Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > GE 19-in-1 Card Reader

GE 19-in-1 Card Reader
detnyre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 07:01 AM

Hi,

I purchased a 1 gig SD memory card and a 19-in-1 Card Reader from Walgreens yesterday to use with my mac and digital picture frame. The reader's packaging says it is compatible with OS X.

My 1.67mhz Powerbook G4 running Tiger 10.4.8 does not recognize the card reader with the SD card inserted into it.

I removed all of my USB devices (Keyboard, Mouse, USB Hub and Card Reader), powered down the laptop then powered it back on. Once booted I inserted the card reader and the SD memory into the reader. Still no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions before I return the card reader and try another model?

Derek

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 30, 2006, 12:59 PM

This reader/writer is listed in the Apple on line store (search for cm-2810), and should work well with OS X:

SmartDisk Thunderbolt USB 2.0 SD/Memory Stick Reader/Writer cm-2810

This site has a better price for it.

If it doesnt work with that reader, I would try a different memory card.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2006, 05:04 PM

I recently bought a Sony 17-in-1 card reader at Staples. Its a very nice looking unit - flat rectangle with an Apple-like brushed aluminum top. Looks very nice next to my Cinema Display and MacBook Pro. Here's a link to it on Amazon. The picture Amazon has doesn't quite do it justice... its much nicer looking in person (bright silver top shell). Handles virtually everything (CF, Microdrive, SD, miniSD, xD-Picture, MMC, SmartMedia, and Memory Stick including all the oddball Duo/Pro/Micro memory stick modules. Also operates at USB 2.0 speeds if you've got USB 2.0 port.

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I recently bought a Sony 17-in-1 card reader at Staples. Its a very nice looking unit - flat rectangle with an Apple-like brushed aluminum top. Looks very nice next to my Cinema Display and MacBook Pro. Here's a link to it on Amazon. The picture Amazon has doesn't quite do it justice... its much nicer looking in person (bright silver top shell). Handles virtually everything (CF, Microdrive, SD, miniSD, xD-Picture, MMC, SmartMedia, and Memory Stick including all the oddball Duo/Pro/Micro memory stick modules. Also operates at USB 2.0 speeds if you've got USB 2.0 port.

Sounds good. So you think this Sony is as good as the Lexar reader? I have not yet gotten a good reader.

Detnyre, I hope you get a reader that works well for you.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
Sounds good. So you think this Sony is as good as the Lexar reader? I have not yet gotten a good reader.

Detnyre, I hope you get a reader that works well for you.
Sorry for the slow reply.
Can't say anything about the Lexar reader, but this Sony one I have works just as fast as my previous Dazzle USB 2.0 multicard reader, but it much nicer looking and less than half the size. And the Sony's USB cable is removable, which is very handy. Uses as USB to mini-USB type cable.

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Sorry for the slow reply.
Can't say anything about the Lexar reader, but this Sony one I have works just as fast as my previous Dazzle USB 2.0 multicard reader, but it much nicer looking and less than half the size. And the Sony's USB cable is removable, which is very handy. Uses as USB to mini-USB type cable.
Thanks for the reply Cadaver. Will have to look at the Sony when I get to an electronics store.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2007, 04:32 PM

GE's USB products are not very good on the whole. I got a simple 4-port USB2 hub and it stopped my G5 from auto sleeping. It also reached about 180 degrees, so it's now in a landfill somewhere. I'm not buying cheap stuff like that anymore, it's just not worth the $10 savings from buying something nicer.

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich View Post
GE's USB products are not very good on the whole. I got a simple 4-port USB2 hub and it stopped my G5 from auto sleeping. It also reached about 180 degrees, so it's now in a landfill somewhere. I'm not buying cheap stuff like that anymore, it's just not worth the $10 savings from buying something nicer.

So which reader(s) do you like then?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
So which reader(s) do you like then?
I've had no problems with the Dazzle USB 2.0 multicard reader I had (though replaced it simply because of size/cosmetic issues). Went one year of heavy use without a problem.

I've had two SanDisk readers. First one was a old, first generation USB 1.1 CompactFlash-only model. Worked just fine. Also had a SanDisk USB 2.0 multicard reader about 18 months ago - never worked quite right. It would disappear off the USB chain randomly. Pop a card in and... nothing. Had to repeatedly unplug/replug the thing. Replaced it with the Dazzle I mentioned above. Strangely, that SanDisk reader showed no evidence of being temperamental at all when connected to the PC I had at the time. Only on the PowerMac G5 I had at the time.

Lexar makes decent stuff AFAIK. They make a higher-end FireWire CF card reader, too, which looks to be nice.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 03:10 AM

Strange. I just went to the shop and bought the cheapest, no-name card reader they had. The case even said Windows only.

Plugged it in, works fine. Stuck an Apple sticker on top.

Forum Links
Forum Rules