Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPad - Spontaneous Reboots / Resets

New iPad - Spontaneous Reboots / Resets
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 AM

The new iPad is the most unstable iOS device I've yet owned.

Apps that are rock solid on other devices crash out to the homescreen (Reeder, Safari) and I've seen 4 or 5 spontaneous reboots in one week of ownership. I haven't seen 4 or 5 spontaneous reboots with all my other iDevices combined.

The most annoying of these resets my homescreen layouts. The pre-installed apps are on screen 1, followed by all the rest of my stuff, in alphabetical order on screens 2-5. No more custom positioning or meticulously-crafted folders. This has happened twice in one week and was after hard crashes... That is, I'm using the iPad when the screen goes black and I get the large static activity wheel in the center of the screen. Press & hold Home & Sleep/Wake until reboot.

The most destructive problem has been a data erasure, for lack of a better way to put it. All of my apps remain in place, but my books, movies, music and podcasts are all gone. This happened after an iTunes "Application Not Responding" force quit with the iPad attached.

Perhaps incidentally, my iPhone 4S hard crashed once this week, too. Maybe this is a 5.1 thing?

Is anyone else seeing this?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

One thing I would try is:
Backup your device
Set up as a new device and see if it still happens. (Just to rule out any bad data)

If those issues are still occurring, it is definitely a faulty unit and I would exchange it ASAP.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

When your apps layout is changed and all your folders are gone, that means that your device recovered from a crash and is in Safe Mode. I've seen it every now and then on my jailbroken 3GS. Restarting brings things back to normal, for me at least.

It sounds like you may have some sort of hardware defect there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
When your apps layout is changed and all your folders are gone, that means that your device recovered from a crash and is in Safe Mode. I've seen it every now and then on my jailbroken 3GS. Restarting brings things back to normal, for me at least.
It'd be nice if the system made that obvious somehow, like with the personal hotspot or GarageBand recording overlays.

Anyone know whether I'd end up with a refurb if I returned to the store with this week-old iPad?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2012, 10:49 PM

All I know is that if you are among the first line to get your iPad replaced, you dont need to worry about getting refurb.

Refurbs are double tested for defects, have a new battery, and carry the same warranty as a new Apple item. New iPads are sold in whatever state they came from China.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2012, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
Anyone know whether I'd end up with a refurb if I returned to the store with this week-old iPad?
Why care? A refurb of a new product has been vetted way better than a new one.

-Allen

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2012, 12:19 AM

I went to the Genius Bar and my iPad was replaced with a new unit—zero hassle. The new one has exhibited none of the symptoms outlined in my initial post. It was definitely a defective unit.

It sort of bugs me because an inexperienced user would just think "this thing sucks" and not necessarily know that what they were seeing was unusual.

freudling
Banned
Mar 26, 2012, 12:30 AM

Actually, to me iOS 5 has been the most buggy of any iOS release. Tons of crashes. I see the exact same crashes on my girlfriend's iOS device, as well as people in the office. Safari, for instance, it crashes regularly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Safari, for instance, it crashes regularly.
That's the new normal.

Mobile Safari is crap. I'm only using iCabMobile now.

-t

freudling
Banned
Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's the new normal.

Mobile Safari is crap. I'm only using iCabMobile now.

-t
Why the fu*k is Safari mobile so broken?

Forum Links
Forum Rules