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 12:03 PM

- the raptor accidentally launching nukes at the Cylon colony. The only reason Galactica was able to get away and Colonial Humanity finding not-nuked-Earth was because of an accident?
Accident or act of God?

- the Cylon colony being utterly destroyed by 8 nukes. Given it's size, it would have seemed to be able to take a lot more punishment than that. Hasn't Galactica been hit by nukes before and survived?
Moore said that the nukes were enough to knock it out of its orbit, pushing it towards the singularity and utter demise. He also said that after editing it looks like this may have come out a bit more ambiguous than he had intended.

- Galactica not ripping a hole out of the side of the Cylon colony when she jumped out while almost in contact with the colony.
Maybe it has to do with the colony not falling apart structurally at the time, like Galactica was. No clue about that one, though...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 12:06 PM

She was very important as "the future of ________" to different people at different times for different reasons throughout the series. Some characters thought she was important only because other characters said so (Ex: Roslin wanted her kept out of the hands of the Cylons pretty much just because the Cylons were so interested in her). Everyone recognized the significance of her as the only Human-Cylon hybrid. I don't think we're supposed to believe that all of humanity descended from Hera, but she is symbolically important for that reason. Her treatment in the finale seems pretty consistent to me from the rest of the series.
It seems to me that we are supposed to think humanity descended from Hera. If not, what was that "mitochondria Eve" dialogue about?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cold Warrior
Mar 22, 2009, 12:08 PM

Now I wonder what the DVD bonus/deleted scenes will have.
I found LOTR's added-scenes version noticeably more enjoyable.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It seems to me that we are supposed to think humanity descended from Hera. If not, what was that "mitochondria Eve" dialogue about?
I think we are supposed to believe that in a figurative sense. I don't think that we are supposed to believe that everyone literally descended from Hera. The mitochondrial Eve dialogue was there to just reinforce her importance in terms of injecting Cylon blood into the gene pool.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Mar 22, 2009 at 12:24 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 12:33 PM

I'd buy that, except Sam *also* made the "Kara Thrace: Harbinger of Death" prediction, long after the fleet left the nuked Earth.
I don't think he was making predictions he was just chattering on about her role in all this. All the hybrids always talk about the past/future/present.

Other than the colony there must have still been baseships with 8's, 1's, simons and Dorels out there as they mentioned 2 of them jumped in range of the colony when they took photographs. Kinda disapointed they left that one open.

I'm also wondering what happened to those Tin Cans that nuked first earth.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 12:39 PM

I think we are supposed to believe that in a figurative sense. I don't think that we are supposed to believe that everyone literally descended from Hera. The mitochondrial Eve dialogue was there to just reinforce her importance in terms of injecting Cylon blood into the gene pool.
That's how I saw it. Hera's been referred to as the "shape of things to come", and we are those "things" too--at least a product of them.

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 22, 2009, 12:51 PM

Is it possible that the aboriginals (the tribal people (Africans?)) were the only race when BSG people landed? Then Hera's DNA /genes contributed to creating more races?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

So 150K years later, the Head Baltar and Six we saw in NY were the same "angels" we saw with Physical Baltar and Six, right?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 02:02 PM

I'm guessing Kara Thrace was the Angel of Death, though she didn't know it. She's not bad or good, she's just there for people at the end. Ultimately, she's there for the whole colony's end where her work is done, so she leaves.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 02:06 PM

The colony ship isn't made of the same material as Galactica. Jumping near a colony ship, base star, etc. might not have any affect because their materials are stronger than steel, but flexible.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 02:09 PM

By the way, I think my absolute favorite scene in the whole show was the Chief choking Tory Foster. I thought they had forgotten about that whole incident, and just as I was pointing that out to my friends, the camera shifts back and forth between the Chief and Tory as she tries to explain that she may have done something bad.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
By the way, I think my absolute favorite scene in the whole show was the Chief choking Tory Foster. I thought they had forgotten about that whole incident, and just as I was pointing that out to my friends, the camera shifts back and forth between the Chief and Tory as she tries to explain that she may have done something bad.
I quite enjoyed that as well. I also liked that Athena still killed Boomer, despite Boomer bring Hera to her.

(though, I'm left wondering how anybody found anybody, given the sheer size of the Cylon colony)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 02:57 PM

Best line of the show:
"Can we please not tell her the plan?"
"oh, ya"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
So 150K years later, the Head Baltar and Six we saw in NY were the same "angels" we saw with Physical Baltar and Six, right?
Yes.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 04:17 PM

Not an accident: it was part of the plan all along. That's one of the interesting things the writers did: the plan involved events which could be seen as evil and horrible--the nuking of billions of humans, for one--but which were all necessary for the end to come about. It's a pretty ballsy discussion of God for an American TV show.

Forum Links
Forum Rules