Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Official Plex media streaming client now available for new Apple TV

Official Plex media streaming client now available for new Apple TV
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 3, 2015, 12:20 PM

Late yesterday, and as promised, the Plex media streaming app was made available for the new Apple TV. The combination server and Apple TV app were developed by the same team that created the Apple TV hack for a jailbroken device, and utilizes both the iOS app codebase as well as implementation of new technologies.

The Plex Apple TV app and required server takes video, music and photos from personal media libraries and streams them to the new Apple TV, and other devices. The server is available for Windows, Linux, OS X and some network attached storage devices, with client applications available for computers, game consoles, Android, iOS, and now the Apple TV.

Integrated Plex media channels are available for online content providers such as YouTube, Vimeo, TEDTalks, and CNN. Plex also provides integration for cloud services including Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Copy and Bitcasa. Plex uses FFmpeg and other open source libraries to handle nearly all common multimedia formats - - DRM protected files such as iTunes purchases cannot be played back through Plex.

The Plex client and server apps are both free, with a universal client for iOS and tvOS. Some features, such as video playback over one minute in length, are unlockable through in-app purchase -- in essence, the in-app purchase is mandatory for proper functionality of the app. MacNN is currently evaluating both the server and client versions of Plex.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM. )

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 3, 2015, 12:40 PM

The client is free to download, but not free to use. You have to pay the in-app purchase of $4.99 to be able to stream to your device.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 3, 2015, 12:53 PM

The client is free to test on a local area network, yes. I'll clarify the language a bit.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Nov 3, 2015, 06:13 PM

THIS, IMO, is the big deal about the new Apple TV. (Can't wait to get one and try it!)

(Streaming TV/movie content via apps or to various devices might be what Jobs 'cracked' way back when, but most of us have been doing it in one form or another for years, with our without Apple TV. I haven't had broadcast for nearly a decade or cable TV for a half-decade.)
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2015, 04:55 AM

If you own on iOS you don't need to repay 4.99 again on TVos.
Your flex login will remember.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 4, 2015, 11:12 AM

I had purchased the Plex license when it was $4.99 to download. I don't know if that license applies to the "new" ATV client/ IAP.

Regardless, I've been using Plex on my Rokus with my Mac Mini server for years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules