Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quicktime Broadcaster/Streaming Server and live video feeds

Quicktime Broadcaster/Streaming Server and live video feeds
Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 02:33 PM

I'd like to be able to stream live video. It won't be to a whole lot of users, just about 10-20 max I think. I'm a bit confused by the software. As I understand it, you use broadcaster to send stuff to a Streaming Server, which then sends the data to the clients.

I will be using a laptop which will be on a standard home broadband connection... the connection is not mine so I can't open any incoming ports. The server I have to work with runs linux.

My question is, does the fact that I can't open any ports matter? Do you need incoming ports open on the broadcasting machine? (I can, of course, open ports on the server.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 11:23 PM

i don't think the ports should be an issue, but haven't tested this myself. my real input: look into www.playstream.com for the streaming server service if this is going to be an occasional thing.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
� just about 10-20 max �

a standard home broadband connection...
don't expect to much!
for "broadcasting" the UPLOAD connection is improtant! that's why it's called Adsl - Asnchronous means: fast download, slow upload (normaly 728 vs 128)...

but maybe, your home broadband is a lil' different to mine

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 09:10 AM

Ah yes, didn't think of that.

Personally my home broadband is 512 download, 256 upload. But the video stuff we're planning will be done on lots of people's connections. Will have to remember to ask them.

I'm not going to be sending to all the users from that connection. I have a web server which I'll hopefully install Darwin Streaming Server on.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules