Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X, a 64 bit operating system

OS X, a 64 bit operating system
NordicMan
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2006, 10:29 PM

How inclined to the IBM PowerPC(G5) cpus will the 64 bit abilities of OS X Leopard be? What me know? I have not seen much written on this.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 11:54 PM

The application frameworks in Leopard will be able to be used with 64-bit code. Same case with Core 2 Duo and Xeon.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Nov 24, 2006, 05:37 AM

10.4's Unix part is 64 bit on G5s already so you can access more than 4 GB of RAM for instance already. 10.5 will be fully 64 bit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2006, 06:53 AM

That is good to hear. One wonders for what time the PPC will be part and parcel of the Mac OS development. Through 2007, I reckon, if the original timeline is followed for transition(I think that was the original timeline), so through Leopard's life. One hopes beyond. I already have an intel iMac, but I do like the G5.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 10:10 AM

I'm sure the release after Leopard will still support G5 Macs. I'm not so sure about G4 Macs, but G5 Macs will certainly be supported.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2006, 03:53 PM

If I were to buy a 2.0 macbook now would it be worth it or would I need to get another one when Leopard comes out to use that OS to its full potential?

I know theres a lot of 64bit stuff in leopard woul the macbook i buy now support those features in leopard?

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post
If I were to buy a 2.0 macbook now would it be worth it or would I need to get another one when Leopard comes out to use that OS to its full potential?

I know theres a lot of 64bit stuff in leopard woul the macbook i buy now support those features in leopard?
Oh, if you buy a MacBook now, it surely will run Leopard. It depends on what you need your MacBook for and how soon you need it.

I almost got a MacBook now, just after Thanksgiving. I wanted a matte screen, however, the MacBook has the glossy. I have elected to wait and see what happens in the next year.

Of course, if you are well able to wait and not suffer for the waiting, then you will not pay the upgrade cost of the new version of the OS.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 26, 2006, 04:46 PM

The current MacBook fully supports all 64bit features in Leopard.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2006, 01:06 PM

sounds good...
So I can run leopard to its full ability on my c2d macbook now without having to upgrade anything except the os?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post
sounds good...
So I can run leopard to its full ability on my c2d macbook now without having to upgrade anything except the os?
The OS will run. You'll miss out, either in terms of performance or features, in some apps because the MacBook video card isn't fast enough, but you can't upgrade that.
Given Apple's trend with recent OSs you'll probably want more memory, but it isn't necessary.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 28, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The OS will run. You'll miss out, either in terms of performance or features, in some apps because the MacBook video card isn't fast enough, but you can't upgrade that.
Given Apple's trend with recent OSs you'll probably want more memory, but it isn't necessary.
I think he was strictly talking about being able to run Leopard to its full 64-bit ability...this is, afterall, a thread about the 64-bitness of Leopard.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 01:23 PM

What's the point of 64 bit on the MacBook if the MacBook doesn't support more than 2 GB RAM?

Serious question.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
What's the point of 64 bit on the MacBook if the MacBook doesn't support more than 2 GB RAM?

Serious question.
Because there's more to 64-bit than the increased amount of RAM 64-bit CPUs can allocate -- like say, more registers. :-P

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 06:06 PM

yes exactly the point horespoo!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think he was strictly talking about being able to run Leopard to its full 64-bit ability...this is, afterall, a thread about the 64-bitness of Leopard.

and yes I was talking about that!

Forum Links
Forum Rules