Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Current retail version of Snow Leopard?

Current retail version of Snow Leopard?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2011, 09:23 AM

My Mac Pro would need at least 10.6.4 to boot from DVD since it had been upgraded with an ATI Radeon HD 5770. Alas, I can't find a retail version of Snow Leopard newer than 10.6.3. Since I had purchased Snow Leopard 10.6.0 from the Online Apple Store, could I ask them for a newer DVD install disc.?

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 09:26 AM

10.6.3 is the latest released. I would suggest calling Applecare to see what they say, but I suspect the main reason they say that the card is only compatible with the 2010 Mac Pros is because there isn't a version of 10.6.4 available for older computers.
You'll probably need to install the older card in the event you need to reinstall your OS.

P
Jul 5, 2011, 11:37 AM

Go to Apple and download the Server Admin Tools. Most of the tools in the installation are intended for working with an OS X server, but there is one called System Image Utility. Using that Utility, you can create system installation image that includes newer updates. I never did it myself, but it seems to do what you want.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Go to Apple and download the Server Admin Tools. Most of the tools in the installation are intended for working with an OS X server, but there is one called System Image Utility. Using that Utility, you can create system installation image that includes newer updates. I never did it myself, but it seems to do what you want.
That just builds an image of a disk, primarily for netbooting purposes. It doesn't make an OS installer.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2011, 09:38 PM

I remember doing some research on this a couple of years back, and never found any way to do this successfully. I'm not aware of things having changed unfortunately.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

P
Jul 11, 2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
That just builds an image of a disk, primarily for netbooting purposes. It doesn't make an OS installer.
In the application you can indeed make a NetBooting image, but you can also make a NetInstall image (from an OS X install disc). AFAICT, that NetInstall image can just as easily be burned to a disc as used over the network. Keep in mind that I never tested this, but it seems to be possible.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2011, 10:36 PM

Hmm.. I find this confusing.

There is netBOOT, netINSTALL, and netRESTORE.

What I would love is a 10.6.8 netINSTALL that will install on all current hardware..

We can create 10.6.8 neboots and netrestores, but not a netinstall.

P
Jul 12, 2011, 01:06 PM

You have to select an installation source (ie, the OS X DVD) before you're permitted to select NetInstall - for some reason. OTOH. it may be easier to make a fresh installation on one Mac, update it as far as you like, and then make a NetRestore image from that.

That tool is highly confusing, but there is a manual of sorts here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules