Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo PC Card not Mounting

Pismo PC Card not Mounting
tjcrebs
Mar 3, 2001, 01:51 PM

I've been using a PCMCIA-adapter (for my digital camera's compact falsh chip) for months now with no problems ever. (Pismo-400 and MacOS-9.0.4, Canon S-10 Sureshot camera)

Today, no cigar. I can see the PC Card device on the Apple System Profiler, but the PC-Card is not mounting to the Desktop. Canon's Powershot software can't mount the PCMCIA/PC-Card either.

Puzzling. I searched the past postings to this board--but no help. Anyone have any ideas (or a solution) before I call Apple. I don't think I've added any new extensions which could be conflicting. And Pismo still under warranty.

TIA, T.

Herodotus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2001, 03:03 PM

Try disabling the extension "Toast CD Reader" if you use Toast, that solved the problem for me. It not really that necessary an extension anyway.

if that does not work then perhaps experiment with the Authoring Support extensions from Itunes if you have them.

Hope it works.

Best,

Herodotus

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2001, 03:52 PM

Does it mount when you have the card in at start-up?
dave

[edit: fixed typo, deleted correction message -- tooki]
[ddionko: please just edit your post instead of posting a second one. It's the little icon of pen and paper. --tooki]

[This message has been edited by tooki (edited 03-04-2001).]

tjcrebs  (op)
Mar 4, 2001, 12:50 PM

Thanx Herodotus and Dave for posting fixes to my recent PCMCIA (PC-Card) problem.

Dave, restarted with the PCMCIA-Compact-Flash and it mounted at start-up. The Powershot software which accesses my digital photos worked fine too. It can't remount however, if I remove the PCMCIA card (without a restart). Thanx, again.

Herodotus, I disabled the "Toast CD Reader", and that did the trick too. The PCMCIA adapter mounts (without any restart), and the software works well again. However, the "Toast CD Reader" extension is necessary for my Yamaha-8824 Firewire-external CDRW (for mounting CDs). Sheesh, I guess I had added a new extension which caused this mount conflict.

Appreciate both fixes; this is a great forum.

Best Regards,
Terry J. Crebs
Registered Mining Geophysicist
Lakewood, Colorado

P.S. "Herodotus" is cool user name. I'm a big fan ancient Greek history too, as I'm presently researching the +5500-year old silver mines of Lavreotiki (20-km SE of Athens).

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2001, 01:46 PM

Glad to be of help... I had that similar problem with my Pismo... and that is what worked for me (also the Toast fix, which Herodotus posted)...
dave

cbh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2001, 02:47 PM

I found that going back to Toast 4.1 from 4.1.2 worked for me.

craig

tjcrebs  (op)
Mar 4, 2001, 06:30 PM

Thanks, Craig, for posting the Toast 4.1 option. Good to read that my upgrade to Toast-4.1.2 caused the conflict--I was pretty sure that I had PCMCIA support before I upgraded Toast Deluxe.

Hopefully, the recently announced Toast Titanium (version 5) will allow my PC Card to mount without restarting my Pismo.

Thanx again, T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules