Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A slight predicament

A slight predicament
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 09:55 AM

So I barely have any space on my hard drive. I think I have about 500mb left. I also have a season pass to a TV show on iTunes, and two new shows are available for download. Since each show is about 500mb a pop, there's no way i'm going to download it. An external hard drive purchase is in the near future.

My question, (warranting the 'Applications' heading) is this: since I have another, different tv show season downloaded, can I delete that show from my hard drive, in order to make space for the new one, but be able to get the original tv show back from itunes without paying it for a second time, when I want to watch it again?
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2007, 10:00 AM

You should be able to "check for purchased" whatever and redownload it (look at the Advanced menu in iTunes), but try it and see how well it works. I've never tried it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 12:33 PM

I think check for purchases is for undownloaded items. After you download, iTunes gives you the option of backing up what you just downloaded, because you can only download it once (I one time had to fight with customer service to let me download something that I had downloaded about 6 months earlier, and when they finally agreed it made me download EVERYTHING i had purchased in the past 6 months over, not just the one specific thing I needed).

i'd suggest burning the show to a DVD if you don't have an external to make sure you don't lose it.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 01:58 PM

You need the drive sooner rather than later. You'll run into all SORTS of issues if that drive fills up. 500 MB is WAY too little space.

Forget about the dilemma -- you really can't do ANYTHING until you get a new drive, unless you delete about 10 GB of stuff.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
You need the drive sooner rather than later. You'll run into all SORTS of issues if that drive fills up. 500 MB is WAY too little space.

Forget about the dilemma -- you really can't do ANYTHING until you get a new drive, unless you delete about 10 GB of stuff.
I'll first try burning the old show to DVD as Nodnarb said. As for external HDs, do you have any recommendations, or can you point me to a thread about it. The research I've done tells me that Western Digital is crap, and the others are so-so.

Thanks for everyone's help
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 05:31 PM

Seagate and an external firewire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules