Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Sites that buy iphones?

Sites that buy iphones?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 02:04 PM

I sold my last few phones on craigslist, but read an article in the NYT about gazelle.com. Basically, you enter in info on your phone and they will send you a postage paid box and buy it from you using paypal or a check. Has anyone used the service? I assume it is legit since I saw it in the NYT. There are a few others as well. Anyone tried a similar site?

A 32gb 3gs is going for about $350 on craigslist and gazelle offered me $271. Not bad, considering you don't have to leave your house or meet sketchy people at the book store.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 02:10 PM

Uhm, yeah, and how do they know that they don't get a brick ?

Will they hold off on paying you until they tested the phone ?
If they do, how do you ever know they'll send the money ?

With Craigslist, you can have least somebody try it on the spot, and then sell it "as is".

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 02:11 PM

Craigslist all the way, for just the reasons turtle lists.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, yeah, and how do they know that they don't get a brick ?

Will they hold off on paying you until they tested the phone ?
If they do, how do you ever know they'll send the money ?

With Craigslist, you can have least somebody try it on the spot, and then sell it "as is".

-t
I think they test the phone before paying you. I'm sure some are scams, but I think some are legitimate, which is why I asked if anyone tried it. gazelle.com, in particular, seems like they offer an honest service.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 02:16 PM

Sure has potential to be a Ponzi scheme.

Pay the first people, and at some point, start delaying payments until you siphoned enough money. Then you go "broke".

-t

zacharace
Jun 15, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Sure has potential to be a Ponzi scheme.

Pay the first people, and at some point, start delaying payments until you siphoned enough money. Then you go "broke".

-t
I've seen Gazelle on eBay before and have almost ordered something from them (Apple products all) a few times; they seem pretty established and legitimate. 100% rating on eBay, too, FWIW.

But yeah, I can see why craigslist may actually make some people feel safer here...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 06:45 AM

How much does an old 3G sell for these days! I wanna do that! Gazelle says $130; what would I get on Craig's list or eBay?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
How much does an old 3G sell for these days! I wanna do that! Gazelle says $130; what would I get on Craig's list or eBay?
Prices are going to drop considerably.

Just imagine how many units become available when people get their iPhone 4. This is going to drive prices down.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2010, 01:54 PM

I hear Radio Shack has a trade in program with pretty fair rates. You can get $200 in store credit for a 3GS... and since Radio Shack is carrying the iPhone 4, you can just put it toward that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 04:50 PM

Gazelle.com is legit. Costco has partnered with them for recycling old electronics, so I'm pretty sure they check out.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2010, 05:07 PM

Leo Laporte (of TechTV fame) also has Gazelle as an advertiser on the TWiT network for the MacBreak Weekly podcast (complete with a 5% promo code). He tends to only take advertising from companies he believes in and uses, so if it's good enough for him, I'd trust them. For example, he refuses to advertise for GoDaddy due to their horrible practices.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules