Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What's a HP DESKJET 5652 like?

What's a HP DESKJET 5652 like?
Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 03:07 PM

Just ordered a HP Deskjet 5652 from the Apple store. It came with a huge rebate, so cost me very little.

The specs seem good, cartridges seem expensive. The last HP printer I used was a Deskjet 690 - that was terrible quality but reliable. I gave it to a friend; I think it's still going.

So, what kind of printer am I getting?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 11:30 AM

no-one has any experiences?
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2003, 06:41 PM

I have experience with the Deskjet 5650 and I believe that the difference is that the 5652 comes with a duplexer. The printer is capable of producing very nice output. Text is sharp and clear and it also has the ability to print photo's using a six color system. However, this printer has terrible drivers. And because of that I am contemplating returning my printer back to Costco for a refund.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
However, this printer has terrible drivers. And because of that I am contemplating returning my printer back to Costco for a refund.
Oh dear... terrible in what way?

This one is ordered from Apple, so I'll take it up with them if it's really bad...

Amorya

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Oh dear... terrible in what way?

This one is ordered from Apple, so I'll take it up with them if it's really bad...

Amorya
My 5650 seems to lock up and sometimes does not print all of the page(s). At this point the driver will not start up the printer either. I have to manually turn on the printer before it will print. Also it will not save its settings. If you establish that you want the printer to print in fast draft mode everytime, you will have to select fast draft each time you print. This needs to be done despite the appearance that the default is fast draft.

seann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:21 AM

A trick I figured out for saving the settings
is when you create your preset
you have to click on it twice!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 02:39 PM

I work in a tech shop for my university and we run into one of these every once in a while and they're trouble. You can only repair the desktop, trash preferences, and reinstall printer drivers so many times. What we've had to end up doing is telling users not to buy these printers, the OS 9 drivers are crap. I have not tried this printer on Mac OS X, but I'd be curious to see how they work.

The problem with the 5650 series is that they have no processor onboard, so all processing must be done computer-side through drivers. I think the 3200 series suffers from this as well, I recall having a bear of a time trying to troubleshoot a user's 3250 (I think it was) in OS 9.

Stay away from HP deskjets, man! Do yourself a favor, get a Laserjet. I picked up a nice Samsung ML-1750 for $90 refurbished... I think they're about $140 new.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

seann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 02:43 PM

Use the 5.4 driver and you should have no problems in OS 9 for the Deskjet 5150 and 5650 printers.

These printers print plain old PCL.

"Host based" printers are only for windows, and those are in the 700 series.

The 6.1.1 driver however requires up to date software.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 08:03 PM

A friend of mine has the HP Deskjet 5650 and uses it in OSX without any problems whatsoever. HP may not have the best drivers, but in my experience they are getting better and better. Just make sure you install an up-to-date driver from HP's website and you should be fine.

For the record, my HP Photosmart 7660 prints wonderful photos and crisp text. If anyone is looking for a reliable, low priced printer, this one hasn't given me any problems to speak of.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 12:33 AM

They are junk. They look good in pics but are really junky plastic when you see it in person.

Also the mac drivers will be nothing but trouble for you.

Most important HP has some of the highest cost per page as they charge a fortune for ink. You have to remember that they lose money on the sale of each printer and make it back through ink. Even though you got the printer for next to nothing you will waste a ton of money on ink in the near future.

Best thing to do is sell it sealed and get a Canon printer with the money. They have very cheap ink and excellent mac drivers. The print quality is also outstanding.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
They are junk. They look good in pics but are really junky plastic when you see it in person.
In the stores I visited in my quest for an all around solid photo printer, I found the build quality of HP printers considerably more solid than that of the Canon printers I looked at. In one of the Canon models (not one of the newest ones) a button even broke off the machine I was testing. This was unacceptable and only made my decision to buy an HP printer that much easier.

Also the mac drivers will be nothing but trouble for you.
HP's old drivers have apparently burned you in the past. In my own experience, HP's drivers have worked perfectly for me for the last three years I've used them. I have absolutely no complaints and if I did have a problem with their drivers, I would not hesitate to point it out.

Most important HP has some of the highest cost per page as they charge a fortune for ink. You have to remember that they lose money on the sale of each printer and make it back through ink. Even though you got the printer for next to nothing you will waste a ton of money on ink in the near future.
Canon's printers have typically proven to be more cost effective when it comes to cost per page. However, all those individual Canon ink tanks will add up in the long run as well. All inkjet makers make their money through ink, even Canon. Lastly, I haven't found the money I've spent on ink cartridges to be wasteful. When I print out pictures that mean something to me, it's worth every cent. If you are in the business of printing photos all day long, than an HP inkjet is probably the wrong printer for you, due to the cost of inks, but for the average person it is fine.

Best thing to do is sell it sealed and get a Canon printer with the money. They have very cheap ink and excellent mac drivers. The print quality is also outstanding.
Recent HP printers aren't terrible, as Disguntled would have you believe. My advice is to do some research online, and buy the printer that you are most comfortable with after visiting a store and seeing some in person.

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Sep 30, 2004 at 02:58 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 02:56 AM

I have a HP 640C, which is more than 4 years old. Still works fine. We originally had 2, but one of them was broken by a little kid... don't know how he did it. At Lead On there is a much later Deskjet, which has been good and bad. Good for cartridge life and bad because of the driver slowing down the Windows ME system. Windows ME should be declared a virus.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
In the stores I visited in my quest for an all around solid photo printer, I found the build quality of HP printers considerably more solid than that of the Canon printers I looked at. In one of the Canon models (not one of the newest ones) a button even broke off the machine I was testing. This was unacceptable and only made my decision to buy an HP printer that much easier.Noah
Well that is an excellent test. Funny thing is all the stores I have been to just about every printer on the show floor is busted one way or another.

Good luck with that printer im_noahselby!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 05:21 PM

I own a 5650 and up until recently the drivers have been poor. They have steadily gotten better but they are slow to invoke. The last driver created a new problem which HP has not been able to fix. The printer will not turn on automatically. And if you are using a duplexer than be prepared to wait for several seconds while the ink dries before it turns over the paper.

The most economical printers available which will give you the least number of head aches will be the Canon's. Most of the new Canon's come with two trays and a duplexer. And the drivers work much better with OS X.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by seann:
Use the 5.4 driver and you should have no problems in OS 9 for the Deskjet 5150 and 5650 printers.

These printers print plain old PCL.

"Host based" printers are only for windows, and those are in the 700 series.

The 6.1.1 driver however requires up to date software.
Version 5.4? Where'd you get those drivers? The HP website only lists the latest, 6.4 version drivers.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules