Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Monitors for Mac Minis query

Monitors for Mac Minis query
NordicMan
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 06:01 AM

I found a decent deal on a G4 Mac Mini, with the 64 MB Radeon 9200, and the 1.5 Ghz, for employee's use. The Radeon's specs are for 1600x1200, 1280x 1024, 1920x 1080. So for a larger Apple display, it works fine. The 20" Apple display supports a newer 1680x1050.

I am just wondering whether anyone has used the 20" Apple display with the G4 Mac Mini and how it went for them.

It doesn't seem like a soul should have trouble with using this Apple display, and yet it seems prudent to ask.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 08:38 AM

I have exactly that Mac mini and I also have a 20" ACD. I normally do't use the two together, but in the past I have actually hooked em up together. That worked perfectly fine. The G4 mini is no stunning performer but for casual use (web, mail, etc.) it should be fine.

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 07:13 PM

Finally got home. Thanks, Simon, for the response.

OK, since you have that particular Mac, have you tried out a new intel Mac Mini? If you have, how do you like them compared to the G4 mini?

I may get this Mini for our office, for the bookkeeper's use. We would be running excel, or some accounting software like Money Works Gold, and probably some web browsing. The thing that I am concerned about is for our secretary's eyes and convenience, and so I am thinking about a 20" Apple display, which I can find for a good deal less than new price. I just wanted to know that the Mac's graphics would take advantage of the wide screen. The various 22" Viewsonics and so forth seem to have problems with uneven brightness and failing pixels, which would just be distracting. Not that I would not want to save some money.

Otherwise, I probably would wind up getting the intel mini since I waited too long to get the Core Duo 20" iMac that was refurbished at Apple's Store.

az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 02:23 AM

I have that exact setup - 1.5 G4 mini and 20" ACD. The display is gorgeous and provides plenty of real estate for multiple windows of work at the same time. That monitor is one of the best computer-related purchases I've ever made. Bright, crisp, and pixel dense. Gotta love it.

The 1.5 G4 mini drives it well enough. Everyday use is fine - Safari, the Omni apps, Gimp, etc. It does bog down a bit when doing something 3D, though - like Google Earth as an example. But for typical office use, this combo should be just about perfect - small, quiet, and beautiful.

Regarding PPC vs intel, if you're going to be using Office, the PPC may be better for the short term - there is no universal binary for it yet, and it does tend to run a bit slow with Rosetta. That might be something to consider - especially if you don't plan on upgrading to the newest version of M$ Office ($$$) when it's released.

Matthew

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am debating the virtues of the matter of PPC Mini and intel Mini besides saving nearly 150$ or so.

Good to hear a satisfied customer.

And thank you for the answer to my question, that was just why I came here.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
Finally got home. Thanks, Simon, for the response.
Sure.

OK, since you have that particular Mac, have you tried out a new intel Mac Mini? If you have, how do you like them compared to the G4 mini?
I have used a few here at work but I don't own one. The CD based mini is definitely faster than the G4. I'd go so far as to say even in Office with Rosetta emulation, the G4 won't beat the CD. But I guess it all comes down to needs and money. If you can get the G4 for very cheap and all you're doing is Office and Safari, it might be ok. OTOH, if you're spending $1k on a mini and a 20" ACD, do you care about spending $100 more? I think it depends on your requirements and how tight your budget really is. In terms of the display both minis should handle it just fine.

NordicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 07:52 PM

It is good to hear from someone who has used both MacMinis. I read several of the threads on the Mac Mini intel, and the graphics system t hat shares RAM with the cpu. Quite interesting. The price would end up being around that 1000$ place, for the arrangement I was talking about. And so the intel MIni ends up being quite close in price, if you include 1 GB RAM in both of the machines. I think I am going to see if I find one of those core duo iMacs that were at Apple for 1200$, refurbished. The Mini is appealing, I must say, and so I very well may end up going that way. Thanks for the responses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules