Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iBook sporadically connecting and disconnecting from WAP

iBook sporadically connecting and disconnecting from WAP
robirr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 01:42 AM

Sometimes my iBook will refuse to hold a connection. It will show 4 little signal's in the top right hand corner, but the next second it will disconnect. It continues to do this and it is literally impossible to access the internet. This is really frustrating and if anyone had a solution it would be appreciated!

I forgot to mention, when I got my iBook back from repair this problem occured, but after I tried it again this issue wasn't prevelent. It seems to come and go, but for the past 2-3 days it has been tempermental.

This iBook is like an expensive sports car. I love it and all, but as soon as one thing is fixed.. another thing breaks!

Thanks,
Rob

Insaneous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 04:38 PM

I am working on this exact problem with two other people. There are a couple of factors involved, distance and barriers between the iBook and the WAP are the most common. There is a good possibility for interference as well. Microwave ovens, wireless phones, and Bluetooth devices all use the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Also neighbors with wireless networks could be causing interference. I am working directly with an Apple Genius and am myself a certified Apple consultant. I will post any new developments to this thread as they become available.

Matt
Be out of trouble & into what works.
http://www.ondecktech.com
http://forums.ondecktech.com

robirr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Insaneous:
I am working on this exact problem with two other people. There are a couple of factors involved, distance and barriers between the iBook and the WAP are the most common. There is a good possibility for interference as well. Microwave ovens, wireless phones, and Bluetooth devices all use the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Also neighbors with wireless networks could be causing interference. I am working directly with an Apple Genius and am myself a certified Apple consultant. I will post any new developments to this thread as they become available.

Matt
Same problem occurs even when the laptop is placed within 6" of the base station.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2005, 08:14 PM

Getting your laptop within six inches of the base station is probably overloading the receiver in the AirPort card. If you move it away, does it get better really quickly?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

robirr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Getting your laptop within six inches of the base station is probably overloading the receiver in the AirPort card. If you move it away, does it get better really quickly?
I was just making a point that nomatter how close/far I am.. the same issue occurs.

Insaneous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by robirr:
Same problem occurs even when the laptop is placed within 6" of the base station.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had the same experience with the people I am helping. The information I listed above are guidelines, not necessarily the solution. In this particular case it appears that the distance is not a factor.

Matt
Be out of trouble & into what works.
http://www.ondecktech.com
http://forums.ondecktech.com

robirr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2005, 02:19 AM

haha, this problem is so odd.. magically it started connecting to the router again..

i guarantee in a couple days the same thing will occur though

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 3, 2005, 03:22 PM

haha, this problem is so odd.. magically it started connecting to the router again..

i guarantee in a couple days the same thing will occur though
That's a really big clue that there's some kind of interference causing your disconnects. Any 2.4GHz signal could do it, whether it's a baby monitor, cordless phone, leaky old microwave oven-anything that puts out a 2.4GHz signal.

Of course the trick is to locate that signal source...That's a toughie. How friendly are you with your closest neighbors? You could ask them about cordless phones and the like. Another tack to take is to change the channel your network is on. Go to one end or the other and see whether the disconnect problem crops up again. If it does, go to the OTHER end and watch some more.

robirr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 12:21 AM

Yea, I tested out my iBook at my friends house and it connected to his WAP flawlessly. Its obviously some sort of interference thing . . .

I unplugged the microwave and that didn't really help at all. We don't have any 2.4ghz phones either :/

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2005, 08:21 AM

Yea, I tested out my iBook at my friends house and it connected to his WAP flawlessly. Its obviously some sort of interference thing . . .

I unplugged the microwave and that didn't really help at all. We don't have any 2.4ghz phones either :/
Neighbors? Does the connection problem follow a time-pattern? (I.E. no earlier than 6pm, clears up after 9pm?)

You might consider relocating your WAP to a different spot; it could be as simple as that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules