Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari Crashes At Startup

Safari Crashes At Startup
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2008, 04:59 AM

Hey all;

So for absolutely no reason whatsoever, Safari has started locking up on me whenever I start it up. I start it, the Safari menu appears in the top menu, but all I get is a beach ball cursor, and that's it. After a few minutes, I've had to Force Quit it every time. I've tried several restarts, deleting preferences, and restoring the application from a Time Machine backup - nothing works. Fortunately, I also have Firefox, which seems to be working fine.

The only thing I did between the last timeI started it up and this time was to burn a disc in Toast. I can hardly imagine that did much of anything. But obviously, something got corrupted.

So can anyone think of a fix? Or, if not, does anyone know how I can completely uninstall and completely reinstall Safari?

I'm on a 1st Gen MacBook, 10.5.5, 2GB RAM, in case you're interested.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 05:05 AM

Yeah, those inexplicable crashes are difficult at times, especially when you've performed the normal remedies like deleting preferences and still get no satisfaction. Are there any relevant Console messages?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2008, 05:54 AM

How would I find any relevant console messages?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 06:13 AM

Not entirely sure. Look around the Log List in Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2008, 11:45 PM

This is what I got in Console between a couple crashes/restarts:

Does that shed light on anything?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 01:49 AM

It references the MagicMenuHotKeyDaemon (whatever that may be) right after Safari gets terminated. Can you try disabling that?

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2008, 10:31 AM

How would I go about doing that?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 12:54 PM

Isn't MagicMenu part of a StuffIt Deluxe installation?, I can remember it from Mac OS 9 days… when it was sort of worth.

Cold Warrior
Oct 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

Delete com.apple.safari from ~/Library/Caches

What do you have in hard drive/Library/InputManagers?

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the help so far, all.

Yes, I did install Stuffit Deluxe recently. If there's a way to turn Magic Menu off, I'd like to. I can quit it, but I can't seem to tell it not to load at startup.

I already deleted com.apple.safari from ~/library/Caches, and that didn't help.

I don't have an InputManagers folder under /hard drive/Library. I have InputMethods, but no InputManagers.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 09:17 AM

I'm not sure where it's located, but that daemon definitely appears to be the cause of a variety problems for other people. You may need to do an Archive and Install if you can't figure out where it's located.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2008, 05:28 PM

Well, tried everything. Nothing works. And this is the second time in six months this has happened to me - the first over this summer, which I solved by a reformat/reinstall of the OS. So, with no further ideas, I've just given up on Safari. I deleted the application and every support file I could find, and changed my default browser to Firefox. So, better luck next time, Apple - maybe I'll try Safari again when a new version release comes out.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 12:59 AM

It's not Safari. Do you have any Safari "extensions" like Saft? Your Console log isn't showing anything... you need to post the Safari crash logs themselves... they'll be in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log and will probably indicate you have a plug-in (Flash, Saft, SafariStand, 1Password, PithHelmet) which is causing the crash.

The reason the OS re-install fixed the issue is it was a while before you re-installed whatever extension is causing your issues. In 6 years of using Safari on multiple machines, I've seriously had it crash like 10 times.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2008, 02:52 AM

Found them, but when I double click on one it brings up a console window which is blank except at the bottom it says I do not have permission to read this log.

gustavopi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 08:02 PM

I'm already got the same trouble, crashing Safari at start. In my case, was a DivX plug-in version. Something very specific. I'd made a downgrade to a previous version and wait for a new release. At this point Safari returns to work. Than I install a newer version and noproblemo.

Something is making Safari to crash, you should research for last changes on your system. Safari is a good quickly browser - I think you should fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules