Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion: Finder windows gone after restart, fix?

Lion: Finder windows gone after restart, fix?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2012, 06:03 AM

Hi All,

I'm getting very frustrated with this problem: when I restart my Mac (running OSX 10.7.3), all of my Finder windows are closed.

I've deleted ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.finder.savedState

and tried this in the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool true

but I've had no success. Any other suggestions?

I've been using Macs since the original Mac Plus, and Lion has to be the most frustrating update ever! I understand Apple's corporate reasoning for moving OSX towards iOS, but I really hate the interface changes. Really. Hate. Really.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chas

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 06:09 AM

This is not one of Lion's interface changes.

In fact, many people criticize Lion for introducing the OPPOSITE behaviour of what you describe: Re-opening all windows in ANY application, not just the Finder.

You're seeing some sort of bug, not a design change in Lion.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2012, 06:38 AM

Oops, yes, I wasn't clear: I know that this is a bug, and Lion's interface changes are driving me crazy! :-)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 06:55 AM

I've been using Macs since 1989, and I decided to leave Lion at all default settings for three weeks, and then revisit and see what I still wanted to change. It turned out to be almost nothing. Although getting a Magic Trackpad makes a HUGE difference IMO.

Have you tried removing the Finder preferences from ~/Library (hold down Option to show the folder in the Finder's "Go" menu) and then restarting the Finder?

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2012, 07:16 AM

I must have a bunch of bugs or a bad install. Another thing that is very annoying is, when I do a command-f search, I can't then click on the file headers (e.g. name, size, date) to sort, I have to go to a menu. I used to consult on HCI, and extra steps are always a no-no!

As for a trackpad, I went one further: I have an Wacom Intuos 5 graphics tablet. Pretty awesome, it's like a huge trackpad (and, of course, graphics tablet). That said, I haven't really been taking advantage of gestures yet (too old school).

I hadn't tried to remove the Finder's prefs (shoulda thought of that myself), I'll see how that goes later today (doing too much to interrupt my Mac now). btw: GREAT tip on the quick access to the Library folder, I've been doing a "go to folder" and entering "~/Library".

Cheers!

Chas

Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 2, 2012, 09:58 AM

I’ve experienced a similar issue in the past, which cleared itself up with the last point update. Unfortunately, it was replaced by another: every time I restart, Finder will open up a folder from somewhere inside Steam’s package. It’s not a major issue, but it’s an irritating bug.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chasg View Post
I must have a bunch of bugs or a bad install. Another thing that is very annoying is, when I do a command-f search, I can't then click on the file headers (e.g. name, size, date) to sort, I have to go to a menu.
You can still do that if you change the grouping to none.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by chasg View Post
Hi All,

I'm getting very frustrated with this problem: when I restart my Mac (running OSX 10.7.3), all of my Finder windows are closed.
Oh hey, the same just recently started to happen on my Mac as well!
The difference: I like it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules