Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Poll: 74 percent of Americans say Congress out of touch

Poll: 74 percent of Americans say Congress out of touch
art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 01:19 PM

Does this poll surprise anyone?

It seems that Americans, regardless of political affiliation, are tired of the BS coming out of Washington.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2006, 01:44 PM

I wonder if the 3000 pre0election scandals coming out of washington haven't padded this a bit. (Not that I disagree)

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 01:56 PM

Another interesting aspect of the article stated that 60% of non college grads believed it was impossible to achieve the "American Dream" while 38% of college grads said so.

I imagine many people would focus on the 60% of non college grads and say that a college degree pays off. However 38% of college grads saying its impossible to acheive the American Dream(whatever that is these days) is quite large IMO. That part of the article struck me I guess because recently a few of my friends with Master's degrees aren't able to afford to purchase their own homes or save for retirement.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I wonder if the 3000 pre0election scandals coming out of washington haven't padded this a bit. (Not that I disagree)
No doubt they've had an impact but, looking back to last year, I recall Congress having lower approval ratings than Bush when he was at the bottom of his popularity. It seems that across the board we, as a nation, aren't thrilled with our leadership.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Another interesting aspect of the article stated that 60% of non college grads believed it was impossible to achieve the "American Dream" while 38% of college grads said so.

I imagine many people would focus on the 60% of non college grads and say that a college degree pays off. However 38% of college grads saying its impossible to acheive the American Dream(whatever that is these days) is quite large IMO. That part of the article struck me I guess because recently a few of my friends with Master's degrees aren't able to afford to purchase their own homes or save for retirement.
I'm with you, the high number of college grads who are disillusioned is alarming. Whether it's true or not is beyond me.

Much like your friends we know some Ivy Leaguers who are so deep in the whole with college debt that they can't afford to buy homes. Many of them are approaching forty and still in that spot. Mind you, these are successful people -- among them lawyers and investment bankers that make huge salaries. In one instance we know a couple who moved to Cleveland, OH because they could get a house their for nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules