Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What should I set my system volume at for line out audio?

What should I set my system volume at for line out audio?
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 9, 2005, 12:53 PM

The DB hamster ate the original post, but with your concise title, I can give it a good shot.

Full volume. Even full volume on a Mac's line out/headphone jack isn't quite up to full line level, I have found.

For example, on my receiver, the same CD played from my Mac has to be turned up 10db higher than the same CD on the (digitally connected) DVD player.

I have found this to be the case across Mac models as far back as I can tell.

tooki

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 01:28 PM

Hey tooki,

It's weird though, I have a Sony Discman, and when I plug in my headphones to the normal headphones jack and crank the volume to 10, it's very very very loud, but when I plug the headphones into the Line Out port on the back, it's relatively quiet. That's what led me to think that setting the volume at 50-80% would be the best.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 03:15 PM

often the headphone jack on a device is louder than the line outs, as there is a preamp on the head jack.

as a rule, keep the level at maximum on your mac for audio out; work your way down only if need be.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules